Wedding Woes

High, it's Wednesday

Happy 4/20, if you celebrate.  

What's up?  Mostly SSDD around here. Worky, work and all that. 

How's the H, @banana468

Re: High, it's Wednesday

• I’m so sorry @banana468, how are the kids doing? 
  • Starting to maybe turn a corner? A bit? I tried to run last night and this morning and I had to stop so often but I’m finally starting to feel a bit better. 

And it’s stopped snowing! It’s still cold but at least there is sun!
  • @banana468, continued good wishes for your H.  I hope his friend is doing well also, all things considered.

Some exciting and unusual real estate news for me last night.

One of the applicants for our 2 bed/1bath rental we currently have an ad up for in East NOLA, expressed an interest and told me she has a Section 8 voucher.  When I hear that, I always qualify that it is at least a 2-bed voucher.  She told me it is actually a 3-bed one, but she's had so much trouble finding a 3-bed, that she's happy to settle for a 2-bed.

Lightbulb on.  I mention we actually have a 3 bed/2 bath coming up on the Westbank in another few days.  I can e-mail her a few pics, if she would potentially be more interested in that one.  She was.  I sent the pics.  She FB messaged me back within minutes that she loves it and wants to rent it!  We spoke on the phone last night and are meeting at that home this evening.  Assuming she still likes it, in person.  She is coming prepared to give us the deposit and fill out the application.

We also got more applications in for the 2 bed/1 bath.  One of them really stands out and I'm calling references today.

-----------------------------------------------

But now for the really unusual news.  Someone called my H about wanting to buy the property "rent to own".  My H explained it's a duplex, not a SFH, but that we have a SFH we'd be open to that for.

Here's the even weirder part.  Normally, these types of transactions are relatively short.  Like 3-5 years.  The buyer, for whatever reason, can't get a typical bank loan yet.  But could with more time and that's what they will do.  Then officially close on the house with a bank loan for whatever the remaining balance is, at that time.

However, this guy's situation is different.  He doesn't have a SSN, he's a Mexican citizen but lives out here now, and has no intention of getting a bank loan.  He wants to pay a large payment each month and essentially buy the house with cash, over time.  We've agreed on the house price and are now in negotiations about the down payment vs. "loan" payment each month.  I suspect he is in the country illegally, which I don't really care about.  Though I did do a quick double-check this morning to make sure a foreigner can buy a house with cash...which is essentially what this would be in the end...without a SSN.  They can.

I suspect nothing will come of this, but it's a bit exciting while it is happening.  It would be a good bit of risk on my end, but very lucrative in a couple ways in exchange for that risk.  If the deal goes through by the end of 5 years (or sooner, that's an option for them also), I'm selling it for about 15% more than it's current value and getting big chunks of cash for it right now.  If they back out of the deal at some point, they forfeit the deposit.  I'd return a portion of their monthly payments, but keep enough to cover the current market rent + about $300/month.

As an aside, for something like this if we come to an agreement, I'd be using a RE attorney for the RTO contract in order to protect both parties.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I’m so sorry @banana468, how are the kids doing? 
    Kids are loud!

So far I'm hearing sniffles a bit but it's hard to tell if it's anything.  Poor Chiquita is missing scouts today and an outside cookie sales opportunity Saturday.  DH is home through Monday and then on Monday he verifies symptoms for a possible Tuesday return. 

I'm hoping that being vaccinated we're all OK with whatever is thrown at us and if we need to reschedule w/ my parents we do.  With Chiquito's 1st Communion two weeks from Saturday that's something I'd really hate for him to miss with his class. 
  • I'm going to be celebrating tonight, but I use it for a sleep aid, so not that much fun.  

I'm actively seeking new employment.  This place is failing and I'm tired of it.   I'll have to take a hit on the 401K loan, but as long as I can get the salary I want, it's worth it.  I had to go back up to the 10mg of my meds, b/c I can't stop being angry or discouraged at work.  I'm tired of snapping at people and having to actively fight back to have my work boundaries respected.  Then, what ending up happening is when I say no (for very good reasons that they can't fight back about), they send it to a paralegal who won't say no.  It's fine that this place is a money train, but the engine is dying and there's a lot of useless conductors.

Otherwise, SSDD.  The allergy shots yesterday made me sick this time.  I get 2 shots in one arm and 1 shot in the other.  I did just finish my period and I know that makes me more sensitive, but they hurt this time.  The 1 shot arm welted up and felt feverish.  So I went home and slipped off into sleep.  Started The Batman, but didn't finish it yet.

• Happy 420! I probably won't celebrate, but H will. Nothing much going on today. I'm meeting a friend of a friend who dog sits later to potentially keep doggo while we go to the beach so I don't have to board her. Spring is here and I badly need to cut the grass, but I'll probably put it off until the weekend. 
  • @banana468, continued good wishes for your H.  I hope his friend is doing well also, all things considered.

