Wedding Woes
Options

Classic: there are no 'boy' and 'girl' colors to a 2 year old.

Over lunch the other day my brother mentioned that he had taken his 2-year-old son to buy a helmet so he can ride his tricycle outside, and that my nephew’s first choice was a yellow and pink helmet covered with cartoon flowers. My brother gently steered him toward a more “manly” helmet. This provoked a lively (amiable) discussion around the table as to whether little boys should be allowed to wear pink and flowers if they so choose. My immediate response was that they should, but I suppose I can see my brother’s point that allowing kids to wear anything they please might get them bullied. What’s your position?

Re: Classic: there are no 'boy' and 'girl' colors to a 2 year old.

• Options
    COLORS DON'T HAVE GENDER.

Until we start teaching/believing that as adults, the kids are going to fall in line.  Teach your kid how to explain (age approriate for everyone) that this is what they like and it's awesome.
  • Options
    My two year old loves bunnies and trucks. 

It’s people like LWs brother that make kids feel like colors have genders. It’s his fault and he’s perpetuating it instead of helping his kid build strength and character. 
  • Options
    How asinine.  By "classic" does it mean like 25 years ago?  Brother is the pits.  DS loves glittery/sparkly shoes and those sequin-flip shirts.  They look nice in the sun.  I feel like the brother would have a bigger issue here than any of the kids in my son's class have had.
  • Options
    ei34 said:
    How asinine.  By "classic" does it mean like 25 years ago?  Brother is the pits.  DS loves glittery/sparkly shoes and those sequin-flip shirts.  They look nice in the sun.  I feel like the brother would have a bigger issue here than any of the kids in my son's class have had.
    I paint my son's toe nails.  He loves it!!

Years ago my SIL said she didn't want to do it because she was afraid of what BIL would say.