Wedding Woes

Wednesday

short+sassyshort+sassy member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited November 2022 in Wedding Woes
The Powerball jackpot is up to wwhhaaattt?  1.2 billion.  With a B.  I don't usually buy lottery tickets, but I am going to today.  I can't resist my only infinitesimally small chance to be a billionaire.  At least for the brief moment before they take the taxes out, lol.

And apparently that is the 4th largest jackpot they have had.  Dang.  Not even the highest.

I was reading, what I thought was, a human interest story in my local online newspaper.  It was about a teenaged girl working at a McDonald's who was locked into the freezer with her coworkers, in a takeover robbery.  She called 911 and her mom, a 911 dispatcher, answered the call!  This paper has articles all the time about unusual things that happen in other places and I assumed this was one of those stories.  But as I read it, nope!  It was actually a local story.  And happened at a McDonalds that I've been to before and is only a few miles from my work.  Thankfully it's not the closest because, coincidentally, I went to the closer one for lunch yesterday.  But still!

That's why I need to win a billion dollars!  Pack-up my must-haves in one day.  Leave the rest and drive off into the sunset.  Then fly off into the sunset from a safer location, to my new oceanfront estate in Hawaii.  If only, lol. 

Edit: Sorry, y'all!  I'm so discombobulated, I was trying to make the week longer!  Thanks for the correction, @MissKittyDanger.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wednesday

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited November 2022
    Already a second post from me, lol.

They are doing major construction in my building right now and it's super loud.  Even my noise blocking headphones are barely making a dent.  I am so PO'ed about it.  It is infuriating they are forcing us to work in these conditions when all/most of us can just as easily WFH.

And for my next work rant of the day.  There are only two coworkers (A and C) that I cannot stand working with.  Fortunately, I rarely have to interact with either one of them.  Coworker A always has a patronizing attitude toward me.

She asked me to run a particular report on Friday.  For other projects, I run this type of report on a weekly basis.  But for the project she asked for, I only run this report on request.  But I never send out an old report for any project.  They are always fresh and updated. 

She sends me an e-mail today that she needs the RECENT report (with the word recent capitalized, just like I did here).  Excuse me?!?!  It even has Friday's date in the file name but, whatever.  I replied back that the report was updated and run on Friday and it is the most recent report.  At least she replied back with a "Thanks".  But that e-mail was so annoying this early in the workday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2022
    Today's WW theme: what would you do with a billion dollars?

I'd quit my job, obviously.  Remodel my whole house (or build a new one if we decided to leave our neighborhood, or maybe knock ours down and custom build a slightly bigger but exactly what we want home on our lot).  Give the teachers at the boys daycare each a gigantic fucking bonus check.  And either buy a small plane or get an account to lease one so i never have to fly commercial ever again.

Maybe buy a small property in the city or in a couple other places that we'd like to visit a lot.
  • oh, and join a fancy ass gym or hire a killer personal trainer to finally get in shape since I'll have so much time. 
  • It's Wednesday. lol
  • BK is so much better.

M took her for a walk in the cool air and she nearly coughed up crap, which is good. So now we're on watch for her coughing it up.
    I did more purple and steamed her too.

Dr said not croup because it's a phlegmy cough. Croup is a dry cough.

We youtubed a few different coughs to know what we're hearing/looking for next time.
    The closest to what BK has a cough of, would be like a bronchitis or RSV

Anyways, my mum is off early so BK is going to her place for the afternoon.
    She's also off on Friday and sleeping over at my mum's. M is excited because he's been dying to go for pho lol
    After the gym, he gets Subway and there's a cute little noodle house beside it that he just smells all the time.

We're either watching Cruella or Luckiest Girl Alive {Mila Kunis}

Saturday the plan is to grab some breakfast and do groceries together. We rarely get to, so it'll be nice :)
    Once groceries are away and settled, we'll see what's plan to pick up BK - since she doesn't see my mum often, we're letting her miss gymnastics.
  • It's Wednesday. lol
    LMAO.  Thanks for keeping me, in check.  I'm too busy fantasizing about how great life would be if I had the freedom to never worry about money again to remember what day it is.

