Wedding Woes
Options

This is something you bring up to your therapist.

Dear Prudence,

I am due to be married in a few weeks to my fiancé whom I truly love, and in so many ways I look forward to being his husband. (We are gay men in our early thirties.) We have been together a little over two years, and we are extremely different in almost every way. We have dramatically different careers, families, academic histories, religious backgrounds, etc.

Despite all of that, we have never had a fight, and I would say we communicate very well. Between the two of us, we also have two therapists, a spiritual director, and a pre-marital counselor. I have often said that someone too much like myself and in a similar career would have made me think about work all the time, and I’d never have time to just be a human being. But now I’m questioning whether that’s all just a self-justification.

I have a friend “Joe” from my hometown, across the country from where I currently live, who is also in my career field (also a gay man about the same age). We’ve known each other a few years, but never dated or even talked romantically, partly because we met after I had moved away, around the time I started dating my current fiancé. I see this friend every day on social media, and we share many mutual friends. He and I are so alike in every way that I am unlike my fiancé. Lately I’ve been thinking about this friend very often, mostly wondering what could have been and sometimes even wondering if I could be making a mistake in getting married.

I don’t think I want to blow up my soon-to-be-marriage for the thought of a person with whom I don’t even know if there’s any mutual attraction, but I also don’t know how to stop being wracked with self-doubt. Please help!

— Magnetic Attraction

Re: This is something you bring up to your therapist.

• Options
    "Current fiance"?? 

LW, take a big breath and figure out if you're having cold feet or doubts in the relationship.  It's not unusual to have a freak out before getting married.  What is a problem is if you actually shouldn't get married and then do. 
  • Options
    Talk to your therapist ASAP. It may be pre-wedding nerves, or it may be doubts about your relationship with your fiance. Or perhaps a general fear of commitment? 

Whatever it is, you shouldn't dump your fiance to pursue something with someone that you've really only interacted with online. But if there's a bigger issue at hand, maybe a postponement is worth considering. It's better to postpone and give yourself time to think than to get married and end up divorced a year later.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    "Current fiance"?? 

LW, take a big breath and figure out if you're having cold feet or doubts in the relationship.  It's not unusual to have a freak out before getting married.  What is a problem is if you actually shouldn't get married and then do. 
    I caught that too. I wonder if LW has been engaged before but didn't note it
  • Options
    I don't think this is about "Joe" at all.  Even if the LW were single, they still live across the country and Joe might have zero interest in him anyway.  Like the LW mentioned, they've never even had a conversation like that.

But most importantly, the LW is having doubts about if his fiance is the right person for him.  He should speak to his therapist and try to work out those feelings.  Hopefully determine if they are just nerves or if there is something more to it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    I almost wonder if between the two therapists, spiritual advisor, and pre-marital counselor, if there are too many people IN this relationship.  It may be why LW is imagining Joe, because he's uncomplicated and just one person.  

Maybe LW should take some time away from social media and all the 'experts' in their life to come back to themselves, find some clarity, and listen to what they truly want.  It seems like there's a lot of noise right now.  

Also, 'never' having a fight is not a badge of honor or an achievable goal.  It's actually a sign that someone, or both, may be repressing their needs, wants, desires in the relationship.  Sometimes what you want is in direct conflict with your partner, and that's OK. 
    Yup.  "I don't know....what do YOU want to do???" 

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    I almost wonder if between the two therapists, spiritual advisor, and pre-marital counselor, if there are too many people IN this relationship.  It may be why LW is imagining Joe, because he's uncomplicated and just one person.  

Maybe LW should take some time away from social media and all the 'experts' in their life to come back to themselves, find some clarity, and listen to what they truly want.  It seems like there's a lot of noise right now.  

Also, 'never' having a fight is not a badge of honor or an achievable goal.  It's actually a sign that someone, or both, may be repressing their needs, wants, desires in the relationship.  Sometimes what you want is in direct conflict with your partner, and that's OK. 
    This is what I was thinking. Never fighting at all often means that one of you is being too polite to be honest. 

This isn't really about Joe at all. You're wondering about the road not taken. Maybe it's just cold feet, but it could also be your subconscious telling you that this isn't quite right. If you do call this off or even hit pause, it would not be for "the thought of a person with whom I don’t even know if there’s any mutual attraction." It would be because you know something feels off.