Wedding Woes

First Monday in May

CharmedPamCharmedPam member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited May 2022 in Wedding Woes
I had a really good weekend.  Met the meetup organizer and her sister at a winery for lunch on Saturday.  Checked into my dilapidated b&b (pic for reference).  My friend goes “are they remodeling?” And I’m like…. Uh, no signs of that. I think it’s just on it’s last leg so they put up scaffolding infront of it to remain in code. But this is MY kinda place.  I was in heaven at a run down Victorian.  I booked a shared bathroom without knowing at the time, but it really wasn’t that bad.  I think I used it 3 x, and it’s not much different than any public washroom, really.  Then I met up with the rest of the meetup crew, we went on a haunted pub crawl, which was really a lot of fun. I had my breakfast set for 8:30 am.  When I went down there the next morning, a couple was quickly leaving.  I stood around for someone to offer me a seat but heard them arguing in the kitchen.  The houseguest who was packing her car was like “good luck. Breakfast looks good”. I said “oh, did you have it yet?” And she mumbled something and went back upstairs. The two people in the kitchen were now really arguing, raising their voices and yelling at each other.  The lady came down with her husband, gave me a pressed lip smile and they checked out SO fast.  I quickly understood why.  The owners or coworkers in the kitchen seemed to be arguing about the way she handled the seating or something.  If it was the person who checked me in, I didn’t get a warm feeling from her to begin with. After standing around for 6 minutes (I counted) and they just got deeper and deeper into it, I followed suit, packed up and left.  It was 9, and they were still fighting, so they were fighting for over 1/2 an hour at this point, ignoring all their guests. I’m actually not a breakfast person, so a burrito at hardee’s was ok with me. What kind of review can I leave?  “The place is run down (on the outside) but it’s a beautiful house inside and I was comfortable in my room. I’d love to comment on the breakfast that everyone looks forward to when they book b&b’s, but I had to flee mid fight and didn’t get to try it.  Shrug emoji”. 

How was everyone else’s weekend?

Re: First Monday in May

• I hate that i'm so "wah-wah-wah" lately but I have COVID AGAIN.  3 times, fully vaccinated and boosted, are you kidding me?  I'm so over this.  Trying to isolate as much as possible from the kiddos, double masking, and also my busiest week of the quarter.  Currently working in my locked bedroom and alternating naps between meetings.  H and the boys are all negative so far. 

Other than that our weekend was nice - my parents visited and had tons of fun with the boys. 
  • @CharmedPam that is such a bizarre situation!!
  • OMG @Casadena! That sucks and what terrible timing.  
    That is...wow @charmedpam.  Geeze Louise. 

Weekend was all right.  We got the first two eps of Ozark in.

We went to find DH a wedding outfit for his cousin's wedding this coming weekend.  SIL ended up coming alone and didn't bring nephew.  We went out to dinner and had a great time.  

Yesterday, we did stuff around the house and then went to help my dad pick up a door. Plus DH took some junk dad needed hauled away since he has dumpster access at work.  We had dinner with him too.  It marked 2 years since mom passed away.  I went through some pics and ended up looking at mom and dad's wedding album, which I hadn't looked at in for-ev-er.  I loved looking through it as a kid, but this time it struck me what babies they were when they got married (20 and 24).  Anyway, I posted a few old pics and had a good cry.   

I totally whiffed DefConn's IEP transition meeting this morning.  His teacher called me and we got it together.  But man I felt like an asshole.  

I need AF to show up because this PMS induced exhaustion is for the birds. 

This week is going to be so busy between Jr High orientation and trying to get Mother's Day for my sisters and SIL done early because the weekend will be jam-packed with activity. 
  • Katie on Instagram: “Beep beep 🚗”

Got my car!

It's so low lmao I mean compared to the Jeep anything would feel like you're low but this is really low lmao I'm about 5'2" and in the photo I am leaning.

M was sick this weekend so I was basically solo parenting.
    With car pick up on Saturday and M being out of commission, unfortunately BK didn't go to gymnastics. It was too chaotic.
    SFIL drove me to get my car while MIL watched BK & was around in case M needed her. {which he didn't}
    I had to get a carseat afterwards and ended up grabbing a few things for BK

She's grown almost an inch and half since February! I knew she hit a growth spurt recently, but I didn't think that much. Explains why we have to probably hit more 4t tops than I expected lol
    Since her upper body grows faster, it makes sets a little off lol Her lower half still feels like barely a 3t in some ways. Brands are annoying.

