Wedding Woes
Options

Oh LW, dump the bigot now.

Dear Prudence, 

​I’ve known my long-distance boyfriend for 10 years. Everything is amazing except that he will freely use the “F” slur. I’m a bisexual, 23 female, and I came out as gender fluid this year—news that he rejected. He’s apologized to me in the past and explained it’s just the way he was raised, and that he doesn’t know any better. He knows how I feel about the slur—and yet he continues to use it! Recently, on the phone, he asked why I never compliment his dick pics, asked if I’m a lesbian, and called me a “fuckin’ f-word.” Honestly, I had no response to that and just hung up. How do I convey to him how much this upsets me?

—Maybe I’m Gay, Who Knows?

Re: Oh LW, dump the bigot now.

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence, 

​I’ve known my long-distance boyfriend for 10 years. Everything is amazing except that he will freely use the “F” slur. I’m a bisexual, 23 female, and I came out as gender fluid this year—news that he rejected. He’s apologized to me in the past and explained it’s just the way he was raised, and that he doesn’t know any better. He knows how I feel about the slur—and yet he continues to use it! Recently, on the phone, he asked why I never compliment his dick pics, asked if I’m a lesbian, and called me a “fuckin’ f-word.” Honestly, I had no response to that and just hung up. How do I convey to him how much this upsets me?

Why are you with this person? 

You convey that it upsets you by dumping him and telling him quite frankly that he has few if any redeeming qualities. 
  • Options
    He 'rejected' your identity, antagonizes you, calls you names, put you down, and so on.  And this was a short letter!   

You deserve so much better LW.  Please, for you, block his number and in any other way you can, and never see him again.  
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence, 

By DTMFA.  That's how.

NO ONE should have to endure anything like this from any partner, period.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence, 

By DTMFA.  That's how.

NO ONE should have to endure anything like this from any partner, period.
    Or a fellow human being!  
  • Options
    You are 23 years old. Get out. You have way too much life to live to stay with some bigoted idiot you started dating at 13 years old. You grew as a person. He did not. Fuck this guy. 

• Options
    Dump. Him. 
  • Options
    Breaking up with him, blocking his number, changing the locks, and never speaking to him again would do it. I’d also explore in therapy your self esteem and boundaries.