Wedding Woes

You gave her several chances. You don't owe her more.

Dear Prudence,

I am a stay-at-home mom to a toddler, and I am currently pregnant. My neighbor pays me a few hundred a week to take care of their baby. I am currently exhausted and stressed out over the situation, all because of my sister.

She has three elementary-aged children and depends on me to pick them up from school. The deal was I would do this if my sister would come over on the weekends the kids are with their dad and deep-clean my house. My sister has done this twice since she met her new boyfriend, and the last time was half-assed at best. I can’t handle six children every day, on top of my the new baby on the way.

I have repeatedly told my sister she needs to honor the deal or find other child care. She makes promises and does not follow through. The last time, I told her I wouldn’t be picking up the kids, and she would have to deal with the consequences. I stuck to my word and let the school call my sister and her ex for the pick-up. It screwed up their work schedule, and they had to pay a fine three times. My sister was furious with me and dragged our mother into the argument. My mother thinks I am being too hard on my sister and since their kids are easy, I am making a mountain out of a molehill. I need some back up here. What should I do?

— Too Much

Re: You gave her several chances. You don't owe her more.

• Even if it was a mountain out of a molehill (which I don't think it is), it doesn't matter.  It's YOUR molehill and you get to die on it if you want to.  Even if sis had been coming over to do her part of the deal, you're welcome to stop providing your service and she can stop providing hers at any time.

I'd have one more conversation where I re-drew the boundary, firmly, and if they keep trying to bring it up, you can bean dip or end the conversation.
  • I also don’t think “deep cleaning” every what? Other week? Doesn’t equal picking up three kids and watching them EVERY shool day either.  LW got the short end of the stick. I’d use the new baby as an excuse.  “Sis, since another one is coming, I can’t do this anymore”. 

• I also don’t think “deep cleaning” every what? Other week? Doesn’t equal picking up three kids and watching them EVERY shool day either.  LW got the short end of the stick. I’d use the new baby as an excuse.  “Sis, since another one is coming, I can’t do this anymore”. 
    Exactly!  This was already a super, sweet deal for the sister.  And then she's not even holding up her small end of the bargain.

Another option the LW could pursue is to charge the sister a weekly amount that more than covers a weekly deep cleaning.  But, especially with a new baby coming, I'd probably lean more toward cutting off the service.

The new baby is a good reason to stop doing this anyway, though I wouldn't be shy about adding in "especially since you're not doing your part to help me".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No effing way. Your sister is out of her mind if she thinks she’s been wronged here. 

5 days a week after school care costs $1000/month here so sister was getting a DEAL. LW should feel zero responsibility for cutting that off. 
  • Sister, of course, was going to be pissed her 'free' daycare was getting cut-off (even though it was a "deal"  for her to supposedly have skin in the game, but it completely benefitted her way more than LW). 

However, I am beyond annoyed at the mom stepping in and taking the sister's side here.  I find that the most egregious of all of this.  It shows me (presumably) what mom thinks of LW (a SAHM who has a 'little babysitting gig' for the neighbor) and sister (a working divorcee with three kids that needs 'help' for her 'easy' kids).  That is so frustrating.  Also, dad is clearly in the picture, so this should have never involved LW in the first place IMO.  

LW needs to stick to their stance, but damn this is a suck-ass situation to be in and it's really frustrating to have the other side 'stacked' against you when it's your mom and sister. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Sister, of course, was going to be pissed her 'free' daycare was getting cut-off (even though it was a "deal"  for her to supposedly have skin in the game, but it completely benefitted her way more than LW). 

However, I am beyond annoyed at the mom stepping in and taking the sister's side here.  I find that the most egregious of all of this.  It shows me (presumably) what mom thinks of LW (a SAHM who has a 'little babysitting gig' for the neighbor) and sister (a working divorcee with three kids that needs 'help' for her 'easy' kids).  That is so frustrating.  Also, dad is clearly in the picture, so this should have never involved LW in the first place IMO.  

LW needs to stick to their stance, but damn this is a suck-ass situation to be in and it's really frustrating to have the other side 'stacked' against you when it's your mom and sister. 
    And Mom isn't DOING anything!!