Though I read startling statistics recently of the utter hell winning a big jackpot can cause.  People non-stop harass you.  Friends, family, and your community think you're a greedy, miserly person because you won't give all of them as much money as they want.  You're 120x more likely than the average person to be killed by a family member.  You're also more likely than the average person to declare bankruptcy (ironic) and commit suicide.

@Casadena, I like the idea of a plane.  Though private jet services seem like they would be less hassle and possibly less cost, depending on where and how often you fly.

Speaking of transportation reminds me that I want my own driver.  Which then reminds me I'd have the money to hire people for whatever else I didn't want to do, lol.  Full-time chef to prepare and serve all my meals/snacks/beverages to me.  Maybe a part or full-time personal assistant to run my errands, reply to e-mails/mail, make phone calls I need.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Buy a house for my siblings and parents so that they are all mortgage free.  Move to the Netherlands.  My new job will be volunteering.   And I'd pick a bunch of charities to donate to, but I'd have to be careful.  Some of the smaller ones don't have the infrastructure to handle really large donations, and I want to make sure that the money is helping not hindering.  
    Also, more rabbits.  Maybe hire a therapist for my two boys so they can work out their daddy/son issues and get along.  Because I have the money, why not!

• I would add an extension on to our house and stay in a fancy rental while we did it, I would take PTO and take a vacation, and I’d buy presents for my friends! Then I’d hire a great investor who had to act as a fiduciary & figure out how to invest it correctly! I’d have to pay off my student loans, I guess. 

I probably wouldn’t quit my job, for all the stress I really do love what I do. Although I’d probably reduce my hours for sure. And all the presents for the daycare teachers! 
  • Oooh I like this fantasy world. I buy a powerball ticket online at every lottery pull (is it PB or Mega? Lol) but I think my funds were low last I checked so I better make sure I have enough in there for this upcoming one.  It would be my luck “you would have won.  But you didn’t”. 

I would take care of SIL and bro first and foremost and make sure she had the best care.  Right now their insurance isn’t in network for a lot of top hospitals.  My parents seem to like living on the lake, so I’m moving them from third tier lake status to ON the lake.  And they’re getting a boat that starts every time they try it to! Helping my sister, aunt and cousins in Canada. Then I’m retiring to a place in Salem MA from June - Nov.  and a place in Calabasas CA from Nov - June.  The Kardashians and I will rub elbows, and I’ll save money by using Kim or Kylie’s private jet and I won’t need my own. 

• I would quit my job the absolute second everything was set up with the money however that would need to happen.  I would absolutely require a couple of million to just BLOW on things I've always wanted to do.  I would buy friends some houses and I would send some friends to school.  I would set up some individual trusts for some local organizations that I very much believe in and would love to see what they could do if half of their time didn't have to be spent fund raising.  I would pay off whatever my BFF needs and we would travel, Travel, TRAVEL to where ever we wanted, however we wanted, and we'd have an entourage of people who were well paid and treated, to take care of us.  And I'd go to all of the Grand Prixs in STYLE.  And the Kentucky Derby.  And I would buy a Christian Sirano and an Iris Van Herpen custom dress, just for floucing around in.  And lots of other things that are on the "you will never have enough money for this, but keep it on the list JIC".  Then I'd probably go to law school and send BFF to finally finish his seminary degree.  But law school would take forever, b/c travel.  I would be a very wealthy nomad basically.

I am sooooo grumpy today.  Checked my calendar and yep....ovulating.  So, I want to eat everything and murder everyone.  Totally standard.  IDK why I think just b/c I know what's causing grumpiness, means I should be less grumpy, but I seem to hold that opinion.  So that opinion is what I'm murdering today.

Otherwise, SSDD.  Nothing too much going on with life, just nesting at home and waiting for my hearing to come back.
  • It would be new house right away for me.  I think we'd just relocate to a different street in town to a place that is newer with more space that's updated.  I like our town so I wouldn't go far.