Anyways, Saturday night M was groaning most of the night so he kept me up. Imagine my delight. Then BK was up 2x
    I swear some nights, I'm the only one who wants to sleep.

Sunday I was friggen tired and struggling to get the new carseat in, so my mum and her bf came to get BK for a few hours and he helped tighten the carseat properly. They have same one, and it's not hard it's just I don't have the arm strength to pull the straps, and with M sick he doesn't have the energy either.

I got a lot cleaned up.

I also tried to prep my bathroom to paint, but alas it did not go well. The fkn crack in my wall is awful and I cannot reach the top corner to finish. So M is going to try and adjust when he's feeling better later this week.

I'll probably paint next weekend.
  • @CharmedPam I'd contact the business first as a chance to redeem themselves once but would advise that you'll be clear to others that this was a poor reflection on your experience.  And yeah, a Hardee's breakfast is fine but your breakfast is what you paid for!  I'm in the business of customer service and what they did is not professional and it's the reason you left.  They should know.  

My weekend was ON FIRE.  Literally.

Friday afternoon Chiquita got home and I continued working.  As I sat at my desk I heard something that sounded vaguely electrical but didn't think much of it.  There's been a lot of construction in the area.  Chiquita then came into my office a couple minutes later and said, "Hey Mom when I was in the bathroom the lights flickered and I think there's a cable in the street." 

I went to the front door to look and call it into the power company and then as we walked outside, the shrubs/laurels, and trees between my house and next door were on fire.  Cut to me yelling a few expletives, called 911 and thankfully my next door neighbor is a volunteer in town so she suited up and grabbed my garden hose.  I wasn't the first person to call 911 and the dept showed up soon.  

Turns out (we have it on Nest camera) a tree fell and took a power cable with it.  That light the area on fire.  I called DH at work who reminded me to move the van that is parked right next to that area as a precaution and called the school because there was NO WAY our street would be passable for school busses that afternoon.  DH picked Chiquito up, they arrived home as the fire department was finishing and enjoyed the chaos.  All in all it was a couple hours of being SUPER grateful for the local response including my neighbor!

Saturday Chiquita served at mass for the Confirmation kids, Chiquito had baseball photos and opening day ceremonies and I cleaned the house preparing for DH to come home from an overnight camping trip.    He came home EXHAUSTED (he left after the fire insanity Friday and slept overnight at a local Boy Scout camp to train to be a chaperone) and I had black bean burgers cooking (super easy recipe from ATK!) and then crashed.  

Yesterday was Mass (I can go now that I'm in the 6-10 day protocol!) and then he and FIL went to look at a boat.  A local guy had a late 80s boat for sale with a really new motor.  It's bigger than ours and DH and FIL went to see it.  They saw it, liked it and made the guy an offer.  As long as this guy doesn't pull the wool out and we can keep our slip it's ours!   Now I just have to hope all things work to our benefit.  I'm excited for a boat with a cabin, porta-head and a space I can discreetly change (or change feminine items).  Plus now the kids can each take a friend. 

Fingers crossed that we all stay healthy.  1st Communion in 5 days and I ordered the food and cake Saturday.  

• @CharmedPam, that is a cool and spooky looking house.  But I would have assumed it was abandoned, lol.

@Casadena, sorry to hear about COVID x3.  So frustrating!  I hope no one else in your house gets sick.

It was nice to have a 3-day weekend, it's just annoying it was a bit "forced" on me.  Especially when they won't let me WFH, even for special circumstances.  I know the client would have preferred me working on Friday because I had some urgent stuff to do.  And there is no reason I couldn't have.  But whatever.

My elderly neighbor (Dee) invited us over to her house on Saturday afternoon for an early dinner.  There were a few other people there, including our younger neighbor (Cee) that my H was upset with last weekend because she got too drunk.  I enjoyed the outing, but my H can sometimes be really abrasive.  He got PO'ed at Dee, because she was drunk and annoying him, so he left about 15 minutes after we got there and in a huff.  He told me after I got home that, he knew Dee and Cee would be drinking a lot and he just couldn't deal with that again two weekends in a row.  I understand that, but he could have been nicer about it.

