Wedding Woes

FriYAY

My bestie is visiting for the first time since 2019! We’ve seen each other in between but she hasn’t come to my place. So excited to see her and we are seeing a show and going to the spa. My apartment is nowhere near clean enough but I will get there. Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Re: FriYAY

• @STARMOON44, that sounds like an amazing weekend!  Have fun with your bestie.

My H has been mostly taking over our Costco scan gig.  In the past, I would scan for a few hours after work on Thursday and then go back on Friday to help him finish.  But for the past few weeks, he's been telling me he can finish the scans by himself.  It's been so nice to have a "true" half-day Fridays back again.

I think the reason for the change is a few things that coincidentally happened around the same time.  When I was on vacation, he had two weeks where he had to do the whole scan gig by himself.  The week I came back, was the week when this project suddenly went to a different company.  With the new company's category requirements, we were able to shave off about 350-400 products that we normally scan, which saves us about 2 hours of time (not each, but total).

We're also FINALLY wrapping up the couple rehabs we had left, which gives him more time and a more relaxed schedule.

Speaking of, we will be doing showings on Saturday.  This is our last unit of the two duplexes I have next door to each other.  The sisters for one of our new tenants was supposed to move into it.  We were giving them first dibs and gave them an application two weeks ago.  We gave them a heads up the unit was ready and we needed the app back or we would need to start doing showings.  They said they would email it back on Monday, but didn't.  We contacted them again on Thursday, but they didn't reply back.  That was disappointing!  Posting a rental ad and doing showings is extremely time consuming and we were hoping to luck out.  But, oh well.  Onward and upward.  I'm crossing my fingers we get a great tenant quickly, who is also ready to move in by August 1st.  Good chance it won't happen quite that fast, but it could.

So that's going to be my weekend.  Spending lots of time on FB Marketplace answering the question, "Is this still available?", 500+ times, lol.

We also need to find a used stove for the next rental up.  It's our only single, family house and needs about 2 more days of work before being rent ready so, almost there.  But that will be our last vacancy.  Hopefully for a really long time!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yay for Bestie time!! @STARMOON44
    It sounds like you have an epic weekend planned too @climbingsingle

Pretty good day here. One of my friends came over for coffee this morning so it was nice to catch up. 

DH and I are going for massages and a chat tomorrow. I am a 'reassess the plan every 6 months or so' type person and DH hates it, lol. He doesn't understand why we would ever change a plan once we have one and I don't understand why you would go with an old plan if you have new information/insights/experiences. So that's why I am sweetening the experience with a massage.

Pretty good day here. One of my friends came over for coffee this morning so it was nice to catch up. 

DH and I are going for massages and a chat tomorrow. I am a 'reassess the plan every 6 months or so' type person and DH hates it, lol. He doesn't understand why we would ever change a plan once we have one and I don't understand why you would go with an old plan if you have new information/insights/experiences. So that's why I am sweetening the experience with a massage.
    I’m a reassess as we go person; H is a stick with it until something is seriously broken. 

What (and this is nosy) are you re-assessing?
  • Here is an interesting turn of events on the abortion controversy and am wondering if this same thing is playing out in other places.

So in Louisiana...the state...abortions are now illegal.  Though I think there is temporarily an injunction by a federal judge, that they can still take place.  For now.

New Orleans has entered the chat.  The state is super conservative, but NOLA the city (not the suburbs) is pretty liberal.  They've essentially told the state, "F** you, Louisiana.  You can ban abortions for the rest of the state.  But we aren't enforcing that here."

AG Jeff Landry is all kinds of PO'ed about this.  Especially with his power and position, he has been one of the leading proponents for banning abortions.

In response, he directed the Louisiana Bond Commission (a 14-person committee, where 13 members are Republican) to withhold its approval of financing for select New Orleans projects.  His main target is $32.7 million for the Sewerage and Water Board of New Orleans to build a new power plant.  The LBC did vote against approval, 2-12.  

FWIW, this was a symbolic vote.  The project really wouldn't be up for funding until next year.

