Wedding Woes
Options

Winging it Wednesday

Not really winging anything though, LOL.  Well actually, I pretty much feel like I'm winging life every day and waiting for the real adult to show up and they never do.  Hee. 

I slept hard af last night.  I think DH woke up at some point and I turned over, but when I opened my eyes and looked up at our clock (we have one that projects onto our ceiling) it was 6am.  I was fully expecting it to be like 3 or 4. 

DH sold DefConn's dirt bike last night because we're getting him an actual racing bike.  He wants to get into some junior motocross racing and we didn't have the right bike for that.  Now we're on the hunt for the next bike. DH knows someone that will let him try out the next step up so he can learn how it works since it will have a clutch and whatnot. 

We had a retirement zoom for a co-worker yesterday. She's moving to Mexico.  She and her H are going to run a catamaran business. They've been planning this for years and finally got it all together to do it.  I'm ridiculously envious.  I hope she posts pics and updates of their adventures. 

SSDD Meh. 

Re: Winging it Wednesday

• Options
    On a personal note I'm frustrated and it's such a FWP but it's a family thing.

I mentioned that we made an agreement to buy a new boat on Sunday.  It's new to us and four feet longer than the current boat we have with capacity for an extra 3 people (up to 8) with a small cabin and a porta head plus the small cabin means space to change clothing (and for a STB adolescent girl - other stuff).  

We have our current boat in a slip at the marina.  On Monday FIL called (we own it with FIL) and the marina said our slip has a max length of 20'.  The boat we are buying is 22' (current is 18').  They will not let us put the boat in the slip and they have no other slips available.   We asked if the could ask if other dockage customers may be willing to trade if they have a 20' and they would be willing to switch slips but it hasn't worked out at least not yet.  

I'm annoyed and frustrated.  Our marina SELLS boats and they basically start at longer than 20' and they say "buy from us and want a slip and we'll find you one" so I'm imploring DH to talk to them to see what we can do.  Our marina is great and it's full service. They have a pool that the kids love and MIL loves plus grills and it's the place we go in the summer.  I don't want to lose it and I also don't want to lose that boat.

The current hope is that we can keep our slip and see if we can use a neighboring marina that may have an opening for the summer.  I've told DH that this is an expensive band-aid with little reassurance.  
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 A couple who worked in courts with SFIL and MIL ended up retiring early and went to Italy to start basically a BNB. Apparently it's beautiful. In 2018 MIL and SFIL went and they said the couple was just so beyond happier than when they worked.
    I'm so excited for your co-worker :) They're going to be so excited!

@banana468 that's such a weird situation! Did you mention they SELL bigger boats there? FWP or not, that's a weird issue they're giving you.
  • Options
    Poor BK has been wanting to eat with us instead of my mum in the evenings - which is fine, but she's also so tired lol
    I'm dreading kindergarten. Like she's gonna come home and crash so hard. Only saving grace is she's home a little after 3:15 and can rest, where as now she gets quiet time but falls asleep in the 15min car ride home lol Then becomes soooo crabby when you wake her ... 

As I was driving BK to preschool, I saw a house for sale.
    Lol it's the neighbour house to where I lived when we moved to the area.

For sale: 13 TYRRELL PLACE, Ottawa, Ontario K2H9C3 - 1287065 | REALTOR.ca

Not me also trying to still find ways to move but can't.
    Like we wanna move but we are no where NEAR being able to even show. *sigh* Keep chugging on our house.
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger they basically ONLY sell bigger boats than 22 feet.   We could go to them and ask them to buy a 20' directly from the manufacturer for us but it isn't something that they order.  

They have nearly 130 slips and dockage customers with boats ranging to close to 36'.  The issue is that not every slip can handle every desired boat length and some slips (ours) can only go up to 20'.   

But I did ask DH that question yesterday and said that we were looking into a different boat of longer length from them last year.  Would their answer have been that they would take our $ for a boat but 'too bad so sad' for a slip?  

