Attire & Accessories Forum

Different types of lace in photos (MOG and Bride)

Hi there, 
I purchased a gorgeous lace gown for my son and daughter-in-law-to-be's wedding this summer. I wanted to clear it first with them both to ensure they liked it. While my future DIL likes my selection, she is concerned how this will look in photos as she is also wearing a lace dress. I want this day to be perfect and stress free for these two so I will absolutely look for a different dress if I need to. I want to check first though to see what the protocol is for bride and MIL both wearing lace and if this will look funny in the photos. My dress is blue and hers is white btw. Feedback is appreciated! 

Re: Different types of lace in photos (MOG and Bride)

• Hi there, 
    I purchased a gorgeous lace gown for my son and daughter-in-law-to-be's wedding this summer. I wanted to clear it first with them both to ensure they liked it. While my future DIL likes my selection, she is concerned how this will look in photos as she is also wearing a lace dress. I want this day to be perfect and stress free for these two so I will absolutely look for a different dress if I need to. I want to check first though to see what the protocol is for bride and MIL both wearing lace and if this will look funny in the photos. My dress is blue and hers is white btw. Feedback is appreciated! 
    I definitely do not think it would look weird for both of you to be in different colors of lace.

I appreciate your willingness to make the couple happy, but honestly, what you wear on your own body is something they get no say in. Even if it would somehow look weird, approving your attire (especially since you're not in the wedding party), is not at all something that's within their purview. Adults get to dress themselves. If you're wearing a dress you love and feel comfortable in, the pictures will look better because they will show a woman who is happy for her son and DIL and also feels great about herself.

I say this not because you are or should be upset about this - after all, you volunteered to show them the dress - but because I don't want anyone involved with this wedding harming other relationships (e.g., a sister) by trying to talk them out of wearing what they want, or wearing their hair however they want, etc. just because of a couple of posed pictures. Pictures are meant to capture the image of people you love, not an aesthetic.
  • I totally agree with @flantastic. It will not weird for you to be wearing lace while the bride is wearing lace. Other than the bridal party, the couple has no say in what people wear. 
  • The only concern is if your dress of choice is white/cream in color, otherwise, if the dress you picked out makes you look and feel great wearing - that's the one to wear!!!  As Flan said - you get to dress yourself!
  • I see no problem with the bride and MOG wearing a lace dress. I don't see how/why that would look weird in photos??