One of the applicants for our 2 bed/1bath rental we currently have an ad up for in East NOLA, expressed an interest and told me she has a Section 8 voucher.  When I hear that, I always qualify that it is at least a 2-bed voucher.  She told me it is actually a 3-bed one, but she's had so much trouble finding a 3-bed, that she's happy to settle for a 2-bed.

Lightbulb on.  I mention we actually have a 3 bed/2 bath coming up on the Westbank in another few days.  I can e-mail her a few pics, if she would potentially be more interested in that one.  She was.  I sent the pics.  She FB messaged me back within minutes that she loves it and wants to rent it!  We spoke on the phone last night and are meeting at that home this evening.  Assuming she still likes it, in person.  She is coming prepared to give us the deposit and fill out the application.

We also got more applications in for the 2 bed/1 bath.  One of them really stands out and I'm calling references today.

But now for the really unusual news.  Someone called my H about wanting to buy the property "rent to own".  My H explained it's a duplex, not a SFH, but that we have a SFH we'd be open to that for.

Here's the even weirder part.  Normally, these types of transactions are relatively short.  Like 3-5 years.  The buyer, for whatever reason, can't get a typical bank loan yet.  But could with more time and that's what they will do.  Then officially close on the house with a bank loan for whatever the remaining balance is, at that time.

However, this guy's situation is different.  He doesn't have a SSN, he's a Mexican citizen but lives out here now, and has no intention of getting a bank loan.  He wants to pay a large payment each month and essentially buy the house with cash, over time.  We've agreed on the house price and are now in negotiations about the down payment vs. "loan" payment each month.  I suspect he is in the country illegally, which I don't really care about.  Though I did do a quick double-check this morning to make sure a foreigner can buy a house with cash...which is essentially what this would be in the end...without a SSN.  They can.

I suspect nothing will come of this, but it's a bit exciting while it is happening.  It would be a good bit of risk on my end, but very lucrative in a couple ways in exchange for that risk.  If the deal goes through by the end of 5 years (or sooner, that's an option for them also), I'm selling it for about 15% more than it's current value and getting big chunks of cash for it right now.  If they back out of the deal at some point, they forfeit the deposit.  I'd return a portion of their monthly payments, but keep enough to cover the current market rent + about $300/month.

As an aside, for something like this if we come to an agreement, I'd be using a RE attorney for the RTO contract in order to protect both parties.
    Girl what even? You’re usually so on top on your business deals and this is 100% too shady to be good. 

Girl what even? You’re usually so on top on your business deals and this is 100% too shady to be good. 
    That's a fair response!  But I've also considered the "worst case scenarios".

With the contract written correctly, hence a major reason I'll be using an attorney, I can still evict them if they don't pay the monthly payment.  It takes slightly longer than for a typical rental agreement, but is still only 2-3 months.

The other gamble, on my end, is if the house appreciates more than 15% over the next 5 years.  That's possible but, historically, this has been a fairly stagnant area that hasn't seen much appreciation, except in the last year.  I don't think it will go up in value by 15% over the next 5 years and, if it does, I doubt it would be by that much more.  Plus I wouldn't be paying a 6% commission to REAs.

I know the stories in other parts of the country about "super competitive, house prices up 30-50%, impossible to buy a house unless it's cash and no contingencies" or "my rent is being raised (insert big $ amount)".  But that's not the RE market in NOLA.

House and rent prices have gone up some over the last couple years, but not by crazy amounts.  Roughly 10-20%.  But, for the areas I own my rentals in, it was more like 0-3% in the years before the current jump.  There could be another jump over the next year, but I think it will head back down to the more typical 0-3%.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MIssKittyDanger, so cute!  She's dressed perfectly for the rain.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MIssKittyDanger, so cute!  She's dressed perfectly for the rain.
    She was going for a walk with SFIL on Thursday. She rarely gets to use her umbrella so she's so excited lol
  • Now I'm pissed.

DH went to the show in NYC with a friend who brought a friend.   (DH's friend drove).  DH was masked for the entire show in NYC except to drink and eat and did not mask in the car.  

Last night the friend who drove advised that he was positive.  Today the friend said his wife was in bed all day.  The friend of a friend said, "Well I felt sick before the show so I'll test tonight but I'm not sure if it will change anything." 

REALLY!?   

Obviously there's no way to prove that even if this guy is + that he was the vector who gave it to H and his friend.  But it's surely looking that way.  And this is affecting Chiquita's selling of cookies this weekend, and could get the kids and me sick as well - and the dude didn't think that maybe even if he has bad allergies maybe he should test!? 

