Wedding Woes

"It's hard to see you holding this all in and it's making me sad for you."

Dear Prudence,

My husband’s father is dying, and his dad has been the only family member to really care about my husband. He’s taking it really hard but is holding everything inside. He only gets emotional about it if he’s been drinking and will only talk about it then.

Well, it’s looking like he’s going to pass soon. I’m not sure what my role should be. I’m here for him, but should I try to get him to talk about it more? Should I just be here if he needs me? I’m really at a loss and want to do more for him.

— How to Support a Closed Off Spouse

Re: "It's hard to see you holding this all in and it's making me sad for you."

• You should keep talking to your H and also talk to him about how having a neutral person to talk to can help.  You may also want to suggest hobbies or groups to join because it sounds like he's feeling very alone. 
  • Be there for him, be open when he wants to talk, encourage him to keep engaging with people even if he doesn’t talk about his dad. 

You can also find a grief counselor that you can talk to; it may help to understand what your husband is about to go through and find other resources to support both of you.