And then the kids would be set up with immediate college funds that we don't touch plus retirement for the two of us.

• @CharmedPam, it is the Powerball, not Mega.

The best thing ever that I would do with the money is quit my job and never work again.  I'm already selling all my real estate, but I'd lower the prices to a steal just to get rid of them all fast.

I already talked about my oceanfront house in HI, with a chef and driver.  Possibly a personal assistant.  I'd be a regular client for in-home massages and manicures/pedicures.

I'd also buy a condo on one of those private cruise ships that continuously circles the globe.  Which would go along with my other goal of "lots of traveling".  Plus it would be the kind of money where everything would be top scale, ie luxury suites and first class or private jet.

For others, I would see what my mom wants.  Set up college funds for my niece and nephew.  Buy a house for my sister/BIL.

For charities, it would be the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and ones for animals.  Abortion rights.  Environmental causes to soothe my guilt about sometimes living on a large ship.  

I wouldn't even bother actively investing it.  Throw it in something safe, like US Treasury bonds or CDs/Money Market.  Even something as pathetic as 1% interest is $1M/year for every $100M invested in one of those vehicles.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTT said:
    I would quit my job the absolute second everything was set up with the money however that would need to happen.  I would absolutely require a couple of million to just BLOW on things I've always wanted to do.  I would buy friends some houses and I would send some friends to school.  I would set up some individual trusts for some local organizations that I very much believe in and would love to see what they could do if half of their time didn't have to be spent fund raising.  I would pay off whatever my BFF needs and we would travel, Travel, TRAVEL to where ever we wanted, however we wanted, and we'd have an entourage of people who were well paid and treated, to take care of us.  And I'd go to all of the Grand Prixs in STYLE.  And the Kentucky Derby.  And I would buy a Christian Sirano and an Iris Van Herpen custom dress, just for floucing around in.  And lots of other things that are on the "you will never have enough money for this, but keep it on the list JIC".  Then I'd probably go to law school and send BFF to finally finish his seminary degree.  But law school would take forever, b/c travel.  I would be a very wealthy nomad basically.

I am sooooo grumpy today.  Checked my calendar and yep....ovulating.  So, I want to eat everything and murder everyone.  Totally standard.  IDK why I think just b/c I know what's causing grumpiness, means I should be less grumpy, but I seem to hold that opinion.  So that opinion is what I'm murdering today.

Otherwise, SSDD.  Nothing too much going on with life, just nesting at home and waiting for my hearing to come back.
    Take me with you!  That's on my bucket list.  We'll wear the biggest, fanciest hats.

I would also do this if I had money.  

• It's Wednesday. lol
    LMAO.  Thanks for keeping me, in check.  I'm too busy fantasizing about how great life would be if I had the freedom to never worry about money again to remember what day it is.
    It made me double check tbh lmao
  • M & I have a plan if we win big money because we do the CHEO dream home {you can sell the home}

We'd sell the dream home for the funds. Property tax alone would be too high.

Pay off current house and vehicles. Start doing upgrades around our place - kitchen overall, paint entire house, maybe finish basement?

Make sure funds in retirement and in RESP for BK.

Then basically when it's all done, we'll see what we wanna do. Sell? Stay?
  • Oh, I would also splurge on All Clad, Le Crueset, and some super high end knives for my kitchen stuffs.  Not from the outlets or other loopholes I have either.  I've been champagne style on a beer budget long enough, I'd be buying all the stuffs I want, when i want it, no worries.

• First thing I would do is hire a lawyer, set up an LLC, and collect the money anonymously. I know you can't do that in all the lottos, but it's one way to keep people from coming out of the woodwork for money. Plus also get a financial advisor and set up some kind of trust that prevents me from blowing it all too fast. 

Anyway, then the usual. Set up college and trust funds for all my niblings, a pool on our current house, update the kitchen and put in a wine cellar, plus a vacation property or two. Do something cool for our family members, like maybe a vacation house and cover their flights whenever they want to go. Buy some clothes that fit, or get everything tailored. Host epic dinner parties with a private chef, but in our pajamas. Maybe buy a congressman. 

