Wedding Woes

It's Prudie Day

...and not Wednesday!  For once I was laying in bed right after waking up and going through my Wednesday things, like doing a load of laundry before work.  I noticed the hamper looked low for Wednesday and it hit me that it's actually Thursday.  Best feeling ever and rare, I often feel like it should be a day ahead.
How's everyone?

Re: It's Prudie Day

• Good morning! So glad it's Thursday.  FIL and our friend M are coming over to watch the first round of the NFL draft tonight.  

SSDD otherwise.  Prudie soon.  
  • I started a laundry routine of doing it only on weekends - unless something happens - so it was kind of a shock that we're already at needing to do laundry last night when it feels like I just did it all?
    Idk ... it's weird. I may toss a load in tonight to get it started.

BK has insisted on going to IL's this weekend. It's MIL's last day and she officially retires so she was pro this extra.
    I may completely strip BK's bed while she's gone to was even her duvet. She had an accident the other night and I cleaned the sheets, but M said something still smells like pee. {I washed sheets and bed cover but not mattress cover} So I may just do everything else in case and let her bed air out.

M & I still aren't sure what we're doing with BK gone.
    We have some gift cards, so we'll figure it out. We are going to try and finish up stuff in the spare room. M is still trying to take apart a desk and it's causing more issues than anticipated and he hasn't had much time to dedicate to it.

My mum sprained her ankle/foot, so I'm dropping some books to her also.
  • One day closer to Friday! It's raining and gloomy here. Really wishing I was back in bed. 
    Our solar panels were supposed to begin installation today but that's now being moved because of the rain. 
  • It’s take your child to work day so it’s fun that we have kids around the office also catered lunch and snacks. 

H’s sister and family are in town as they’re looking at houses and daycares. We’re so excited they’re moving here. We did the trampolines with the kids yesterday and we’re doing the playground tonight. It’s been great and really looking forward to them being here permanently! 
  • The two people at work who have the ability to get under my skin, both hit me up before 830 am, so I am officially grumpy.  I think I need to talk to my doctor about some sort of "extra" anxiety/anti-depressant helper.  The week before my period is getting rough again.  I can up my supplement again, but at some point the diminishing returns is going to start being an issue, I can't just keep taking more pills.  But the intrusive thoughts this week are hella rough and I cannot concentrate on anything for very long.

The AG of MO was smacked around by the judicial system yesterday.  First, he tried to get the hearing moved to federal court.  The federal judge slapped him around, stating there was no federal issue at hand and jurisdiction was state (and that the AG knew that) and sent it back down.  Then, the AG said that he couldn't attend the hearing.  The state judge was not very understanding of that nonsense.  Then the AG filed for, and received, a different judge.  That judge doesn't seem to have any sort of favoritism going on for the AG either. There is officially a temporary stay on the "emergency rules" for the transfolx of the state, until Monday at 5 pm for reviewing of briefs/arguments.  The attorney from the ACLU stated that this means the judge is more than likely leaning towards the Plaintiffs.

Also, I did get a little hug in my heart.  I was reviewing the petition, and 2 of the Plaintiffs are parents of minor children.  How far have we come that parents are filing lawsuits on behalf of their queer children, to help protect them and their identities.  Especially in this state, it's an amazing change to see.

Otherwise, SSDD. Very glad that we're close to the end of the week.
  • Other parents please talk my brain off of the spiral I know is irrational but I cannot stop it.

Yesterday BK sent out 3 invites for her bday party. I'm super quick so I always respond quick and I know it was yesterday but there is a part of my brain panicking that no one will show up for BK's party and it makes me anxious and sad.
  • Other parents please talk my brain off of the spiral I know is irrational but I cannot stop it.

Yesterday BK sent out 3 invites for her bday party. I'm super quick so I always respond quick and I know it was yesterday but there is a part of my brain panicking that no one will show up for BK's party and it makes me anxious and sad.
    For f*cks sake it's been one day.