• @banana468 ffs to that dude - he doesn't give a fuck about repercussions! Like ffs seriously? Sick? Even without covid, don't fkn go out!
    I'm so mad for you
  • @banana468 ffs to that dude - he doesn't give a fuck about repercussions! Like ffs seriously? Sick? Even without covid, don't fkn go out!
    I'm so mad for you
    Thanks.  I'm annoyed.  Today I had to inform Chiquita's troop leader who said even though she's symptom free she can't attend the meetings or sell cookies until Sunday at the earliest.  My mom now knows and we're going to reschedule Sunday because there's no need to risk getting my parents or FBIL's parents sick.  And the church altar server coordinator knows because Chiquita's scheduled to serve Sunday and they should have right of refusal to have her and should also be prepared that she could not show.  Either way I've always had her serving wearing a KN95. 

And as someone who practices NFP - I enter phase 3 tomorrow so this was supposed to be go time!  It's awfully difficult to have that quality time when you're supposed to stay far apart from your spouse.  It's not like it can reach 6 feet. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2022
    I was sick before?!? Wth! I’d be livid with you @banana468
    @charlotte989875 keep on trucking, girl
    @MissKittyDanger, that is one happy kid in the rain. Lol.
    @short+sassy, you’re the the medicine cabinet of real estate “oh you want this? I have that for you!” :)

SSDD for me. So busy at work and I’m so tired I’m falling asleep at my desk. I’m finding the hardest time in the world getting a compression garment that doesn’t ride up to my elbow & cut circulation everytime I raise my arm! Ugh

• @charlotte989875 1 love your hair 2 bubby!!!
  • Ohhh the sweetness @charlotte989875! I’m sorry he’s struggling, but those snuggles are just so precious. Also, I love your hair. You’re adorbs. 
  • We were on our way to PA today and DD texted. Her in laws whom we were with for Easter and birthday celebrations are positive. Two of the other people that were there tested positive already. DD, SIL and the twins are negative so far. So H and I are holed up in a hotel with carryout pizza for dinner because we won't test until tomorrow morning (5 days post exposure). We both had boosters yesterdays so the tired and soreness we have could be from that but who knows? I feel bad for H because he was really looking forward to this weekend. The trustees at his college haven't met in person on campus since November of 2019. There is also a capitol campaign finale dinner this weekend that he really wanted to attend. Who knows, maybe we will be able to go. 

@banana468 I would be livid with the friend. @charlotte989875 your hair is gorgeous - hope LO feels better soon.
  • We've got crazy pollen here so I think BK's allergies are acting up.
    We may rapid test her tomorrow morning if the allergy meds don't work well.

My mum got her a digger because nearby they're doing road work and BK is obsessed. She brought her tiny digger home {bigger one at my mum's} and omg ...
    "No you can't sleep with the digger"
    "We can bring it in the car, but the digger stays in the car"

Emotion support digger lol
    I could hook her up - I work for a major construction company.  I have construction clothes, a blanket with the logo on it, and I got a toy just to take pictures of my rabbits in it.  

Work was a little tedious - I spent the day pointing out people's errors and coaching them.  I felt like the bad guy today, and I don't like feeling like the bad guy.  The joys of being a trainer.  

• Surprise!  Friend of friend has it.  

I feel like mild symptoms are starting.

• Well we both tested positive. Ugh! No real symptoms but it is hard to tell because it is allergy season for both of us.
  • UGHHH @banana468!  
    T+P's for you and @ILoveBeachMusic!  I hope it's mild for everyone.  
  • I hope it's mild for you @ILoveBeachMusic!

DH is in the basement working so the "good" part about his symptoms are that they're annoying but he can work through them.

If the kids get this there's no Zooming in and they just miss school.  It sucks for so many reasons since they'll just be home and idle. 

There's nothing I can do but I'm stewing.  I can't tell our friend, "You know your friend is an ass," because he's also sick and so is his wife.  We're not going to stop seeing our friend over this but it's really making me realize how many people will do what they need to do to get by for their own interests.  

• @ILoveBeachMusic. oh no!  And while you are on vacation for some events is extra bad.  It's like the vacation ended before it started.  I hope you all stay feeling well and are okay.

@banana468, I hope you and the kids stay well.  Sounds like your H is at least feeling better.  That's the amazing part, but in a bad way, of how a virus works.  The friend's friend has now gotten at least 3 people sick and possibly more if you and your kids catch it also.  He also possibly infected people at the car show that you all would never even know about.  All from one person.  Who may have gotten it from someone else that infected a lot of people.

I've been feeling really sick myself, since yesterday.  Nothing COVID symptoms.  I've just had an almost constant headache since yesterday morning, which is unusual for me.  I suspect it's from stress.  I'm thinking about taking a sick day after lunch.  Which I hate to do because work is really busy right now.

The double whammy is Thursday is when I usually start my weekly Costco scanning.  I already told my H I might not go at all and make up the time on Friday.  I'm playing it by ear.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh man, I'm sorry for all that are sick!! Hope everyone is better soon!
  • Baby snuggles @charlotte989875! Too cute

continued healing vibes go out to knotty members and family/friends who are sick or have covid.  In which there are many :(

• Ugh, I’m so sorry @banana468 and @ILoveBeachMusic. I hope everyone stays as healthy as possible.