I remember this dude who came into a restaurant that I worked at a few times who was a ridiculous tipper. Once he sat in my section alone, so like $20-30 check. He tipped me $100. I would do that. 
  • VarunaTT said:
    Oh, I would also splurge on All Clad, Le Crueset, and some super high end knives for my kitchen stuffs.  Not from the outlets or other loopholes I have either.  I've been champagne style on a beer budget long enough, I'd be buying all the stuffs I want, when i want it, no worries.
    MIL is slowly replacing a bunch of her stuff with Le Crueset stuff. She adores it.
    She actually got one of the 150 Canadian ones {they made 150 - idk which she got but it was sheer luck}
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited November 2022
    First thing I would do is hire a lawyer, set up an LLC, and collect the money anonymously. I know you can't do that in all the lottos, but it's one way to keep people from coming out of the woodwork for money. Plus also get a financial advisor and set up some kind of trust that prevents me from blowing it all too fast. 

Anyway, then the usual. Set up college and trust funds for all my niblings, a pool on our current house, update the kitchen and put in a wine cellar, plus a vacation property or two. Do something cool for our family members, like maybe a vacation house and cover their flights whenever they want to go. Buy some clothes that fit, or get everything tailored. Host epic dinner parties with a private chef, but in our pajamas. Maybe buy a congressman. 

I remember this dude who came into a restaurant that I worked at a few times who was a ridiculous tipper. Once he sat in my section alone, so like $20-30 check. He tipped me $100. I would do that. 
    Good calls!  I think a lot of people need to be protected from themselves, myself included.  I've heard most lottos require the ability to use that person's name and face for the big prizes.  On another forum, someone mentioned they would legally change their name afterwards.  Probably not enough to keep everyone away, but enough to keep away a lot.

On a forum I used to belong to, one of the people worked for a law firm that sounded like they did estate planning, among other things.  One of the attorneys had a specialty niche related to large money windfalls, like the lottery.  It wasn't the only thing he did but, anytime they got calls from lottery winners, he was the guy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • First thing I would do is hire a lawyer, set up an LLC, and collect the money anonymously. I know you can't do that in all the lottos, but it's one way to keep people from coming out of the woodwork for money. Plus also get a financial advisor and set up some kind of trust that prevents me from blowing it all too fast. 

I've seen people who accept the money go in masks because they do videos/photos for this reason.

Actually! Funny story from another office in my company.

So a client had basically gone no contact in their bankruptcy.
    They ended up winning some kinda lotto and because small town, they were in the paper.
    Trustee in other office called and basically was like "Hey buddy .... that lotto winnings is an asset" lol
  • I  definitely see it as a huge concern for notoriety if we did win.

The good news is that this is all so 'out there' that it's fun to talk about even though it wouldn't materialize. 
  • M & I have a plan if we win big money because we do the CHEO dream home {you can sell the home}

Pay off current house and vehicles. Start doing upgrades around our place - kitchen overall, paint entire house, maybe finish basement?

I was watching one of those "lottery winners" show.  One of the people interviewed had won a house valued over $1M.  It was a lot of hassle to deal with!  They weren't sorry they had won, but they did want to warn people about the aftermath.

First off, they needed to pay state and federal income tax on the value of the prize before they could claim it, ie before they owned it.  That's easy enough when the prize is money.  Not so easy when the prize is a thing.

They had to sell their own house to come up with that money!  And they felt extremely lucky they had something valuable enough to claim the prize house or they might have had to forfeit it.

After being able to claim the prize house, they sold it.  Because the property taxes/insurance were so high.

Then they bought another house.  Phew!  So much shuffling houses around.  I can't remember if they bought their final home with all cash or a large down payment.  But they did get a bigger/nicer house than what they had started with and a zero/smaller loan.