If it's not a best friend situation I'm doing calendar reconfiguration trying to get every date set not to mention a week not invitation receipt is hard. 

(To give an idea, yesterday I had my jacket on and keys in hand as DH pulled in the driveway to go get Chiquita from GS.  DH came home because Chiquito had baseball practice 20 minutes after his arrival.  I still had work to complete while I waited for Chiquita who ran late.   And once I got home, I had to talk to Chiquita who had a rough day, finish getting my work done which was accomplished in between getting dinner made and all of us fed.   I felt the need to catch up with my mom about my dad, then studied for our test with Chiquita and begged and pleaded with Chiquito to finally get a shower.   Then it was 9:15, the kids were in bed and I just wanted to sit down with a hot toddy for my gross cold).  
  • @MissKittyDanger, congrats to your MIL on her retirement!

@climbingsingle, I didn't know you all were getting solar panels.  I got some for my house about 10 years ago and love them.  I save at least $100/month on energy bills and even more than that in the summer.

@banana468, good luck on the test!

@charlotte989875, what a fun event!  I don't even have kids and would enjoy a "bring your kids to work" day, because it sounds cute and would bring levity to the office.  I sometimes joke with my H about what would happen if I brought my dog to work (not allowed at all, so it's just funny talk).  I've always said she would almost immediately abandon me to walk around the floor and collect pets from her 100+ new friends.

@VarunaTT, good luck to the plaintiffs.  Hopefully justice prevails.  I saw Kansas City, MO already declared themselves to be a safe haven if needed.

I'm taking tomorrow off so I don't have to move my car during Jazz Fest.  I requested WFH for that day, but haven't heard back yet.  Either way, it's a good outcome.  I get the whole day off, though would have to take vacation time (boo) or I'm working, but don't have to drive to work.  Which means sleeping in a bit and I gain about one hour from not having to commute.

We went to Costco yesterday to stock up on essentials, since I also don't want to move my car over the weekend.  "Essentials" including four bottles of Prosecco, lol.  There will be a lot of porch sitting while we people watch and listen to music and mimosas are perfect for that.  I will not be drinking them by myself or even over just this one weekend, lol.  But I wanted extras so I can be generous if neighbors stop by and the Costco brand is a steal at only $8/bottle.

For once, the work day seems to be moving by fast!  Yeah!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    Other parents please talk my brain off of the spiral I know is irrational but I cannot stop it.

If it's not a best friend situation I'm doing calendar reconfiguration trying to get every date set not to mention a week not invitation receipt is hard. 

(To give an idea, yesterday I had my jacket on and keys in hand as DH pulled in the driveway to go get Chiquita from GS.  DH came home because Chiquito had baseball practice 20 minutes after his arrival.  I still had work to complete while I waited for Chiquita who ran late.   And once I got home, I had to talk to Chiquita who had a rough day, finish getting my work done which was accomplished in between getting dinner made and all of us fed.   I felt the need to catch up with my mom about my dad, then studied for our test with Chiquita and begged and pleaded with Chiquito to finally get a shower.   Then it was 9:15, the kids were in bed and I just wanted to sit down with a hot toddy for my gross cold).  
    Bolded is what I've been saying to myself. M is also reminding me this factor too.

Admittedly I respond very quickly so avoid forgetting.

I feel like half the anxiety is this is the first bday party with friends so it's a solid chunk out of my control as well.
  • You really need to give people more than a day to RSVP. I'm sure people are checking their calendars and schedules. I'd never be able to respond that quickly. Do I have anything planned? Does N have anything planned? Do the kids have anything planned. There's a lot of moving parts. 
  • @MissKittyDanger Keep telling yourself that, but I get feeling anxious, even if it has only been one day.  

