Wedding Woes

I caused some weighty family drama.

Dear Prudence,

My husband of five years (together for seven) has a family place in the country where we spend most weekends, and I often invite my friends and family. This has been a dream come true because I’ve finally been able to return to horseback riding, after taking lessons for several years as a kid but having to give it up for financial reasons. Along with a flock of chickens, a few peacocks, and a rescue pig, our farmlet is home to my two horses. “Selena,” my first horse, whom I’ve had for about siz years, is a 20-year-old, 15.3 hand Thoroughbred mare weighing just over 1,000 pounds. “Apollo,” my new horse, whom I’ve only had five months, is a 6-year-old, 17.2 hand warmblood gelding weighing about 1,400 pounds. Selena is quiet and gentle enough that I can lead her around with a complete beginner or let them ride her in the round pen with supervision. Apollo is a huge sweetheart but still somewhat green, energetic, a bit of a goofball, and needs at least an intermediate rider. I don’t let anyone on him but myself or my trainer—I can too easily see him sensing this person doesn’t know what they’re doing, tossing them playfully, but forcefully and from a great height, into the dirt, and bounding away, kicking his heels up and farting in glee.

So recently, my parents and sister visited us in the country, along with my sister’s new girlfriend “Faye,” whom I hadn’t met before. My sister only recently came out to our parents (I had known for much longer) and they’re a bit awkwardly overeager to demonstrate their liberal bona fides by embracing whoever she chooses to date.

Faye is a person of size. She wanted to ride a horse. She claimed to have quite a bit of riding experience, but admitted it was many years ago, and also probably (although she did not admit this) many pounds ago. She wouldn’t tell me her weight, but she was significantly bigger than a close friend of mine about her height who weighs around 300. I told her, and showed multiple citations online, that a horse can be injured by being forced to carry more than 20 percent of its own weight. For Selena this is about 200 pounds, which has not been an issue with anyone who’s been interested in riding her previously. So Faye asked if she could ride the big horse. I explained that, while Apollo is perfectly sweet and huggy on the ground, he is (A) not a beginner-safe horse like Selena, and (B) even if he was, his weight limit would still be about 280 pounds, which I couldn’t verify she met.

Faye got mad. My sister got mad. Our parents got mad. I got upset that I was being asked to put Selena—who, as the first horse I’ve ever owned or competed on, I have a strong bond with and a lifelong commitment to—at serious risk by plopping a third or more of her body weight on her elderly spine. My husband got mad that they were upsetting me, and invited them all to leave. They left. I haven’t spoken with any of them since. First of all, how could I have handled this better? Second of all, how can I make up and apologize for all the unpleasantness, while making it clear that I’m not apologizing for refusing to endanger and will never endanger my horses’ welfare?

— Weighing the Issue

Re: I caused some weighty family drama.

• If you have this set up then in the future be clear with those who will be guests.  As awful as it is the only thing I can think of is that you place a scale in the barn near the horses and tell guests in advance that anyone interested in riding needs to be weighed to determine if their weight is an issue. 

It is a really touchy subject but I think the LW isn't the AH here. 
  • I think LW isn't a jerk necessarily but could maybe have just shut down rides altogether without singling out Faye? When Faye asked LW could have just said the big horse isn't taking riders other than her or the trainer and the little horse has been having back issues bc of her age. Those aren't really lies per se but would have avoided the singling out of Faye bc of her weight even though weight on a horse is a valid concern. 
  • Agreed that this is a touchy subject, and I really can't fault LW for looking out for her horse's safety. I don't know much about horses, but I have heard about that weight limits and the effects it can cause when a horse takes on too much weight with a rider. 

I'm sure though it didn't help that her husband "got mad and invited them to leave" and I bet that added more strife to an already tense situation. 
  • While there might have been a more delicate way to handle the situation, I don’t think LW is in the wrong here. Animal Welfare > someone’s feelings. 

Listen, I’m overweight (and have a fair amount of body dysmorphia) and I know I’m not too much for a horse to handle, but I was considering riding this weekend and taking a horseback wine tour and I looked up the weight requirements because I wanted to be sure. The website laid it out very quickly and was very firm that anyone over 280 lbs would not be allowed to ride. If sister’s GF really did used to ride, she should know better. 

• Why couldn’t you just tell her that you don’t allow anyone to ride the horses? 

My concern is that the family could be "asking for exceptions" especially if they know that the LW rides and "they're family so why is she treating them like this."
  • banana468 said:
    Why couldn’t you just tell her that you don’t allow anyone to ride the horses? 

My concern is that the family could be "asking for exceptions" especially if they know that the LW rides and "they're family so why is she treating them like this."
    Also it sounds like friends and family ride all the time. The visit was probably already prefaced with “and they have horses we can ride!” 

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2023
    But this is exactly like looking at anything you do.  When you go on a cruise, and pick out an excursion, they’re nice enough to tell you the weight limits and all restrictions in writing. Just because Faye is doing an “excursion” at a home, it doesn’t void the limits.

btw I love the name Faye.

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    But this is exactly like looking at anything you do.  When you go on a cruise, and pick out an excursion, they’re nice enough to tell you the weight limits and all restrictions in writing. Just because Faye is doing an “excursion” at a home, it doesn’t void the limits.

btw I love the name Faye.
    I love the thought of a horse farting in glee  :D