This was the US, your results may vary in Canada.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I tangentially knew a lottery winner. She was a customer at the bank I worked at, in college. She won $3M.  Such a cute story!  I heard it after the fact and she and her guy were already engaged.

She was in her early 20s.  Struggling college student.  It was neat for me to see someone win where it made such a difference in the start of their life.  She and her b/f had been dating for a few years, but he hadn't proposed yet because they were waiting until they graduated, got jobs, and were more financially settled.

Awesome!  So now they didn't need to wait to get married.  At least that is what she was thinking.  She kept waiting for him to propose, but he didn't.  It finally became too much for her, so she asked him about it.  He told her he hadn't been sure what to do because it felt awkward to him to propose to her after she had won a lot of money.  He didn't want her to think he was doing it to share in the winnings.  They went shopping for rings and he proposed to her a short while later.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I was watching one of those "lottery winners" show.  One of the people interviewed had won a house valued over $1M.  It was a lot of hassle to deal with!  They weren't sorry they had won, but they did want to warn people about the aftermath.

First off, they needed to pay state and federal income tax on the value of the prize before they could claim it, ie before they owned it.  That's easy enough when the prize is money.  Not so easy when the prize is a thing.

They had to sell their own house to come up with that money!  And they felt extremely lucky they had something valuable enough to claim the prize house or they might have had to forfeit it.

After being able to claim the prize house, they sold it.  Because the property taxes/insurance were so high.

Then they bought another house.  Phew!  So much shuffling houses around.  I can't remember if they bought their final home with all cash or a large down payment.  But they did get a bigger/nicer house than what they had started with and a zero/smaller loan.

This was the US, your results may vary in Canada.   
    Yeh so with the CHEO dream home, they have options.

But also there's no capital gains with our lotto

Grand Prize - Dream of a Lifetime

For reference, the house isn't super far from us lol
  • Oh man, if we won the lottery I would quit immediately lol. Not that I don’t like what I do, but there are a lot of other things in life that bring me joy. I would buy some new houses in my favorite places, get my dad private rehab for the next six months or however long he needed, and he could focus on healing instead of worrying how they will survive without his paycheck. I’d buy allll of the fancy skin care things and get myself the car I want and the makeover I want. And H could quit his job and focus on school and then we could travel. We would travel everywhere. And stay for weeks everywhere. I’d have a personal chef and a trainer and I’d build myself amazing home gyms. And then I would pay off some debt for my bffs and get together with one of my good friends and work on the women’s health/postpartum app we’ve always wanted to do. Of course investing but at $500 mil (after taxes) even super safe low return investments would be enough for us to live on and help family out forever. 

I am pretty sick. Would have stayed home if I was able to. I used an app to order myself some antibiotics last night and I’m hoping I get some dose response soon. I know it might take until tomorrow or Friday morning though. Ugh. I am definitely over this. I had that meeting with my manager on Thursday/Friday about needing to switch schedules before I crashed and burned…and I’m crashing and burning. 

• With a big lottery win I could jump-start my businesses, buy some things for myself, and make some charitable donations, but there would be a lot of publicity I don't need along with taxes.

Feel better soon @levioosa. I've been feeling sick too although I'm somewhat better.
  • Jen4948 said:
    With a big lottery win I could jump-start my businesses, buy some things for myself, and make some charitable donations, but there would be a lot of publicity I don't need along with taxes.

Feel better soon @levioosa. I've been feeling sick too although I'm somewhat better.
    What kind of business do you want to start?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not sure if it was a coincidence but yesterday my Smithsonian Travel catalogue arrived in the mail.  There are a few dream trips there for sure, just out of reach.  
  • Y'all just reminded me, I did know a lottery winner once. She was a young, broke, and a recent immigrant when she won a scratch off. I'm not sure what the actual prize was, but she said it was around $50k after taxes. She bought the liquor store where she worked a clerk. 

Anyway, with a lot of smart moves and probably a little more luck, she grew it into a regional chain over the following 20 years. I'm guessing she wound up as a millionaire in the long run anyway.