It's Koningsdag today, so I am excited about that.  And I am going to visit with my nephews on the weekend, so I am excited about that.  But the downside is it is making work drag like crazy.  I'm a bit unmotivated, I just want it to be tomorrow at around 5pm!  And whenever I am going on a trip I get a little stressed, even though it is only for the weekend.  I'd better not forget anything.  

• banana468 said:
    Other parents please talk my brain off of the spiral I know is irrational but I cannot stop it.

Bolded is what I've been saying to myself. M is also reminding me this factor too.

Admittedly I respond very quickly so avoid forgetting.

I feel like half the anxiety is this is the first bday party with friends so it's a solid chunk out of my control as well.

Also, I'm seriously anxious when this stuff happens and then it's not just my own anxiety but on behalf of my kiddo.  So you're doing a great job!  Just be patient.

• @banana468, thanks for the update!  I'm glad to hear they are at least being diligent about it.  And there has been a lot going on, hence why he is at this facility, and that can make it extra challenging in those first few days.  Hopefully his blood sugars are at least consistently improving while they are figuring out the right levels of insulin vs. carbs/food intake.

Yep, all food eventually turns into sugar that enters the bloodstream!  It just takes longer to happen for foods that are low in carbs, which I assume his sugar free treats are.

Continued good wishes for him!  I hope he is getting stronger every day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @STARMOON44 absolutely! We've had that issue with BK and planned a playdate for another time.
    This is first year guest list is out of my hands so it's stressful
  • Good news!

So we haven't heard OFFICIALLY but 1 parent to M at pick up that all should be good and he wants to verify with the mother {split but really good co-parents} and 2 girls ran over with BK to tell M they're so excited to be at gymnastics for BK's bday party.

I wanna cry. I'm so glad BK isn't solo.

I've been that kid going to my friend's bday and no one else showing up. Luckily it was one of my besties at the time, so we had a blast but it was just heartbreaking :(
  • @climbingsingle, @short+sassy, I'm so curious about the solar panels! Is it expensive to install them? Do you have some kind of battery storage or do you sell power back to the grid? Does that mean you still have power if there's an outage? 

It's been a long week already. MIL left last night so I finally feel like I don't have to be "on" and can just relax. Nothing much else going on. My work project has turned into a shit show and I have no idea what's about to happen. We half ass announced today that they're pushing our go-live date from this summer to Q4 and rumors are swirling that the big boss is in hot water about it. Corporate politics are a trip. My knee finally cooperated enough for me to go for a run today, so I was excited about that. 
  • @MissKittyDanger, congrats to your MIL on her retirement!

@climbingsingle, I didn't know you all were getting solar panels.  I got some for my house about 10 years ago and love them.  I save at least $100/month on energy bills and even more than that in the summer.

@banana468, good luck on the test!

@charlotte989875, what a fun event!  I don't even have kids and would enjoy a "bring your kids to work" day, because it sounds cute and would bring levity to the office.  I sometimes joke with my H about what would happen if I brought my dog to work (not allowed at all, so it's just funny talk).  I've always said she would almost immediately abandon me to walk around the floor and collect pets from her 100+ new friends.

@VarunaTT, good luck to the plaintiffs.  Hopefully justice prevails.  I saw Kansas City, MO already declared themselves to be a safe haven if needed.

I'm taking tomorrow off so I don't have to move my car during Jazz Fest.  I requested WFH for that day, but haven't heard back yet.  Either way, it's a good outcome.  I get the whole day off, though would have to take vacation time (boo) or I'm working, but don't have to drive to work.  Which means sleeping in a bit and I gain about one hour from not having to commute.

We went to Costco yesterday to stock up on essentials, since I also don't want to move my car over the weekend.  "Essentials" including four bottles of Prosecco, lol.  There will be a lot of porch sitting while we people watch and listen to music and mimosas are perfect for that.  I will not be drinking them by myself or even over just this one weekend, lol.  But I wanted extras so I can be generous if neighbors stop by and the Costco brand is a steal at only $8/bottle.

