Wedding Woes

Focus on the friends who can support you in this moment. He may come around later.

Dear Prudence,

My father passed away a week ago following a long battle with cancer. I am heartbroken not just about his death, but also about how much he suffered leading up to it. While I have been taking time to process his loss and grieve, I’m also trying not to wallow in it. My friends have been a huge source of comfort, offering not only support, but also funny distractions that make me laugh and temporarily forget about my sadness.

This brings me to my friend Charlie. When I texted him that my father had died, he didn’t respond. I have always known that emotional topics make him uncomfortable and he shies away from them at all costs, so I wasn’t expecting to receive the same level of support from him as other friends, and I was okay with that. But to not send any acknowledgement at all, not even a boilerplate “I’m sorry for your loss—it must be incredibly difficult” has left me confused.

Charlie is an extremely close friend whom I previously texted with multiple times throughout each day, but now he has gone radio silent. I tried reaching out again two days ago with a link to an article on a topic that we are both interested in—still no response.

I don’t know how to proceed. I miss my friend, and I need our fun banter more than ever. Part of me thinks I should reach out and tell Charlie that we don’t have to talk about my father, I just want to talk about something, anything. But the other part of me is a little pissed, and thinks I shouldn’t have to bend over backwards to manage his feelings when I’m the one who just lost my father. Any advice on how to proceed?

— Grieving and Confused

Re: Focus on the friends who can support you in this moment. He may come around later.

• Don't overextend yourself to essentially chase this friend. Focus on the people that are there for you, and focus on yourself. Maybe one day he'll come around, but if he's already gone radio silent, there's nothing you can do to force a conversation/friendship etc. 
  • Charlie is being cruel by not even replying to LW and ghosting them (which sucks no matter what the situation). But don’t chase him down either; his reaction to your loss says far more about him than it does you or your friendship. Leave it be and if/when he reaches out give yourself time to figure out what you want you relationship to look like in the future. If at all.