Wedding Woes
Options

You love your 'home' state this much? Really?

Dear Prudence,

I am in a relationship with a wonderful man, Toby. Our relationship is without a doubt the healthiest I’ve ever had in my life (platonic or romantic). Kind, intimate, passionate, supportive, communicative and forgiving are all words that describe us. We are best friends, and above all, we are a team. His actions show he loves me. He goes out of his way every day to show how much he appreciates me. I came from an abusive, cloistered background. I do not ever take Toby’s love for granted; I’ve learned the hard way you aren’t guaranteed love.

Now here comes the hitch in this fairytale. Toby has a job that necessitates that he move to a new area of the country if he wants a promotion. This is his dream job, and I am extremely happy for him. However, I am beside myself as to what I should do. To say I adore my home state is an understatement; it is my lifeblood. I have been here my whole life. I feel a deep sense of familial heritage and belonging here. Frankly put, I absolutely do not want to move. Every time I think about this, it makes me sick. It feels like losing a part of myself. On the other hand, the idea of leaving my partner also makes me sick. I know a relationship like this is not easily replaced and I wouldn’t want it to be. We are truly compatible in every part of our lives except this.

— Gift of the Magi

Re: You love your 'home' state this much? Really?

• Options
    I do not understand how people can feel this strongly about where they live.  Maybe it's because i've moved a lot in my life?  How is it even a question of a relationship or a place.  There are great cities/towns/places everywhere.
  • Options
    I cannot imagine loving a place more than a person.

It's one thing if your home state comes with PEOPLE.  I also can understand not wanting a massive climate swap.  But if DH was transferred to Hawaii as a great job opportunity I'd be packing the down coats into storage.
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    I do not understand how people can feel this strongly about where they live.  Maybe it's because i've moved a lot in my life?  How is it even a question of a relationship or a place.  There are great cities/towns/places everywhere.
    I agree with you and I've lived in the same state my entire life.
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2022
    I don’t love my state.  I don’t even love my house. I love my job.  I love 95% of the people I work with and I know I won’t have this at any other job (plus, we get snacks brought in).  My ex always wanted me to move to where he lived and I always said no.  I can’t get this job just anywhere.  However the way LW describes SO, I never could with my ex or ANYone I ever dated before. If this were me…. I’d ask if my position could be made into a wfh one, but then I’d loose the in-person comradery I have here.  Quite frankly, I’d lose some happiness if I were to move in this time of my life. Not sure what I’d do? 

Edit words

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Yeah, I need more on why home state is so great.  I've always lived in my state and I'll be here until at least 62 because there's a nice pension coming my way tied to my state govt job.  LW made their earlier years sound rough...is their an important friend group or career they're passionate about that needs to be done locally, or something not being mentioned?  
  • Options
    @banana468, forget storage.  I'd be throwing winter coats out the car window while yelling, "Yippeee!"  On the way to the airport.

@CharmedPam, "I'm sorry my one true love and soul mate.  Alas, I cannot follow where you go.  Because...snacks."

First off, I assume the LW's name choice for their SO is a "This Is Us" reference.  Bravo, on that.  FWIW, I thought Kate made a bad choice in not following Toby to SF.  I think she could have found a similarly rewarding job there, whereas it was much more difficult for Toby because he'd already spent years trying to find his dream job in LA.

I don't get it either.  Especially since they aren't close to their family anyway, so they aren't staying for that.  But only they can make this decision.

They don't even mention a job, so I suspect it isn't that.  My suggestion would be...try it!  Move.  But with the caveat that it's potentially only temporary.  Maybe if the LW is seeing it as "for now" instead of "forever", they can open themselves to broadening their horizons.  They might just find planting new roots with their great guy has an even greater sense of belonging.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This LW annoys me.  I don't even have any advice beyond wanting to shake them and asking if they hear themselves. 

A place has no feelings.  It will be there whether or not you exist in it.  

There's a song called, "I can't love you more than my hometown".  I've only heard it a couple times because it annoys me (and I don't listen to a ton of country anyway).  This is the letter version of that stupid song. 
  • Options
    @banana468, forget storage.  I'd be throwing winter coats out the car window while yelling, "Yippeee!"  On the way to the airport.

@CharmedPam, "I'm sorry my one true love and soul mate.  Alas, I cannot follow where you go.  Because...snacks."
    And we’re allowed jeans daily, not just Friday’s (which is becoming the norm since covid I hear, in most offices). And we don’t really care what we wear on top either. So the ability to look like shit and eat fritos - hell yeah.

• Options
    A move doesn't have to be permanent and no job is forever. I don't see the harm in going with the expectation that it may be temporary and seeing how it goes for a year or two. If they hate new state, then figure out a plan to move again. 
  • Options
    So H loves his camp and the land, and it is super important to him. When we graduated with our PhDs he moved with me but it was far from camp. We prioritized traveling back so he could go there, and where we live now is in part because it’s easier to get to camp. Fishing, hunting, hiking the woods is where he feels most like himself. 

If we ever moved again (highly doubtful but who knows) part of what we’d consider is how far it is/ how hard it is to get to camp. I don’t fully get it but I get that it’s important to him. 

So the LW might not be totally off base here, but they need to think about what they’re willing to give up (this relationship? The home state?) or if there’s a way to make it work 
  • Options
    Is LW from Texas?