Wedding Woes

Tuesday

I had an incredible sleep last night.  I'm beginning to think, just from looking at some data, that I've been sleeping so badly b/c of stress b/c of my dad the last few months before he passed.  It's entirely too soon to be sure, but the last few days have been very restorative and it's been a blessing.

Otherwise, SSDD.  I have volunteered to help a friend of mine with their nerd convention here next summer.  This friend, G, was my graphic designer for my last 2 years of running Pride and we've known each other for close to 20 years now.  We're good friends, I ADORE his wife, and we work well together.  The convention board itself wanted me to take a directorship, but I declined.  I want to do what I want to do with these things now.  G wants me to do what I want to do and has put me on his team.  I'm actually looking forward to it.  For all of the community work I've done, it's rarely been on my terms and my wants, rather what I thought needed to be done and put myself forward.  It's nice to be wanted and respected for my skills and allowed to make my own decisions for once.

Still working on some costumes and paper sculptures at home.  I didn't make it to the cheapo fabric store last Saturday, but I cut out my pattern last night.  I also impulse purchased a dress form.  I put one of the corsets I was decorating on it last night.  OMG it was so much easier to continue decorating.  I can't wait to actually pin a dress on the form.  I haven't sewn anything in....well clothes wise for myself at least five, six years?  I haven't pulled out my machine yet; I'm not even sure I remember how to thread it.  But I figure it'll all come back.

Re: Tuesday

• @VarunaTT stress has such a huge factor on sleep. Usually when I sleep horribly, it's my anxiety being awful.
    I'm glad you're sleeping better <3
  • BK hasn't been eating great at school. I asked a local mom group and they said fairly typical for a few weeks. Too much going on, and takes awhile to get use to routine. I hope so honestly. She ends up eating it at home, but I'd rather she ate just a bit more at school :\ 

That being said, I think she's feeling overwhelmed with the full day stuff.
    Today she didn't want to go, and came back to M crying. He helped sooth her but a teacher had to come help her go back in the yard so M could leave.
    I've been watching my phone just in case - so far nothing and likely fine shortly after M left.
  • That's really good news about the sleep @VarunaTT, I hope that it continues
    @MissKittyDanger transitioning to full day school is a tough one for kids who haven't done it before.  BK will eat there when she's ready to...tell M to drop off and bounce asap, 99% of kids really are fine after a minute but a lingering goodbye is hard on not only the learners but the teachers

SSDD mode here and I'm glad for it.  
  • Oh hey there vacation weight! It finally showed up.  A week late, but it didn’t disappoint. 👋🏼 
    last night I went to see Barbarian.  Really weird movie but I kinda liked it? 
    I told you before I had to stop acrylics because of the rising cost but my hair stylist suggested press on nails.  When I think of that, I think of Lee press on’s from the 80’s.  The intent was there - but not the invention.  They never stuck! Impress had good reviews and they did stay a week! But they weren’t wide enough for my nail beds and were thick.  I bought the kiss - wide design last night as well and so far they seem to be holding up. The 12 hours I had them on.  Haha. But if they work, game changer!

• VarunaTT said:
    The convention board itself wanted me to take a directorship, but I declined.  I want to do what I want to do with these things now.  G wants me to do what I want to do and has put me on his team.  I'm actually looking forward to it.  For all of the community work I've done, it's rarely been on my terms and my wants, rather what I thought needed to be done and put myself forward.  It's nice to be wanted and respected for my skills and allowed to make my own decisions for once.
    @VarunaTT, it sounds like you will get more creative freedom and can do things more on your terms.  You may actually like it this time around. Good luck!

• I'm so happy for you @VarunaTT!  

G had a great day at school yesterday!  Teachers said he was a bit clingy at first but quickly found lots of activities and enjoyed lunch and naptime.  When he got home he talked at me for about 15 minutes straight about his day and then said "and most importantly, mama, I had beans." I was laughing so hard.  Kid loves baked beans :) 

Exhausted today and excited to get G back to falling asleep on his own.  When he got sick we were sitting with him a lot and obviously with him all night during hospital stays - now he has a meltdown if we try to leave before he's 100% asleep.  Makes for long evenings sometimes.  
  • YAY sleep @VarunaTT

Popping in for a few.  We had a good weekend.  HS football game Friday, running around and house stuff Saturday, plus I got to do all the cooking and baking, and then Sunday was football all day with friends and family.  