But it's outrageous they're threatening a long overdue, infrastructure project that is sorely needed over a totally different political issue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Here is an interesting turn of events on the abortion controversy and am wondering if this same thing is playing out in other places.

So in Louisiana...the state...abortions are now illegal.  Though I think there is temporarily an injunction by a federal judge, that they can still take place.  For now.

New Orleans has entered the chat.  The state is super conservative, but NOLA the city (not the suburbs) is pretty liberal.  They've essentially told the state, "F** you, Louisiana.  You can ban abortions for the rest of the state.  But we aren't enforcing that here."

AG Jeff Landry is all kinds of PO'ed about this.  Especially with his power and position, he has been one of the leading proponents for banning abortions.

In response, he directed the Louisiana Bond Commission (a 14-person committee, where 13 members are Republican) to withhold its approval of financing for select New Orleans projects.  His main target is $32.7 million for the Sewerage and Water Board of New Orleans to build a new power plant.  The LBC did vote against approval, 2-12.  

FWIW, this was a symbolic vote.  The project really wouldn't be up for funding until next year.

But it's outrageous they're threatening a long overdue, infrastructure project that is sorely needed over a totally different political issue.
    Well, not abortion but the Desantis and the Reedy Creek Improvement District situation is sounding familiar.
  • Still sick but at least I have meds. I’m frequently reminded of how good my Primary Care is; I called and she had a telehealth visit 15 minutes later and just called in antibiotics and steroids. 

We’re going to camp tomorrow with all of Baby M’s cousins. We’re not staying the night though so that makes it easier. My birthday is Sunday and no real plans. I hate making my own birthday plans and H doesn’t really think to plan things. 

I’m a reassess as we go person; H is a stick with it until something is seriously broken. 

What (and this is nosy) are you re-assessing?
    Just life. We had decided we would move out of our current place to a larger place in a less expensive neighborhood, but now I have rearranged the furniture and think we could probably stick it out. We had decided we would leave this country at the end of 2024, destination unknown. Since that deadline is rapidly approaching, I would like to discuss where we want to go. If it is the US or not, if it is where? If it is the US, maybe we should leave summer of 2024 so DS can get settled a little bit before starting Kindergarten. 

That sort of stuff.
  • Yah those are big things not to check in on at least every 6 months or so @missJeanLouise!
  • It's HOT here.   I didn't go in the pool yesterday but will consider it later.

Weekend is going to be PACKED.  Tomorrow Chiquita and I need to meet her GS troop at the middle school for girl scout Olympics.  The sports will include archery, curling using scrub brushes and frozen bowls of water and rubber chicken basketball.  It should be hilarious, fun and super hot.  With a 7:30 arrival time and I know that any makeup will run off I am seriously considering either not showering or doing a quick one and french braiding my hair for the AM and a second shower when it's over.  Tomorrow night is my cousin's wedding reception.  She got married last month and had a really tiny wedding and only my uncle (late aunt's hub) attended from outside her nuclear family.  He walked her down the aisle because her dad passed away nearly 20 years ago.  I'll get to see my parents and brother plus cousins and I'm looking forward to it.

Side note: I'm told it's a super casual picnic style wedding and am considering this dress assuming it's not going to be anywhere NEAR as boobaliscious on me as it is on the model.  
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BGTYV22/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

It will be 90 degrees tomorrow.   DH is going to be in shorts and a short sleeved button down.

I also need to save my voice because I'm cantoring again Sunday.

Also tomorrow DH and FIL are moving boats around.  The bigger one is going to the new marina and I think MIL and FIL are happy.

I have strongly advised DH that he needs to talk to current marina management face to face.  There's obviously miscommunication somewhere and that needs to be addressed or FIL is going to bad mouth the place to anyone who will listen.  He may still do that however if DH gains a better understanding of things it's likely that he can make a level headed decision to either confirm if he's aligned with FIL's thoughts or if we can dislike how things are handled but there was no actual deceit. 

If I'm not beat Sunday it would be a great day for a boat ride.  I'm hoping we can buy a tube soon. 