I get it - Covid hit and more and more people bought boats because vacations were off and on the water.  And now people still own those boats.  We are also not their longest dockage customers by far.  But we have been dockage customers for years and as someone who has been in customer service for over two decades I want to appeal to their management to ask what is it that we can do to not be forced to leave a place we've come to love?  Is the real response that they're shrugging their shoulders?   
  • Options
    @banana468 as a company who sells larger boats, you'd think they'd allow larger dockage.
    Honestly I'd do it. Appeal to management. See if you can make a case and maybe they'll have a "come to jesus" moment. If you're gonna sell bigger boats, your dockage should allow for them.
  • Options
    @banana468 as a company who sells larger boats, you'd think they'd allow larger dockage.
    Honestly I'd do it. Appeal to management. See if you can make a case and maybe they'll have a "come to jesus" moment. If you're gonna sell bigger boats, your dockage should allow for them.
    Well, the point is that they HAVE larger dockage but claim none available.  But also will not ask any existing customers that could swap to do so.  And there are neighboring marinas around - so will they do any kind of partnering with a neighbor in good faith?  What are the ways that they can work with us?  And are they honestly saying that they don't have a slip because we're bringing in our own?  If we did buy new would we also be SOL?  The wall put up is what is frustrating to me from a CS perspective and you can literally walk to 3 marinas quickly from ours - but ours has benefits that the others don't. 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Having a blah day.  It's been very dreary and rainy.  Very SSDD.
  • Options
    I'm exhausted! There is a reason people have kids when they are young! The one year old GS isn't  isn't sleeping well - waking up early in the morning not napping in the afternoon. One of the twins has just been in a mood! Thankfully the other twin has been so sweet! Of course that could change tomorrow. Tonight we are doing carry out from our favorite Mexican place. DS2 is coming home tomorrow night for the weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing him.

DD and I started watching The Gilded Age last night. So good!
  • Options
    Rock that sleep @mrsconn23 ! That sounds like such a good boat @banana468 , I hope by a miracle of god(dess), someone will swap with you.  Maybe someone wants to downsize anyway?
    @MissKittyDanger, that’s a nice house! You have such low property taxes.  I just got my bill, and every year, as ours get a higher and higher % than the previous, that’s all I’m looking at now.  Why am I still here? Hugs to @ei34, it’s hump day, you’re allowed a blah one.

speaking of sleep.  I got a good night too. I didn’t hear the birds this morning. Well, actually, that’s not true. I can hear them from the distance (so in neighborhing yards) but I have to be awake to know they’re still there. So gift yourself these if rest is what you want;
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0917L63RG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EDK4RS729AMHE4HWH8GB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

yesterday and today (not Monday), ONE bird flew in, started to chirp loudly, but didn’t last long.  Gone in 10. Kinda sang me a song “what is this beautiful silver object you got here that only entices me to go near it? You can’t get riiiiiiiiiiid of me”.  His will is strong.
    mine is stronger.  I have 10 more coming today to spread out around the yard some more and a scarecrow owl JIC.

• Options
    banana468 said:
    Well, the point is that they HAVE larger dockage but claim none available.  But also will not ask any existing customers that could swap to do so.  And there are neighboring marinas around - so will they do any kind of partnering with a neighbor in good faith?  What are the ways that they can work with us?  And are they honestly saying that they don't have a slip because we're bringing in our own?  If we did buy new would we also be SOL?  The wall put up is what is frustrating to me from a CS perspective and you can literally walk to 3 marinas quickly from ours - but ours has benefits that the others don't. 
    Can you drop notes on the windshields of the boats with your number and a request to trade? (Not the windshield but like there must be a spot that’s equivalent?)
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Can you drop notes on the windshields of the boats with your number and a request to trade? (Not the windshield but like there must be a spot that’s equivalent?)
    It's not a terrible idea except we were asked not to contact people directly when we proposed this.  If we do I think it would irritate management and then that would alienate us from them while we're trying to be in good standing as customers. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Our boat has a windshield, LOL.  No wipers though to secure a note.  But yeah, I'd try to slip notes to people or something.  
  • Options
    Darn! Or equivalent of the old note on a windshield: a nextdoor post! 

• Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited May 2022
    @mrsconn23, my H and I have been talking about retiring to Mexico.  Somewhere in Baja with an oceanview condo.  Bonus points if it is on the western coast and far enough north, that we'd only be a few hours drive from my family in So CA.  Definitely jealous of your coworker!

@banana468, good luck with the boat slip.  I totally understand your frustration.  Does the marina have a bulletin board or online forum, where you could post a message looking to trade slips?  Maybe offering to prepay some slip rental months or straight up cash for the switch, would be incentive for people.

Edited to add:  I see from other posts you have already looked into some of that.

Two pieces of unexpected good news.  I was paying my bills on Monday.  One of my cc's had a "no interest" offer for a year.  I thought it expired in June but, while I was paying this bill online, I double-checked that.  It actually doesn't expire until late August.  Yeeessss!  Two more months.  Which is extra helpful right now because we've been down so many rental incomes for the last couple months.  I'm going to pay it off anyway with my HELOC.  But I've only been treading water with the HELOC for the last couple months, so this will give me time to chip away at that balance more before smacking it around again by paying that 'cc off.