The week has started rough.  I was worn the hell out yesterday and DefConn is sick today.   We did a Covid test on him and it was negative.  DH is home with him today.  I'm WFH tomorrow to stay with him since he's not going to be fever free for 24 hours by tomorrow morning to go to school. 
  • @ei34 yeh teacher said it's totally normal, she's never been the picky eater kid.
    He usually does drop and bounce, but like eating - she's never had this issue so trying to figure out what the cause is also :\ 
  • We’ve been struggling with drop off since M moved up to the new room- the daycare says it can take 4-6 weeks for kids to adjust. Now they may just be telling us that so we don’t keep asking but could be some truth to it. 

As for the eating- what does she say when you ask her about lunch?
  • I hate days when I’m in meetings just to talk. It’s such our culture here but I hate it. I’ve been in meetings since 9 this morning, it’s too much. When do I get to actually do my work?!
  • We’ve been struggling with drop off since M moved up to the new room- the daycare says it can take 4-6 weeks for kids to adjust. Now they may just be telling us that so we don’t keep asking but could be some truth to it. 

As for the eating- what does she say when you ask her about lunch?
    Honestly nothing? I ask her if she likes her lunch and she says yes.
    I'll ask her if she wants me to change anything - sometimes I'll be specific about stuff - and sometimes she asks for something different.
    ex: yesterday I made crackers with cheese and turkey. I asked if she liked that or something different.
    BK: no ham
    Me: ok, so crackers and cheese?
    BK: yes
    Me: same cheese or cow cheese {it's laughing cow}
    BK: cow cheese!

So I did that. We'll see how it goes.

She'll eat it when she gets home, so it's not bad?
  • It can take a while for kids to adjust to drop offs. I remember when DS1 was in preschool he stayed longer on one of the days so that I could volunteer in the elementary school and get errands run. On those days he was clingy. The teachers suggested we put a little note in his lunch box for them to read to him at lunchtime. That seemed to work if my memory is accurate (it has been almost 30 years lol).

Not much going on today. My voicemail on my iPhone isn't working for some reason. H and I have done all the things but just can't figure it out. It is a recent development so I don't know. I guess I'll have to go to the ATT store to see if they can figure it out. They'll probably just send me to the Apple store who knows. I wasn't even aware of it until DD called yesterday and I called her back. She said the voicemail box just said I wasn't available. Technology!
  • @VarunaTT, good sleep can make all the difference.  Helping G with that convention sounds fun!  Hopefully it brings out the joy you like for those, without the stress of leadership.

It's been a super stressful day, but that was to be expected.  It's my last day at work until next Wednesday.  Tomorrow is the long haul drive to Branson.  Not looking forward to that.  We'll be leaving around 9am and probably won't arrive until about 8pm.  It's a 10-hour drive, but we're planning to stop in the 5 or 6 hour mark, for a sit-down meal.  I'm going to attempt to work on Excel spreadsheets for work so, we'll see how that goes in the car.

There is a surprising amount of "nothing" on that drive, like not even towns, so we'll need to be strategic on finding a restaurant for our stop, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There is a surprising amount of "nothing" on that drive, like not even towns, so we'll need to be strategic on finding a restaurant for our stop, lol.

In all seriousness, there is a section (I think it was between Memphis and Jackson) where there truly is nothing and you need to make sure to gas up before that patch.  We were running on fumes b/c I truly didn't expect an interstate to be so lacking in resources.  Also, um....we made that drive in 9 hours with a nap of 1/2 an hour when I had to pull over on the way home (b/c we had FUN in NOLA).  The MS section is a divided 4 lane highway, with massive magnolia trees running down the middle and you can see for miles; there's no where for a cop to hide.  I just couldn't help myself about speeding.
  • @VarunaTT, I am glad to hear that.