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2022
    You’ve got kids to work around schools so that’s a big plan to discuss @missJeanLouise!
    how nice of your hubby to do the majority of the scans @short+sassy.  I wonder if IL’s republican candidate wins this year, and also turns over Roe vs Wade, if the
    city of Chicago mayor would do the same thing? Can a county mayor overrule a governor? I have no idea! But I see it happening since Chicago is a world of it’s own.
    @STARMOON44 enjoy.  I’m a last minute person myself.  The person could be pulling up in the driveway and I’m JUST tossing the last wipe into the garbage.
    @charlotte989875 hope the meds speed everything up

I’m feeling much better today. Less congested.  Tested neg again.  I’m hopeful for regular life to return tomorrow.  Did I tell you about the drama in my 40’s + meetup?  An organizer overheard me be being invited to a non organized concert with a few of the “regulars” and called me later that night. She told me someone left the group and started her own and hoped I wasn’t in an uncomfortable spot and they were trying to recruit me to her new group.  I told her no, I had no idea that happened and it was a casual invite (and then I knew right away who that person was because she and I actually talked after a different meetup and she wasn’t happy with all the tight organization).  But after we hung up, I had to check the year because I could have sworn I wasn’t in high school anymore? 
    Edit words

• Oh and @short+sassy, was it Norwegian you were on? I have a celebrity cruise booked but my parents say we can use their free vouchers to take a cruise instead. But I’m all about quality.  Was it good? Peacful? Activity on the ships good? Food? People? Beds? 
    Need pros/cons!!!

• Yah those are big things not to check in on at least every 6 months or so @missJeanLouise!
    DH will still be annoyed that I am "changing my mind" and that nothing is ever settled. But this is an old difference in our personalities so I  just like <hands up emoji>. He knows who he married at this point, lol.

@banana468 that dress looks pretty booby even in the image reviews but it is super cute! I am sure you'll look lovely.
  • You’ve got kids to work around schools so that’s a big plan to discuss @missJeanLouise!
    how nice of your hubby to do the majority of the scans @short+sassy.  I wonder if IL’s republican candidate wins this year, and also turns over Roe vs Wade, if the
    city of Chicago mayor would do the same thing? Can a county mayor overrule a governor? I have no idea! But I see it happening since Chicago is a world of it’s own.
    @STARMOON44 enjoy.  I’m a last minute person myself.  The person could be pulling up in the driveway and I’m JUST tossing the last wipe into the garbage.
    @charlotte989875 hope the meds speed everything up

I’m feeling much better today. Less congested.  Tested neg again.  I’m hopeful for regular life to return tomorrow.  Did I tell you about the drama in my 40’s + meetup?  An organizer overheard me be being invited to a non organized concert with a few of the “regulars” and called me later that night. She told me someone left the group and started her own and hoped I wasn’t in an uncomfortable spot and they were trying to recruit me to her new group.  I told her no, I had no idea that happened and it was a casual invite (and then I knew right away who that person was because she and I actually talked after a different meetup and she wasn’t happy with all the tight organization).  But after we hung up, I had to check the year because I could have sworn I wasn’t in high school anymore? 
    Edit words
    They cannot, or at least that is the way it is supposed to work.  Like Federal-->State-->County-->City.

I know during the mask mandates, there was some of this in other states.  Like DeSantis (FL governor) said "no masks required".  Miami said "masks are required here for XYZ".  DeSantis said, "No Miami, you can't have a mask mandate."  Miami said, "We can.  And will."

In Louisiana, NOLA almost always had stricter mask/pandemic rules than the rest of the state.  But our governor gave carte blanche for cities or parishes (counties) to have stricter rules, if they thought it was best.  But they couldn't have looser rules.

That is pretty much the AG's argument.  If NOLA won't uphold state law, than they shouldn't get state money.  But my attitude is he's just being petty because NOLA is defying his pet, political project.  So he needs to swing his dick around.