I finally got a call on Friday from the company that does S8 inspections.  They are coming on Tuesday.  This is for the tenant we recently accepted for one of our rentals.  With any luck, we will have the whole process finished this month and she can move in on June 1st.

However, there was disappointing news for a different rental.  We've had a different S8 tenant interested in it for the last two weeks, but we were still fixing it up.  She had originally contacted us about our 2-bedroom rental, but her voucher was for a 3-bed.  She said she's been looking for months, but hadn't been able to find a 3-bed.  I told her about the one we had coming up and she was really excited.

It's almost ready, she came out to see it, and put in an application.  I approved her application on Friday, pending background checks.  There was a little "surprise" when she came for the showing that her b/f was going to be living there also.  We told her we would need to do a background check for him also.

I talked to her Friday evening.  Everything was a "go".  She was going to bring us the holding deposit on Saturday late morning.  Once we received that, I was going to prepay for the two background checks and e-mail the link to her.

I don't know what happened between Friday night and Saturday morning that (I guess) she changed her mind.  But what really pissed my H and I off is that she was a no show/no call.  He even texted her a couple times with no response.

I can deal with being surprised and disappointed she changed her mind.  That happens.  But so f**king rude to not even notify us.  My H spent so much time expediting getting that unit ready for her.  We spoke on the phone and exchanged texts, multiple times over the last 2 weeks to get things arranged and then I hurried to call her references on Friday.  But she can't even spend 20 seconds to send a text, declining the house and cancelling our appointment, smh.

At first, I thought it was because her b/f wouldn't qualify for the background check qualifications.  But she texted me back his e-mail address, so I could send the link to him also.  Maybe she had an issue with having the money available.  But she'd been telling me all along that she had it and was ready. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No, no, no @Casadena! I’m so so sorry. Are you going to have to mask/ isolate from G? That is impossible. I’m so sorry. 
  • I'm wiped out after the weekend. Friday we took a vacation day and drove down to the beach where SIL lives. It was too cold to swim, but we got to hang out on the beach and read for a while. It was a nice enough weekend, but I don't sleep well at other people's houses anyway and I got hit with a massive amount of anxiety on Saturday afternoon. Then got home late yesterday and haven't gotten caught up for the week yet. 

I found out this morning that the last of my former teammates is leaving. I'm excited for him and hope he's moving on to a huge raise (which he deserves), but it makes me a little nostalgic for the old crew. I'm also a little worried that he did all the things and no one is going to do them in the future, but that's so not my problem. 
  • I had, what I think was, food poisoning on Saturday. It was awful and ruined all of my plans. Baby M kept asking for Mama, H was out of town so my mom had to come back, and I felt like a terrible mother. 

Yesterday I’d recovered and we spent the morning at the playground and I did a long run in the afternoon. So I’d say the weekend was a wash. 
  • Also- how is it May when I’m clearly still in March. 
  • The weekend was okay.  The long term covid crap I have is making me really sensitive to anything I do that might be anything beyond "go to work, go home, bed early".  The working out did seem to help with the mental stuffs, but it's hard when you're just so damn physically tired.  This morning I got up, did my rowing, and went back to bed for more sleep.

L came over on Saturday.  Honestly, I truly enjoy his company.  We were laughing so hard at one point, I had tears in my eyes and snorted.  There might've been a second at the door, but I knew I'd had a few too many glasses of wine and basically opened the door and said, "Bye!" and shooed him out.

My place of employment is on fire, y'all.  At this point, I'm just chilling in my office, doing my job, and watching the dumpster fire.  We're now down to 14 paralegals.  One has put in notice.  I know of at least 2 who have active plans for leaving.  The newest one has failed to show up after her 2 week long vacation.  So quite quickly, we're going to be at 10.  IDK what it's going to take; I'm just collecting my monies and doing my work.
  • Well - the wrinkle thus far is that our marina does not have a slip for a boat of our (new) size.  I'm not sure what we can do aside from begging.  
  • @Casadena nooooo why? Why you?
    Congrats @MissKittyDanger!
    @banana468 your trees were on fire?!? Yikes! Any real damage? i know what your saying and oddly enough, breakfast fiasco aside, I’d go there again.  I searched for that hotel for another weekend and it was sold out! But I found another b&b in the area that looks amazing and at the same price for a room with a private bathroom, so I booked that instead. 
    Boat slips in our (“our” being my parents area) area suddenly are hard to come by.  If you can get them, they went up hundreds!
    @“short+sassy" , I feel your hubby on that one.  You either are ALL drunk, or no one gets drunk.  But it’s a hairy situation when some people are and some aren’t and none of you is on the same level. 
    So glad your better @charlotte989875