@MissKittyDanger and @mrsconn23, I hope things improve soon.

Quiet day for me today. Nothing new on the job front except that I think I got a fake job offer. I was texted and then sent an "offer letter" that somehow looks and feels phony. I'm watching my step.
  • Oh hey there vacation weight! It finally showed up.  A week late, but it didn’t disappoint. 👋🏼 
    I told you before I had to stop acrylics because of the rising cost but my hair stylist suggested press on nails.  When I think of that, I think of Lee press on’s from the 80’s.  The intent was there - but not the invention.  They never stuck! Impress had good reviews and they did stay a week! But they weren’t wide enough for my nail beds and were thick.  I bought the kiss - wide design last night as well and so far they seem to be holding up. The 12 hours I had them on.  Haha. But if they work, game changer!
    I do like the Impress nails.  I still use nail glue with them.  There is nail glue that comes in a regular nail polish looking bottle and I find it to be far more effective at keeping fake nails on.
  • Jen4948 said:
    @VarunaTT, I am glad to hear that.

Quiet day for me today. Nothing new on the job front except that I think I got a fake job offer. I was texted and then sent an "offer letter" that somehow looks and feels phony. I'm watching my step.
    Be careful!  I've heard of those.  Some of them will actual interview "candidates", and it is all a ploy to get their bank details.  A smart thing to do is to maybe google the company and call their office/customer service to ask details about their interviewing and hiring process, what to expect.  If something doesn't add up, ghost the scammer.

• Done work for the day, but I was dragging.  Not that I didn't get anything done, but everything is just really overwhelming at the moment.  My kitchen is starting to come together, but the counters have a three week lead time for we will be lucky to have our new kitchen by Thanksgiving (Canadian thanksgiving).  Hubby is still depressed and we are not doing too well, and work is stressful as well.  But as always ... I have cute bunnies.  That is my ray of sunshine.  Sweet, sweet rabbits.

• kerbohl said:
    Jen4948 said:
    @VarunaTT, I am glad to hear that.

Be careful!  I've heard of those.  Some of them will actual interview "candidates", and it is all a ploy to get their bank details.  A smart thing to do is to maybe google the company and call their office/customer service to ask details about their interviewing and hiring process, what to expect.  If something doesn't add up, ghost the scammer.
    Yup. Exactly my plan. I googled them and I am sure it's a scam.
  • VarunaTT said:
    Oh hey there vacation weight! It finally showed up.  A week late, but it didn’t disappoint. 👋🏼 
    I do like the Impress nails.  I still use nail glue with them.  There is nail glue that comes in a regular nail polish looking bottle and I find it to be far more effective at keeping fake nails on.
    Kiss brush on glue! Yup.  That’s the one I got, despite the glue coming with! Thanks for the tip. I’m rough with my nails so I hope they stay on.

@Jen4948, glad you realized it was a scam but sucks that those even exist. 

• edited September 2022
    Casadena said:
    I'm so happy for you @VarunaTT!  

G had a great day at school yesterday!  Teachers said he was a bit clingy at first but quickly found lots of activities and enjoyed lunch and naptime.  When he got home he talked at me for about 15 minutes straight about his day and then said "and most importantly, mama, I had beans." I was laughing so hard.  Kid loves baked beans :) 

Exhausted today and excited to get G back to falling asleep on his own.  When he got sick we were sitting with him a lot and obviously with him all night during hospital stays - now he has a meltdown if we try to leave before he's 100% asleep.  Makes for long evenings sometimes.  
    DS is like this sometimes. I will humor him sometimes but other times I will tell him I have to [insert task here] and I will come check on him before I go to bed. If he is still up, I will read him another story.
    He is sleeping 99% of the time I check on him.

Eta: the first time I tried this I came back quickly and them snuggled him to sleep. Then I would extend the time I was gone. Eventually he stopped freaking out that I was leaving because he knew I was coming back. 

Or if he's really not tired, I tell him he can play or read quietly in his room and when I finish cleaning up (or whatever) I will come read him another story and tuck him in. He will often be asleep when I come back.