This is AG Jeff Landry:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @banana468 I love that dress and think it's perfect for the casual reception!
  • I am flat chested - like 32B/34A - so I am hoping that is not going to be anywhere near what the model looks like as I just have much less to work with!  
  • Oh and @short+sassy, was it Norwegian you were on? I have a celebrity cruise booked but my parents say we can use their free vouchers to take a cruise instead. But I’m all about quality.  Was it good? Peacful? Activity on the ships good? Food? People? Beds? 
    Need pros/cons!!!
    I was on Norwegian.  They are BFFs with Harrahs.

I've only gone on two other cruises and those were many years ago, so I'm probably not the best judge.

Overall, it was good.  It was fairly peaceful, but the ship wasn't completely booked.  It holds 4K people and I think we had around 3K.

I didn't do any activities, but I generally don't like most of the activities they have on cruises.

There wasn't a lot of night time entertainment and, the nights they did have something, it booked up fast.

Overall, the food was great.  But there were some major exceptions.  The buffet was mediocre, at best.  The one restaurant that was open 24/7 had okay food, but it wasn't great.  My package came with two free specialty dining nights.  Your all's probably would also.  The two restaurants I went to for the specialty dining were amazing.

It seemed to be all families and couples.  I've heard that's typical for NCL, as well as any cruises that are longer than 4 nights.  That was disappointing for me because, I was a solo traveler, and thought there would be others.

My room was clean at all times.  The bed was surprisingly firm, but comfortable enough for me.

I don't know what wizardry my room steward has, but he greeted me BY NAME the few times I passed him in the hall.  I wondered if they had a secret room with pictures/names of all the guests, for the rooms they were in charge of.

Most of the staff was great, but I had a few minor bad experiences also.

I did feel the administrative/organizational side of NCL left a lot to be desired.  But that was more of a problem leading up to the cruise.

DO NOT let them book your airfare!!!  I grossly overpaid for them to do a much shittier job than I could have done on my own.  I did that because they promised me the world if anything bad happened with my flight, if they were the ones to book it.  Like transporting me to the next port, if I missed the ship due to my flight being cancelled or delayed...

Then I got the paperwork about my flight after they booked it.  It literally said they DON'T do that.  I also checked online and that is also what other people experienced.  I'm still PO'ed about that bold-faced lie that cost me money for a more expensive flight.

With all that said, I would cruise with them again.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    I am flat chested - like 32B/34A - so I am hoping that is not going to be anywhere near what the model looks like as I just have much less to work with!  
    I think it’s great! Wear it for all of us G cups who could never 
  • Originally I was suppose to go with my mum and granny to see the new Elvis movie tomorrow - but my mum and granny are at odds {often happens} so we aren't doing movie.
    Instead my mum and I are going for brunch and then thrift stores. I need some new work tops. I feel too many are mildly casual but I don't want that casual? Especially now that I'm in appointments. Maybe I'm just not feeling my closet lately.

I also need a couple nicer dresses/tops. M & I are going away for weekend next weekend and one night for dinner is nice. I feel nothing fits well.
    And my coworker is getting married Oct 1st - so I need something for that.

Anyways .... I think M is considering taking BK to beach or maybe to see another friend for a fun day thing by her place. There's another in a few weeks that I'll be able to go and it's closer to my friend's place
  • banana468 said:
    I am flat chested - like 32B/34A - so I am hoping that is not going to be anywhere near what the model looks like as I just have much less to work with!  
    I mean, we could, but it would be obscene. 

• Rough start to the morning. For some reason I had a terrible dream that I was diagnosed with cancer and had to start undergoing odd treatments, which is how I woke up. So weird headspace there. Then I got into work and one of my coworkers frustrated me. I tried to be understanding because it’s their last day but they just have this way about them that is next level. And they’re a subordinate who was trying to tell me another subordinate said I could do something that I cannot indeed do (I know the other coworker didn’t say it either). So it was super annoying, we had a whole wing of doctors call off because they don’t have their supervisor today, patients are coming in who had those appointments and I have to either send them away or try to fit them into the one doc who is here, and she’s in the trenches. Then I got a missed call from my future employer and they didn’t leave a VM so I am down the rabbit hole of anxiety and Bad Thoughts. Also no managers today so I’m in charge and I don’t want to be. 