• No, no, no @Casadena! I’m so so sorry. Are you going to have to mask/ isolate from G? That is impossible. I’m so sorry. 
    I'm supposed to isolate as much as possible.  Masking for sure.  It's definitely tough.
  • @CharmedPam YES - the shrubs and small trees (and leaves) were on fire.  It didn't spread too far which worked out nicely.

And the kicker for our slip is that we HAVE one. But the new boat we want is 2 feet longer than the max allowed in that slip.  We're hoping to swap slips with someone who has a boat at the max size but otherwise I don't know what we'll do and it SUCKS. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ugh I'm sorry @Casadena..enough is enough already!
    Yikes that's bizarre @CharmedPam    What a drag @charlotte989875          That's scary about a fire so close to home @banana468      Congrats @MissKittyDanger

Eid Mubarak to anyone who celebrates. My kids were asking if we could celebrate Eid later...I told them no since they didn't make any sacrifices during Ramadan.  Feeling happy for my student who don't have to fast all school day anymore.  

Weekend was a really nice mix of some grading and errands but plenty of family time, mass, some softball and tae kwon do squeezed in, and a lot of yard work.  It's been such a cold spring, I haven't planted a thing yet, but all the soil is totally ready.  Think I'm doing so this weekend regardless of the temp, lol.  Read STBXH a riot act that if he's still living here he has to pull his weight in some way...he took apart an old, broken patio umbrella Saturday and sanded and re-stained the deck yesterday.  I want the yard looking nice but can't do it alone.  (And would happily hire someone if there wasn't a perfectly capable person living here.)
  • @CharmedPam wow, that is wild. Did the place look like the pictures posted online? 

@Casadena I'm so sorry you're sick again! 

@banana468 that is crazy!!! Glad it was put out relatively quickly. 

Well, after feeling sick since last Wednesday, I tested positive for Covid on Friday. I somehow made it over 2 years, but it finally got me. It's going around my job again, and I'm one of 5 people that have it now. My symptoms are weird and changing from day to day. It feels like one of the worst head colds I've ever had. 

Also, in other crazy news, I think I mentioned that the owners of my company decided to hire a VP for my department and pretty much kept it a secret from me for a while. They also didn't tell the newly hired CFO. It caused a lot of bad feelings and even made someone on my team quit. Well, the new guy started last week and then handed in his resignation today. Like, told the CFO he quit and walked out..lol. Can't make this shit up!
  • OMG @climbingsingle! First of all, booooo on the COVID of it all.  That sucks!

I know it's a shitshow at work, but your owner got what he deserved with that VP fuckery.  I can't believe how people run shit nowadays when there's SO MUCH information out there telling you what bad management and business practices are and what employees overwhelming want and they're still like, "Nah, fuck 'em."  Christ on a cracker...
  • @Casadena nooooo why? Why you?
    Congrats @MissKittyDanger!
    @banana468 your trees were on fire?!? Yikes! Any real damage? i know what your saying and oddly enough, breakfast fiasco aside, I’d go there again.  I searched for that hotel for another weekend and it was sold out! But I found another b&b in the area that looks amazing and at the same price for a room with a private bathroom, so I booked that instead. 
    Boat slips in our (“our” being my parents area) area suddenly are hard to come by.  If you can get them, they went up hundreds!
    @“short+sassy" , I feel your hubby on that one.  You either are ALL drunk, or no one gets drunk.  But it’s a hairy situation when some people are and some aren’t and none of you is on the same level. 
    So glad your better @charlotte989875

My H almost never drinks.  I didn't think any of them were acting drunk, until Dee toward the end of the get-together.  But that was long after H had left.

He can be really impatient with people and always has to be right.  Not so much with me, but that's because it's something we've worked on to improve our relationship.