That's actually my MO with this 'cc.  It wasn't a new sign-up offer.  They send me those offers all the time, when I have a decent bit of credit available.  I'll take the money out, almost to my credit limit and then pay down my HELOC.  As my "no interest" offer is about to expire, I pay it off again from the HELOC.  Rinse and repeat.  I love this 'cc!  It's the only one I've seen that does this, outside of new sign-ups.

I also got a text from one of my mystery shopping companies.  They have a new client that is a fancy steakhouse.  I snagged a dinner shop for later this month!  $235 reimbursement.  I haven't been there before, but their menu looks great and I am very excited about it.  Apparently this restaurant has a pianist.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @CharmedPam Ours goes up too but we've got a certain cap on things - like rent, they can't go up more than a certain amount. Also it varies with areas because it depends on public transit, fire station, trash pick up ... etc
    Now imagine that I currently pay condo fees, plus mortgage, plus property taxes 
  • Options
    @CharmedPam Ours goes up too but we've got a certain cap on things - like rent, they can't go up more than a certain amount. Also it varies with areas because it depends on public transit, fire station, trash pick up ... etc
    Don't forget insurance (property and flood).  That's the killer where I live.

Speaking of, for those of you who have flood insurance in the US, I've found out the new deal with that.  As you may or may not have heard, FEMA has re-evaluated rates because they've been in the red for years.

There is an 18% cap, per year, on raising flood rates for existing policies.  New policies, across the country, will be a lot higher.  And even for people with existing policies, it will absolutely be an 18% jump every year, until it hits the new rate. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited May 2022
    Ooooooh @short+sassy! Remember how you told me you got the screwball whiskey at Costco? As did I.  We did shots of that at my boss’ retirement party. One of my coworkers told me that her bartender friend mixes that with a raspberry liqueur to make a PB&J shot.  So when I was doing my Walmart pickup order, I searched for that.  However, a banana cream liqueur came up in my search, and that appeals to me more. Gonna call it the Blue Suede Shoes shot (and I AM original!) I haven’t even opened the Screwball because I just dont drink when I’m alone (it’s boring lol), and I have no friends to come over and hang with me.  Thus, it just sits in my liquor cabinet, being as lonely as I am.

• Options
    We JUST got Screwball this week!  I find that I like it in an old fashioned which is basically on the rocks w/ a few shots of bitters and NO simple syrup.  

@short+sassy I'm curious how the flood insurance will affect those like me out of the flood insurance required area but close enough to the coast as the crow flies to have higher homeowner's insurance.   It was a surprise to us when we bought in 2010.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    We JUST got Screwball this week!  I find that I like it in an old fashioned which is basically on the rocks w/ a few shots of bitters and NO simple syrup.  

@short+sassy I'm curious how the flood insurance will affect those like me out of the flood insurance required area but close enough to the coast as the crow flies to have higher homeowner's insurance.   It was a surprise to us when we bought in 2010.
    Rates are going up across the board for flood insurance.  Even for homes in an X-Flood Zone, which is a non-flood zone.

My personal home and all of my rentals are in X flood zones.  Two of them were in flood zones when I bought them.  But FEMA redrew the maps a few years ago and they were "upgraded" to X.  Those are actually the only two that flooded in Katrina, though I did not own them or any other real estate at that time.

The street for my personal home flooded during Katrina (I've heard), but my house is raised about 2 1/2' off the ground, so the structure didn't.

My other three rental properties are on the West Bank of NOLA.  That area didn't have any flooding during Katrina. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Speaking of, for those of you who have flood insurance in the US, I've found out the new deal with that.  As you may or may not have heard, FEMA has re-evaluated rates because they've been in the red for years.

There is an 18% cap, per year, on raising flood rates for existing policies.  New policies, across the country, will be a lot higher.  And even for people with existing policies, it will absolutely be an 18% jump every year, until it hits the new rate. 
    Actually our house insurance isn't bad. M has it on his name combined with car and he pay $160/m for both?
    We don't live in a flood area so that helps
  • Options
    Ooooooh @short+sassy! Remember how you told me you got the screwball whiskey at Costco? As did I.  We did shots of that at my boss’ retirement party. One of my coworkers told me that her bartender friend mixes that with a raspberry liqueur to make a PB&J shot.  So when I was doing my Walmart pickup order, I searched for that.  However, a banana cream liqueur came up in my search, and that appeals to me more. Gonna call it the Blue Suede Shoes shot (and I AM original!) I haven’t even opened the Screwball because I just dont drink when I’m alone (it’s boring lol), and I have no friends to come over and hang with me.  Thus, it just sits in my liquor cabinet, being as lonely as I am.
    Thanks!  I've just been mixing it with hot cocoa.  Which is delicious, but not very original.  I appreciate the new ideas, they also sound yummy.  

