Wedding Woes

"I don't think I'm your audience for this."

Dear Prudence,

I am a librarian in a small, mostly white and middle/lower middle-class town. I am also white. Presumably because of this, and because I have a front-facing job where I’m generally friendly with everyone who comes in, several patrons have assumed it’s alright to say bigoted things in conversation with me. It’s mostly run-of-the-mill racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, etc.

To give an example, the mother of a tween was talking to me about non-Twilight vampire books that might be appropriate for her child, and when the topic of Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined (Stephanie Meyer’s gender-swapped Twilight cash grab) came up, out of nowhere this woman told me how she wouldn’t like it or let her child read it because it would be “unnatural” for the gender roles to be switched. Ma’am, these are vampires! She then proceeded to take my confused silence as permission to start complaining about the reboot of The Wonder Years and how she thought Black people shouldn’t “take over our TV shows.”

The library’s policy is that we are allowed to engage in political discussions if the patrons bring up political topics first, but I’m struggling with how to convey a firm message of, “I am not the sympathetic audience you’re looking for!” I know that I won’t be able to influence every library patron into rethinking their stances on certain issues, but how can I shut down these conversations in a way that makes it clear I do not agree and that we don’t tolerate discrimination in the library?

—Lost Librarian

Re: "I don't think I'm your audience for this."

• This is a perfect "bean dip" situation.
  • "If that is the view you're taking might I suggest (X Book).  If you'll excuse me I think I need to go erase my memory." 
  • “I don’t share this perspective but I’m happy to make other book recommendations if you would like”. 
  • "This is not a topic I'd like to engage in or discuss with you."
  • It's interesting they are allowed to engage in political discussions, if the patron brings it up first.  I'd run with that.  But I would personalize it for the comment.

For the two examples.

Twilight -- (with a chuckle and light tone) "Vampires are pretty unnatural too!  But it is so freeing we are moving away from old gender roles and sometimes even the idea of gender, all together.  Something to consider.  But in the meantime, I think 'these' book titles are more what you are looking for."

Wonder Years -- (politely and conversationally) "I disagree. This was a timeless series that has value for everyone.  The families being a different race doesn't take anything away from that and makes it more inclusive for the next generation to enjoy.  We don't live in an all-white country but for too long, that was what our tv shows represented."

---------------------------------

For me, this isn't hypothetical by any stretch of the imagination.  I've worked with the public in the past and heard racist comments from customers.  Sometimes directed at the employees I supervised.  I would politely and professionally, but authoritatively, verbally shut that shit down.  Including telling a customer to leave if it was especially egregious.

In non-public positions, I've had coworkers make racist or anti-Muslim comments. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often.  But I will calmly ask the coworker not to use a word or a make a statement like that, because I am offended by it.  

OMG!  And I almost forgot.  I had a racist tenant once.  I didn't know she was when she moved in or I wouldn't have rented to her.  She was a POC herself but, when I moved a Hispanic family into the next door unit, she called me very upset about it because (insert negative racial stereotypes about Hispanic people).  So then I'm actually having to tell her it's unfair to judge a person by the color of their skin and ancestral heritage and please at least be polite, smh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The library’s policy is that we are allowed to engage in political discussions if the patrons bring up political topics first

so, like, it’s in writing?