Wedding Woes

Neighbor dog nuisance.

Dear Prudence,

I have had no problems with my neighbors who back up to my fence until recently. Their only daughter moved home with a husky mix. The dog is an escape artist and loves to escape into my backyard, as I have a pool. He is an affectionate lug, but I am tired of coming home to find my backyard a mess and a husky pawing at my back door. My neighbors are “sorry.” They are sorry every time the dog gets loose and poops in my yard, digs up my lawn, chews up my outdoor furniture, and claws my door. I have been patient because they have put their money where their mouth is. They have replaced my door, my furniture, and plants. Their daughter has apologized and promised it will never happen again.

It keeps happening. Legally, if a strange dog is on my property, I can call animal control, the dog will be taken away, and the owner fined. The problem is with our HOA—it allows large dogs, but if they become a “nuisance,” they will take severe action. And they don’t play around. Several years ago, a large dog got loose and attacked a smaller one while being walked by a little girl. She ended up badly needing stitches. The larger dog was put down, but he was a well-known escape artist in the community. I like my HOA. I actually voted for the measure when it came up.

I don’t want to use this. It will permanently sour my relationship with my neighbors at least, and I really don’t want anything to happen to the dog. But he isn’t mine and I want him out of my yard! (And he jumps over, i.e., not digging. It is a 6-foot-tall perfectly good fence.) Should I have a conversation with my neighbors where I lay down the law concretely (tell them the next time I am calling animal control) or just be vague (remind about our bylaws and ask about doggy day care) or something else? I am out of ideas.

—Gone Dog

Re: Neighbor dog nuisance.

• agree with banana 100%
  • If the LW doesn't mind, I wonder if they could ask the neighbor to install a higher barrier on the top of the fence.  I've seen some that are more designed for cats.  They aren't very pretty because they are wire but, at the top, they "curl" toward the pet owner's yard.  So it makes the fence higher and also much more difficult to climb because of the curl.

On the plus side, they are substantially cheaper than building a whole new higher fence.  That might be against HOA regulations anyway.  And they can also be easily put up or taken down, so they're not a permanent fixture to the fence.

But it's fair to give the owners one more warning that, while they appreciate their responsibility in taking care of the dog's damages, but the bad behavior needs to stop.  Whether that's crating and/or not letting the dog in the backyard, unless someone is there with him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker