Wedding Woes
Options

Pumpkin Spice release Tuesday

CharmedPamCharmedPam member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited August 2022 in Wedding Woes
And I’d be lying to you if I said I wasn’t in line for one.  I went to get my annual (supposed to be bi-annual) lab work done this morning and for SURE I went for a pumpkin cream cold brew & boston cream donut (at dunk’n). I was going to get my labs done after my upcoming trip to Canada… but who am I kidding? I’m going to eat & drink like crap for that trip, so I got it out of the way this morning and remembered the pumpkin spice release at Starbucks.  Woohoo!

edit; a sign I’m maturing. 
Mom: pick a bar for all of us to hang out at tonight (there’s 5 of us)
Me: can’t we just all hang at my place? I can’t hear people in bars!
edit to the edit; it’s not being mature.  I’m just old

Re: Pumpkin Spice release Tuesday

• Options
    Lol @CharmedPam - if it makes you feel better I've been annoyed with loud bars since my early 20s.  I like the drinks and parties, i just want a reasonable noise level!

Definitely ready for fall weather, but still loving the summer food/drinks.  Trying to get as much corn and zucchini things as possible, not quite ready for chili and pumpkin spice yet :)  
  • Options
    Oh no @missJeanLouise.  I'm so sorry and sending all the good vibes to your BIL.  That sounds terrifying.  

I love a bar on a rando Sunday afternoon when there are, like,10 people in it. Other than that, I will drink at home on my deck. TYVM.  

U/O(?): I hate PSL.  Give me all the apple and caramel stuff in the fall.  Hard cider with a shot of Fireball?  Sign me up.  

It's my 'Thursday' as I'm out for 5 days after tomorrow.  DH is 'forcing' us to leave Thursday night instead of Friday morning.  I gave him an earful last night about what I am and am not going to do because I was cranky and I really don't want to be gone 4 nights, but don't have a great reason why except 'I don't wanna'. (It was also day 1 of my period after hellish PMS)

(Backstory: the last few years we've done Labor Day at the farm, I feel like we've been left holding the bag in a sense to make sure everything is buttoned up before we leave even though FIL, BIL, SIL, DH's uncle, cousins, and so on and so forth are there.  I hate being the 'coordinators' of all the shit and being seemingly the last to leave.  Plus DH will just 'hang out' until the bitter end 'to be sure' and I'm in the truck tired and sweaty and pissed because I am ready to be the hell home and mad that everyone left before us. Fun times.) 

Anyway, I've begrudgingly agreed to leave Thursday and DH knows that he will hear the riot act again if he doesn't start telling people to do shit to help.  At least my oldest niece and her BF will be there, which is exciting.  
  • Options
    Oh no, I’m so sorry @missJeanLouise sending your family all of the good vibes. 

If I’m there to socialize and talk I don’t like loud bars. But I can hang out and vibe to some music if it’s just that. The caveat is I absolutely must have somewhere to sit. My tolerance for standing all night was pretty low even in my early 20s. Now it is absolutely nil. 

Otherwise SSDD

• Options
    We're still waiting to hear an update on the scores.  N and I finally did our rundown of the pageant.  They told me sorry straight off.  I said they didn't have anything to be sorry for.  They said that they didn't realize they were arguing with me so much, until every note from the judges....they realized I had brought up to them pre-pageant and they had pooh-poohed me about the details I was getting into.  I kinda laughed and said I knew they were, but I had made a boundary in my mind that they were their own contestant and package, and I was there to help with my knowledge, skills, and experience, and if they chose to not take it, it was on them.  Right now, it does look like they're 3rd still and they're going to chose to not go compete at Nationals, but to go help and observe.  I think that's a very good idea for them and can only keep helping them grow as a performer/contestant.

Otherwise, SSDD.  Dropped by mom's last night and she just looks so damn tired and stressed.  She says she's eating, but sleeping is not going to well.  I keep telling her to stop trying to logic herself out of her emotions and just let them happen.  I love my mother very much; I am also very glad I did go to therapy (and I'm considering starting back up), b/c when I look at her, I see very similar traits (of course) and the ways those traits can be unhealthy if not applied in a healthy manner.
  • Options
    Oh no @missJeanLouise I hope that doesn’t happen
    @kerbohl, don’t be so hard on the depression thing.  Everyone handles it differently so dealing with someone who has can range too.  
    Also - I thought a pub was a bar? What’s the difference? Lol

• Options
    Oh no @missJeanLouise I hope that doesn’t happen
    @kerbohl, don’t be so hard on the depression thing.  Everyone handles it differently so dealing with someone who has can range too.  
    Also - I thought a pub was a bar? What’s the difference? Lol
    Bars have a different vibe I guess?  Maybe I'm thinking a Canadian thing.  So here, if someone says to go to a bar it's going to be a sports bar with loud rock music and tvs everywhere showing baseball or hockey.  A pub, which I frequent, is more like a restaurant so quieter music, and still a tv or two playing a sporting event in the background, and it's more about pub food like fish and chips and having a beer.  