The whole argument with Dee was because another friend (Tee) was doing all the cooking in her kitchen.  Tee had gone somewhere and Dee asked my H to move the potatoes to a slightly large pot.  He told her it was the same size and it didn't matter.  So they went back and forth a couple times about same size vs. bigger.  He finally moved the potatoes to the other pan.  FWIW, it was a slightly bigger pan.  But, not by much, so they were kinda both right.

He then went to put the smaller pan into the sink.  She stopped him and told him not to put it in the sink.  He asked her where she wanted it then, but she didn't really have an answer as to where to put it or why she didn't want it in the sink.  That could have been the drink talking.

At that point, he put it in the sink and told her something like, "I'm putting it in the sink.  Dee, I can't deal with you, when you're drunk.  I'm leaving."

He can be more patient.  She's elderly and can barely walk anymore.  Just humor her.  The whole argument was about a pan!  I'm not saying someone gets to be a jerk because they are old.  But she wasn't being a jerk, just a little demanding.  To me, it was NBD and he was overreacting.

FWIW, I'd only had one hard seltzer and Tee had a couple beers.  So we were both sober and didn't feel like Cee or Dee had obnoxious behavior. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:
    OMG @climbingsingle! First of all, booooo on the COVID of it all.  That sucks!

I know it's a shitshow at work, but your owner got what he deserved with that VP fuckery.  I can't believe how people run shit nowadays when there's SO MUCH information out there telling you what bad management and business practices are and what employees overwhelming want and they're still like, "Nah, fuck 'em."  Christ on a cracker...
    You'd think that in the current climate more employers would understand that their employees will not hesitate to leave! 
  • Yeah, the whole thing is insane. When my team member quit, she was very honest with the owner about why she was leaving. He even had a meeting with me to see what he could do to convince her to stay. And I drove home some points that she had mentioned. Nothing has changed. If anything, it's gotten worse. With so many companies hiring that don't have this kind of toxic culture, I can't imagine many people are going to stay. The rest of the leadership team has all told me they're looking. 
  • @climbingsingle is there anyone above them where you can appeal to their senses?  Or is the long term likelihood for your co that they're going to be in a boat without a paddle? 
  • Weekend was fine. DD and family arrived Sunday. Monday was full of doing outside stuff with the twins. Lots of "yardwork" lol. They love to help Papa pick up sticks and helped me plant my planters. We are suppose to have a few rainy days so we wanted to spend as much time outside as possible. 

@banana468 that is so scary! Glad no one was hurt or major damaged was incurred.
    @Casadena, so sorry you are sick again. Hope you feel better soon. @climbingsingle hope symptoms remain cold like!
  • Dang @banana468 that's crazy. Glad it was taken care of quickly and that your house is okay. FX on the slip situation.

@Casadena sorry to hear about the covid situation. Sending you all the healthy vibes

How's the job search going @v@VarunaTT sorry to learn about your dad. Are you doing okay?

Things are pretty okay here. Last Friday we spent the night at a local hotel because we were having the vents cleaned Saturday morning and they recommended keeping the baby out of the house. We had such a wonderful time. It was still Ramadan so the restaurant was serving an amazing iftar meal. I told DH I would book a stay every Ramadan it was so good.

The rest of the weekend was chill. DH has the whole week off for Eid but DS is also out off school. We plan on doing some tidying, and DH has been great about taking DS out each day for some physical activity. Thursday we plan on taking him to the WB theme park.
  • I’m so sorry @Casadena and @climbingsingle. I hope you guys feel better soon! 

• Last Friday spent the night at a local hotel because we were having the vents cleaned Saturday morning and they recommended keeping the baby out of the house. We had such a wonderful time. It was still Ramadan so the restaurant was serving an amazing iftar meal. I told DH I would book a stay every Ramadan it was so good.
    I imaged googled this and and GET IN MAH BELLY! Glad it was good! Get the vents cleaned during Ramadan every year, yeah.

• banana468 said:
    @climbingsingle is there anyone above them where you can appeal to their senses?  Or is the long term likelihood for your co that they're going to be in a boat without a paddle? 
    banana468 said:
    @climbingsingle is there anyone above them where you can appeal to their senses?  Or is the long term likelihood for your co that they're going to be in a boat without a paddle? 
    Nope. It's a family owned company and the two owners are brothers. No one above them. 

I've been interviewing with 2 places so I'm hoping I'll get an offer soon.