Wedding Woes
Options

Friday!

2»

Re: Friday!

• Options
    Unfortunately, one of the problems with pot being illegal in the US...and it's still illegal under Federal guidelines...is that also means there have been almost no studies done to determine it's danger or interactions with specific medical conditions or other pharmaceuticals.

I'm not saying that from a "don't use it" stance.  Just that even doctors don't necessarily know how CBD/THC may affect you or the medications you take, so keep an eye out for how it affects you.

Doctors should always be told about all drug use (prescription and otherwise), as well as supplements.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy, I got REAL sassy the other day on my FB about how I broke a pretty  major federal law nearly every day of my life and the FBI isn't showing up on my door step yet.  B/c "I might not call myself a patriot, but I'm sure AF not a traitor".  Oops.  

:smiley:
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    @short+sassy, I got REAL sassy the other day on my FB about how I broke a pretty  major federal law nearly every day of my life and the FBI isn't showing up on my door step yet.  B/c "I might not call myself a patriot, but I'm sure AF not a traitor".  Oops.  

FWIW, my only concern with even possibly having it is if I thought it would affect DH who has a clearance.  Unlike others ::cough...45...cough:: DH is not one to mess around with it.

That said, I also see a link to insomnia and alcohol so one of the things I can do that's easy enough is limit my drinking and stop well before I intend to go to bed.  Last night I had zero alcohol and slept MUCH better. 
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:

For sure!  I also approve acts of sassiness.

The FBI generally nopes out on enforcing those kind of laws, because that part is up to the state/local jurisdictions.  Who ignore it because they've either deemed it legal in their state or have de-criminalized it.

But it does affect bigger picture stuff.  Like dispensaries not having typical access to the banking system for loans or even opening an account.  And it's a hindrance for studies, especially medical studies, to be conducted.

The whole thing is infuriating because criminalizing pot back in the '60s/'70s was racist AF.  They don't even pretend anymore that it was anything else.  Yet the Federal laws persist, despite 60% of Americans who feel that pot should be legal for recreational use.  That percentage jumps into the 90s, for at least medical use. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy One of the big things going on in MO is that they are trying to legalize for recreational use (which they should b/c getting the medical card is an absolute joke of a process and so easy, it's literally about having the $ to do it), but they're arguing about licenses for dispensaries.  I'm in the opinion camp that it should be PoC who get first dibs to dispensary licenses and small business loans for them, to encourage small businesses and also make up for those very racist laws that have ruined so many lives.  But MO is gonna MO and I'm sure the lottery will win out and it'll be about money still.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    @short+sassy One of the big things going on in MO is that they are trying to legalize for recreational use (which they should b/c getting the medical card is an absolute joke of a process and so easy, it's literally about having the $ to do it), but they're arguing about licenses for dispensaries.  I'm in the opinion camp that it should be PoC who get first dibs to dispensary licenses and small business loans for them, to encourage small businesses and also make up for those very racist laws that have ruined so many lives.  But MO is gonna MO and I'm sure the lottery will win out and it'll be about money still.
    Up until a couple years ago, we had a bizarre legal situation for medical use.

For the last 80ish years, medical marijuana  in Louisiana was technically legal.  BUT, a doctor prescribing it needed to have a special license to do that.  No such license was ever granted to any doctor, because the state never set up the process or a government office/employees to do it.

Now there is a functional system for medical use to be allowed.  But, yes, licensing problems abound for dispensaries to even get started.  We have them now, but they were delayed for months with tactics like slow filing and approval of different pieces needed to open.

There are also only so many allowed for every X amount of people in an area.  And you better have a lot of friends or family high up in the state or city government to get a license.  I'm sure bribes were involved.  There weren't rumors of that, but it is how we roll here.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would be down for experimenting with MJ more but being in healthcare makes me very hesitant. Because of the federal laws if I test positive I could lose my license even if I wasn’t high at work. So I just have a zero tolerance level for myself. I would love to try it for my insomnia though. I’ve indulged once and it wasn’t for sleep but I have rarely ever been so pain free and it made me a little sad I cant use it on the weekends. I mean, people do, but I am pretty paranoid about the one time I use it being the one time I get drug tested. Because I always seem to be the person who gets singled out for doing stuff everybody else has been doing all the time and for forever. So I just follow all the rules. Lol. 

• Options
    @Jen4948, I'm sorry to hear about the layoff, especially on top of your grief.  I hope you find an even better job soon.
    Thanks @short+sassy
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    I would be down for experimenting with MJ more but being in healthcare makes me very hesitant. Because of the federal laws if I test positive I could lose my license even if I wasn’t high at work. So I just have a zero tolerance level for myself. I would love to try it for my insomnia though. I’ve indulged once and it wasn’t for sleep but I have rarely ever been so pain free and it made me a little sad I cant use it on the weekends. I mean, people do, but I am pretty paranoid about the one time I use it being the one time I get drug tested. Because I always seem to be the person who gets singled out for doing stuff everybody else has been doing all the time and for forever. So I just follow all the rules. Lol. 
    I'm the same way.  I don't have a license I could lose at least...that is a lot more risk...but they do drug testing at my job and I'd be fired if traces of any drug were found.  Even if it was out of my system, at the time.

According to the company I work for, Shell Oil won't hire you if you have ever popped on a drug test with any company.  Though I'm not sure how they would know that.

I don't have a burning desire to work for Shell, lol.  But they are a large employer in my area and I wouldn't want to potentially burn that bridge.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I absolutely understand not wanting to risk licensing and/or future employment.  I've never had to test for my particular field of employment and, since I have my med card, I've protected myself against any workers comp issues that could arise from my usage, but I'm not 100% safe even with that.  I'm very lucky that most employers in my field don't care what you do outside of active office hours, as long as you're present when working.  It somewhat irritates me that we can test people for a BAL immediately, but nothing to see if you are actively under the influence of THC.  It's hard not to fall down a conspiracy theory rabbit hole in my thinking on that issue.

One eye opening thing that happened in the relationship with K, who had just passed their RN licensing, was when they asked for one of my edibles.  I was like....what?  What about this career you wanted so badly and you know you're going to have to pass a drug test for?  That was the beginning of me realizing they were about to become a clusterfvck.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    I absolutely understand not wanting to risk licensing and/or future employment.  I've never had to test for my particular field of employment and, since I have my med card, I've protected myself against any workers comp issues that could arise from my usage, but I'm not 100% safe even with that.  I'm very lucky that most employers in my field don't care what you do outside of active office hours, as long as you're present when working.  It somewhat irritates me that we can test people for a BAL immediately, but nothing to see if you are actively under the influence of THC.  It's hard not to fall down a conspiracy theory rabbit hole in my thinking on that issue.

One eye opening thing that happened in the relationship with K, who had just passed their RN licensing, was when they asked for one of my edibles.  I was like....what?  What about this career you wanted so badly and you know you're going to have to pass a drug test for?  That was the beginning of me realizing they were about to become a clusterfvck.
    I firmly believe scientist have developed a test that will show if you are high but they refuse to be evil and share it.