• Options
    I don't like places that are too loud either, but I am old. I am also not a fan of pumpkin flavored everything. And plus also, it is still summer and I want to enjoy every minute of it. DS2 didn't arrive until 2 this morning because of flight issues out of Chicago. H and I went ahead and went to dinner at DS2's favorite restaurant. We had an awesome cocktail called an Unholy Hat Trick. We are going to try and recreate it: Hat Trick Gin, lemon juice, ginger simple syrup garnish with a lemon. It is one of those drinks you would just suck down until you hit the floor because it doesn't taste alcoholy.

The rain finally stopped this morning so I got to go for a beach walk in the late morning. It still isn't sunny but it is humid as all get outs.

I'm also looking at places to rent for next summer. I'm waiting to hear back from the rental agency but think I have found a place that will fit everyone better than this place.
  • Options
    ooh @ILoveBeachMusic I love a good gin cocktail!
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Yup, by age 19 my bar requirements were I need a place to sit and I want to hear who I'm with...too much FOMO to not go out with my friends and deal with the rowdiness of college bars but by 22-23 when I discovered happy hours and all was right with the world.  (Major lol considering I haven't been inside a bar in years.)

Not a pumpkin fan but I do love when the fall lineup comes out- maple, apple, pecan...actually DD has a seasonal Blood Orange refresher that I just tried yesterday, it's delicious. 

Dealing with a headache that's PMS related...it'll be severe by tomorrow, ugh.
  • Options
    A pub to me is a specific style of bar, but pubs can also be very loud and bars can be quiet. Plenty of places that call themselves pubs and are full of sports screens or have live music. 
  • Options
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!  Even in my early 20s, I felt like I was "old before my time", because I didn't like going to night clubs, but that was mainly what my peers wanted to do.  And there is usually nowhere to sit.  I don't know how other women do it.  Wearing their cute high heels, while standing/dancing/walking for hours.  It helps a lot to be younger, but it's still not comfortable.  In my 40s, it's excruciating and impossible.  In my 20s, it could be done, but I often bailed on the heels for more comfy shoes.

I will rarely be anywhere that has noise too loud for conversations.  Restaurants can be just as bad.  I know this makes me sound like Scrooge, but some of the restaurants in town will have live music on certain nights or during brunch.  I avoid that like the plague.

I finally got off my ass and started figuring out what to do for my upcoming workshop on investing in short-term rentals.  Unfortunately, I already missed the room block for the hotel the conference is in.  But this actually turned out to be a blessing.

The room block price was $143.  The current price is $220.  But then, when you add in the resort fees and taxes, the total came out to $1,057! What!?!.  I noped out of that really quick.  Found another hotel about 3 minutes away for $288.  That's the total, including taxes and their fees and everything.  Even if I'd gotten the room block price, that's probably still less than half.  Already booked.

I'm sure my hotel isn't as "fancy" as the other one but, I'm here for a conference, I don't really care.

The workshop is in Branson, MO.  Which is a 10-hour drive from NOLA.  Sucks SO much, but it's still the best option because the closest airport is an hour away in Springfield, which would also mean renting a car.

For the drive up, we're doing it in one day, the day before the conference starts.  But for the drive back, we won't be done until 5:30pm on Sunday, so we'd have to stay the night somewhere anyway  We are taking the opportunity on the way back to break up the drive and visit Hot Springs, AR for a couple nights.  Unfortunately, t's not breaking up the drive much, lol.  We'll still be 7 1/2 hours from NOLA when we leave on Tuesday.  But at least we'll arrive on Sunday and have a day of fun on Monday.  Plus I've wanted to check out Hot Springs anyway.

I'm excited, but hate I have to take a week of vacation for this thing!  Yeesh. I didn't think it would be that bad because half the seminar is over the weekend. But, with two days of traveling (even if we weren't stopping in AR), it just eats the time right up. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ei34 said:
    Yup, by age 19 my bar requirements were I need a place to sit and I want to hear who I'm with...too much FOMO to not go out with my friends and deal with the rowdiness of college bars but by 22-23 when I discovered happy hours and all was right with the world.  (Major lol considering I haven't been inside a bar in years.)

Not a pumpkin fan but I do love when the fall lineup comes out- maple, apple, pecan...actually DD has a seasonal Blood Orange refresher that I just tried yesterday, it's delicious. 

I love Blood Orange anything! What is DD?
  • Options
    ei34 said:

Dunkin' Donuts I believe.  I love a blood orange pale ale or IPA.  

• Options
    I definitely think there can be a difference in pubs and bars. 

In general out here, any place that starts to advertise live music is a place I need to question before going to after 8 and whether or not I wanted to talk or listen to that specific musician. 

• Options
    @short+sassy You are half an hour from mee!!!!!!!  We need to connect!!!!
  • Options
    I am excited for fresh apples.  I like pumpkin, but I'm not huge into it.  When I worked at Tim Hortons the Pumpkin Spice tea was a huge thing.

• Options
    VarunaTT said:
    @short+sassy You are half an hour from mee!!!!!!!  We need to connect!!!!
    I would love that!  I knew you were in Missouri, but didn't realize you were that close to Branson.  PMing you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    mrsconn23 said:
    ei34 said:

Dunkin' Donuts I believe.  I love a blood orange pale ale or IPA.  

That makes sense. I'll have to look for it. We don't have a lot of DD near us which is why it didn't click with me.

I had a blood orange hard cider last fall in New Mexico. It was yummy! Unfortunately that particular local brewery doesn't distribute in Indy.