I like the name for the cocktail you invented.  I'm going to Walmart tonight to pick up prescriptions.  I'll have to see if they have a banana cream liqueur at the one I am going to.

I don't know if most Walmarts are like this, but many in my area have the hard liquor in its own separate little, walled section inside the store.  There's a dedicated cashier just for this section because you aren't allowed to take the liquor out of that area without paying for it.

It's not a state law or anything.  I assume it's for theft prevention.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Lmao so amusing thing yesterday

They called a provincial election for Ontario, and our NDP rep came to visit and ask about signage {YES MA'AM WE HAVE A SIGN}
    Luckily she has kids so BK saying things just amused her because BK is cute a.f

Lady - *talking about NDP* So can we count on your vote?
    M - For sure. We voted you guys last election
    Lady - oh, let me look up in our system. Name?
    M - M.S
    BK - I'm BK S!
    Lady - well hello! :) Do you guys want a sign?
    M - my wife wanted one last time so yes
    BK - I take a bath tomorrow :)
    Lady - baths are fun
    M - she thinks so. And I think we need to have a talk about over sharing :') 

3yr olds lol
  • Options

Actually our house insurance isn't bad. M has it on his name combined with car and he pay $160/m for both?
    We don't live in a flood area so that helps
    Just my car insurance is a lot more than that :(.  No accidents or tickets within at least the last 7 years, but it's high where I live because the high percentage of uninsured motorists.

At least in the US, property and flood are two totally separate insurances.  Like, property insurance will cover you if the flood is from something internal.  For example, the hot water heater breaks.  But it doesn't cover you for outside flood waters.

Brace yourself.  Just my property insurance is $3900/year (personal home) for only $260K property and $60K contents coverage.  But that's because I live in an area susceptible to hurricanes.

If I didn't have "named storm coverage", it would probably be less than half of that.  Which is more typical for the rest of the US. 

Just got my annual flood insurance bill.  It's $684.  TBH, I feel like that's more than 18% of what I was previously paying.  But it's in the ballpark.  I think it was $574 last year.

Logging in now to pay it, while I'm thinking about it, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited May 2022

I don't know if most Walmarts are like this, but many in my area have the hard liquor in its own separate little, walled section inside the store.  There's a dedicated cashier just for this section because you aren't allowed to take the liquor out of that area without paying for it.

Not Illinois. We have preeeeetty loose liquor laws here. Hot cocoa sounds good too though. But it’s warming up now - or should be.  I will probably bring those to my P’s house over the long weekend. They do shots with me, but they like the rumchata one and fireball.  I do not. If I wait for them to visit me, I’ll be the skeleton meme looking out the window. 

Edit.  This is a banana rum cream. Would that curdle in whiskey? I don’t normally do shots.

Flood insurance on non flood zones - is this a NOLA thing or could it affect me too?

• Options
    Update:

FEMA's website had more info than the bill I was sent.  That $684?  Already includes a $336 "annual increase cap discount".

So if this were a new policy, it would be $1020/year.   75% higher than last year.  For a raised house that's already in a no-flood zone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited May 2022

Not Illinois. We have preeeeetty loose liquor laws here. Hot cocoa sounds good too though. But it’s warming up now - or should be.  I will probably bring those to my P’s house over the long weekend. They do shots with me, but they like the rumchata one and fireball.  I do not. If I wait for them to visit me, I’ll be the skeleton meme looking out the window. 

Edit.  This is a banan rum cream. Would that curdle in whiskey? I don’t normally do shots.

Flood insurance on non flood zones - is this a NOLA thing or could it affect me too?
    Nope, not a NOLA thing at all.  Rates went up nationally.  For all zones, even non-flood ones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This makes zero sense to me.  Zero.

• Options
    This makes zero sense to me.  Zero.
    I think it's because the industry has been hit hard with numerous storms.  More storms, more payouts, more $ that will be charged to people.   Because they still need to make a profit!

• Options
    MobKazMobKaz member

Edit.  This is a banana rum cream. Would that curdle in whiskey? I don’t normally do shots.

Unless things have changed in the last 5-10 years, liquor laws are not "that" loose.  My son wanted/needed copious amounts of Everclear for his wedding.  It is not sold within the city limits of Chicago.  I had an interesting reaction from the sales associates in the suburban Binney's when asking for a dozen bottles of it.