Wedding Woes
Options

Divorced future inlaws

My future in laws are divorced. They are both wonderful people, and actually have a very healthy friendship/co-parenting relationship. They have no issues attending events at our home when the other is there. My future father in law has a girlfriend. No one is a fan of her. She has been the source of a lot of issues that I have had to deal with firsthand...she is all about DRAMA.  She has given me entirely too much unsolicited advice with regards to planning, even as far as to tell me we couldn't secure a date because a distant relative (who got engaged 1 month before us) was planning around the same time of year. We already know we are not going to be invited to that wedding, and we are not inviting them or any of their immediate family either. (everyone thinks its just because she wants to go to 2 weddings). I just nod and say "oh that is a cool idea" and it all goes right out of the other ear..... She has always tried to be "step-mom" but will never be recognized as that by any of the children....Ok... rant over.... here is the dilemma. 

We are planning to have his parents walk down the aisle together, and be introduced at the reception together, as they are his biological parents. She will not have any special acknowledgment at any point of the day. She will be seated by an usher (NOT IN THE FRONT ROW). she will enter the reception as a GUEST. 
I can just see now the fit "GF" will throw. I do not intend to include her in any aspect of planning. I am going to do 2 "main family tables" for reception... one for mom family and one for dad family. My future mother in law does not like her but is totally cordial and fine with being around her for her children's sake. GF has this thorn in her side and throws a fit or causes drama anytime MIL is around..... 

How do I handle this?! 

Re: Divorced future inlaws

• Options
    edited February 2023
    My future in laws are divorced. They are both wonderful people, and actually have a very healthy friendship/co-parenting relationship. They have no issues attending events at our home when the other is there. My future father in law has a girlfriend. No one is a fan of her. She has been the source of a lot of issues that I have had to deal with firsthand...she is all about DRAMA.  She has given me entirely too much unsolicited advice with regards to planning, even as far as to tell me we couldn't secure a date because a distant relative (who got engaged 1 month before us) was planning around the same time of year. We already know we are not going to be invited to that wedding, and we are not inviting them or any of their immediate family either. (everyone thinks its just because she wants to go to 2 weddings). I just nod and say "oh that is a cool idea" and it all goes right out of the other ear..... She has always tried to be "step-mom" but will never be recognized as that by any of the children....Ok... rant over.... here is the dilemma. 

We are planning to have his parents walk down the aisle together, and be introduced at the reception together, as they are his biological parents. She will not have any special acknowledgment at any point of the day. She will be seated by an usher (NOT IN THE FRONT ROW). she will enter the reception as a GUEST. 
    I can just see now the fit "GF" will throw. I do not intend to include her in any aspect of planning. I am going to do 2 "main family tables" for reception... one for mom family and one for dad family. My future mother in law does not like her but is totally cordial and fine with being around her for her children's sake. GF has this thorn in her side and throws a fit or causes drama anytime MIL is around..... 

How do I handle this?! 
    It really seems like you're going out of your way to slight her, which...why? This isn't even your step mom it's your soon to be FIL's girlfriend. I really don't understand your intense animosity towards this woman. 

How you handle it is simple. Your FI should be asking his parents how they want to walk down the aisle, and how they want to be introduced into the reception. Why are you making this decision for them? They are not married any longer, and your future FIL has a partner. 

The girlfriend needs to be seated with your your future FIL at the ceremony, along with at the reception. The fact that you're considering otherwise is bonkers. 
  • Options
    Also, her enthusiasm or seeming overinvolvement may come from a place of insecurity.  I'm sure it's hard to find your place in these situations.  It doesn't sound like she's coming from a place of malice, but trying to fit into your H's family and is unsure of how that works.  And, she may be your other MIL one day, so it's best to find a way to find common ground with her and forge some sort of relationship, even if it is surface-level.  
  • Options
    banana468 My biggest concern is that she has gone to such lengths to sabotage the relationship between  FI so many times (numerous people have witnessed this and told her that she is being inappropriate including FFIL) , and has even gone to lengths that have put me in harms way a few times. I am not talking about "oh we just don't like her". She is not a nice person. I too, worry that I am being petty, but this is the dilemma that I am trying to resolve in the way that FI and I are most comfortable with.

- OK maybe the ceremony idea is something I can budge on. She can sit next to FFIL and seated by an usher. 
    -to clarify- she will be at the same table as FFIL, and FMIL will be at another table/ sorry if I wasn’t clear on it!

FMIL and FFIL have been asked by FI how they would like to walk down the aisle, and be introduced at the wedding, and they both asked if they could be introduced together, and walk together. 

mrsconn23, thank you for your kind words and thoughtful insight. If everyone knew the nitty gritty details, I think they might have some different thoughts, but I am not here to air all of the laundry.  If I really wanted to be Petty- I would 86 her from the guest list entirely. 

Your comment"  I'd hope, as a grown-ass adult who lives in the world and has hopefully been to other major events that require some sort of formality, that she can be chill for a night and just enjoy a party and a free meal." Is my biggest concern. She has shown numerous times that she is completely incapable. We were at a family wedding (FMIL Brother) where FMIL and FFIL were invited. GF got so intoxicated and threw a fit that FMIL was AT HER OWN BROTHERS WEDDING AND TRIED TO DEMAND SHE LEAVE. It got so bad the FMIL left her own brothers wedding after dinner to keep peace. 
  • Options
    Also- thank you everyone for your input- I truly appreciate it, sometimes an outsider telling your idea is “out there” helps to put things into a different perspective, and makes me realize “don’t die on every hill” is very important. This hill is a very painful one though!! 
  • Options
    Also Also- I was having technical issues and don’t know why this posted a bunch of times! Yikes!
  • Options
    We can only comment and give advice based on the details that are provided upfront. 

And listen, I get it. My ex-MIL was a nightmare. She even demanded to be invited to my brother's wedding, and once my mom relented, somehow managed to make it all about her. 

I think your best move here is to just be as gracious as you can. Because separating her from FFIL will just her more ammo, so to speak. 
  • Options
    I looked back through and one thing not mentioned, is that you can talk to a close family friend or someone else not involved with the actual wedding stuff that you trust, to basically keep an eye on her and deal with anything that starts to happen that gets out of control.  Not a "throw her out" type thing, but "Hey, if she starts arguing with someone, intervene and change the subject" stuffs.
  • Options
    The other thing you can do is address the bartending staff and alert them to a problem drinker.  The fact that she's dating the FOG puts her in an easy to spot position.   Let them know that they can expect to need to watch her in case they suspect she's over served. 

Othewise, often being nice is the best course here. 

• Options
    My inlaws are separated.

MIL walked my husband down the aisle.
    She sat with SFIL

FIL and SMIL sat together. We had all the parents - including my mum - sit together at the front and they arranged themselves.

Not putting you FFIL and spouse together - regardless if she starts drama or not - is asking for trouble.