Wedding Woes
Options

Beggars can't be choosers

I own a tiny two-bedroom, one-bath house. During the pandemic, I turned the second bedroom into my official workspace with the giant two-screen computer. It helped my depression to have the ritual of going to the “office”—get up, shower, put on nice clothes, get coffee, but no traffic. My company has leaned into to the telecommuting permanently, so this is how my career is going. My sister has gotten out of yet another bad relationship and can’t afford another apartment. Her sons have permanently moved with their father and stepmother. She is desperate to get on her feet. I told her she is welcome to stay as long as she wants with me, on my sofa bed. My sister is furious with me that I will not give her my office. She says her ex will not let her sons visit if they have to sleep on an air mattress near her. I can’t physically fit my office set up into my bedroom unless I got rid of my bed for a twin one and close off half my closet (wiring issues).

I love my sister. And my nephews. I am not asking for any money. I still need to make money and be mentally healthy. Our parents are in a strict retirement community, and our brother is on another coast. Short of our very disagreeable aunt, I am it. During the worst of the pandemic, I went over a month without any human contact but random delivery drivers and my cat. My home office became my “safe space.” My full family is ganging up on me: I could work on a laptop (just like I could cure my depression through smiling more and exercising). I have nothing more to give. And everything to lose. I want to help my sister get on her feet, but not if she expects me to dance on knives.

— WFHelp

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Beggars can't be choosers

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2022
    LW you’re paying all the mortage, and I’m assuming you will continue to.  You offered her a place out of the wind, sun, rain, etc… she doesn’t like it? She can find something she does!

• Options
    I feel like there’s some compromise here that y’all are missing.  Can nephews sleep on an air mattress in the office with the explicit understanding they have to be up and out before you get to work in the morning? 

But bigger questions- how long does your sister need to stay? A few weeks v a few months? If it’s the former I’d be inclined to, temporarily make some adjustments to my environment to help. If this is open ended then I’d be clear the offer is what it is, take it or leave it. 
  • Options
    The LW is already really extending themselves to give their sister a place to live.  If the sister doesn't like what's offered, that's her problem.

@charlotte989875, the father of the nephews said he won't let them sleep on air mattresses.  This also sounds like there is no end in sight as to when the sister could get her own place.  Because, if that was true and this was only going to be for 4-8ish weeks, she'd probably be more inclined to deal with it temporarily.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The LW is already really extending themselves to give their sister a place to live.  If the sister doesn't like what's offered, that's her problem.

@charlotte989875, the father of the nephews said he won't let them sleep on air mattresses.  This also sounds like there is no end in sight as to when the sister could get her own place.  Because, if that was true and this was only going to be for 4-8ish weeks, she'd probably be more inclined to deal with it temporarily.
    I read that as he wouldn’t let them sleep near his mom on an air mattress, not banning any air mattress. But either way, they could put a mattress in there and move it out/ up at the end of the day if needed. 

LW doesn’t have to let the sister in. I do think there’s a comprise here that isn’t 3 people sleeping on a couch, but if LW doesn’t want to she doesn’t have to.