• @levioosa how are you not like this right now?

Thanks for that, @“short+sassy".  I’m very “keep me entertained” on cruises and Celebrity does a great job of that. This is why I kinda want to stay booked for that ship but free is free (yes it’s Harrah’s)! Maybe I need to see some sample itineraries. 

• Oh I am very much like that right now @CharmedPam

• banana468 said:
    Oh my goodness I can't imagine.  Sometimes I can manage to just go with silicone pasted on to avoid show-through.   If I'm successful I'll take a photo from the neck down!
  • @charlotte989875, Happy Birthday! I hope your H pulls off a plan between now and Sunday.

*Putting on my lawyer hat* A city can't overrule a state law. Abortion is different than masks, because cities were implementing laws that didn't conflict with state law. Florida didn't have a law that said no masks are required, they just didn't have a statewide law requiring them. Miami could create a law requiring them without being in conflict with state law, because there was no state law. For abortions, it's the opposite. If Louisiana has a law banning abortions, NOLA can't create a law allowing them without conflicting with state law. Enforcement is a little different and leaves more room for nuance. If NOLA DA chooses not to prosecute anyone performing abortions in the county, LA can't really force them. Sort of like how the Fed can't force California prosecutors to enforce federal cannibus law. But Louisiana state police do exist (maybe by a different name, IDK), and they do whatever the state government directs them to do. The FBI doesn't go raiding dispensaries in California, in part because it would be politically unpopular, but I don't think the same logic applies to state police on abortion. You'd also have a bunch of issues with licensing and all of that, but I can't even imagine how that would play out. *Exiting soap box*

Another quiet weekend for me. It's low 90s, so actually pretty mild for us this time of year. Tonight I'm blowing off our meal plan and talking H into getting a margarita and tacos. Tomorrow H is going to try to finish the next segment of the fence before it really gets warm. I'll probably have my niece for most of the day, so I'll be sugaring her up before I send her home with her dad because I'm kind of an asshole like that. Maybe hang out with a friend tomorrow, but she's flaky. 

• @charlotte989875, Happy Birthday! I hope your H pulls off a plan between now and Sunday.

*Putting on my lawyer hat* A city can't overrule a state law. Abortion is different than masks, because cities were implementing laws that didn't conflict with state law. Florida didn't have a law that said no masks are required, they just didn't have a statewide law requiring them. Miami could create a law requiring them without being in conflict with state law, because there was no state law. For abortions, it's the opposite. If Louisiana has a law banning abortions, NOLA can't create a law allowing them without conflicting with state law. Enforcement is a little different and leaves more room for nuance. If NOLA DA chooses not to prosecute anyone performing abortions in the county, LA can't really force them. Sort of like how the Fed can't force California prosecutors to enforce federal cannibus law. But Louisiana state police do exist (maybe by a different name, IDK), and they do whatever the state government directs them to do. The FBI doesn't go raiding dispensaries in California, in part because it would be politically unpopular, but I don't think the same logic applies to state police on abortion. You'd also have a bunch of issues with licensing and all of that, but I can't even imagine how that would play out. *Exiting soap box*

Another quiet weekend for me. It's low 90s, so actually pretty mild for us this time of year. Tonight I'm blowing off our meal plan and talking H into getting a margarita and tacos. Tomorrow H is going to try to finish the next segment of the fence before it really gets warm. I'll probably have my niece for most of the day, so I'll be sugaring her up before I send her home with her dad because I'm kind of an asshole like that. Maybe hang out with a friend tomorrow, but she's flaky. 

Thanks! He told me at dinner he thought my birthday was Monday. 

How are you feeling ? Has recovery been improving? 
  • @charlotte989875 Feel better.

I'm back at work and trying to balance it with Jewish mourning responsibilities. I'm also trying to look out for my dad. It's both quiet and busy in a weird way. At least the Shiva (first week of mourning after the funeral) is over now.

It's strange that my mom is not around anymore. But I am hanging in there.