For once, the work day seems to be moving by fast!  Yeah!
    It was cute- they had trivia for them during a divisional meeting; there was a scavenger hunt (I have a rubber duck that had his picture take. A LOT for the scavenger hunt) across our two floors. They had crafts for little kids and 1:1 sessions on how to write a resume and prepare for an interview for older kids! Then there was catered lunch and ice cream sundaes for everyone. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @charlotte989875 that all sounds so nice!  Eyeroll at my lame school who said we couldn't bring our kids
    @banana468 congrats!
    @levioosa glad for your long weekend, decompression time...hope your ankles and knees begin to improve
    @MissKittyDanger I sent out my DD's party invites around a month ago and the rsvp deadline is this Sunday...about half haven't rsvp'ed.  I do tend to just rsvp right away but I've found that many people don't rsvp, or say they're coming but day of it's a different story.  Ditto @STARMOON44 's advice to pump her up about the parts of the party you 100% know are happening (cake, games, etc.), bc guests are a big if these days.
  • @climbingsingle, @short+sassy, I'm so curious about the solar panels! Is it expensive to install them? Do you have some kind of battery storage or do you sell power back to the grid? Does that mean you still have power if there's an outage? 

It's been a long week already. MIL left last night so I finally feel like I don't have to be "on" and can just relax. Nothing much else going on. My work project has turned into a shit show and I have no idea what's about to happen. We half ass announced today that they're pushing our go-live date from this summer to Q4 and rumors are swirling that the big boss is in hot water about it. Corporate politics are a trip. My knee finally cooperated enough for me to go for a run today, so I was excited about that. 
    We leased the panels instead of buying, which was more cost effective. We also had to put a new roof on so I'd have to figure out the costs of just the panels. We did opt for the extra battery (I forget what it's called) so that we'll still have power when there's an outage. 

You do have to work with the energy company for solar panels.  But, yes, you can sell excess energy back to the grid.  How it generally works is during the day, especially on a sunny day, you are producing more power than you need and those extra KwH become credits.  But, at night, you aren't producing any energy and are using KwH.

The energy bill calculates how much KwH were used and then subtracts the KwH that were generated by the solar panels.  Technically, you could generate more KwH than are used and the energy company would have to pay for those.  But, in reality, you always use more than you produce.

Most solar panels don't have battery storage because to add the batteries just about doubles the cost.  If you have batteries, you would still have power in a power outage.  But, without batteries to store energy, the panels are automatically cut off in a power outage as a safety precaution for energy employees who will be working on the lines.

As for cost, it can vary a lot because there are often government programs, but overall prices have come down a lot in the last decade.  I'm not sure what they are nowadays.  I got mine during a special federal/state tax program.  At the time, there were tax rebates for (I think) 80% of the cost with those two programs combined.  Companies in my area were doing "leases" where they owned the panels for the first 20 years and then you owned them.  You turned over the tax rebates to them and then paid them a monthly fee of $40-$50/month depending on the company.  You were tied in for 5 years but, after that, you could choose to stop paying the fee and they would take the panels back.

Oh, but wait.  This is where I got crazy lucky.  About 4 years in, there was a class action lawsuit against the company I was leasing my panels with.  It was two issues, none of which had anything to do with the quality of the panels.  I forget one of them, but the second one was they had supposedly over-exaggerated claims of how much energy people could save.  The company was already circling the drain and are out of business now.

The lawsuit settlement was the company would no longer be responsible for the panels.  And their customers owned the panels 100% and no longer had to pay the monthly fees.  Such a score!  I ended up paying less than $2K for my panels and now I own them outright.  Which also adds to the value of my house*.

*This can be a negative for solar panels.  If they are owned outright, it's a value.  If they aren't, it can be a detriment because a new owner has to take over the contract and they may not want to.  It becomes another factor in the sales negotiation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

We leased the panels instead of buying, which was more cost effective. We also had to put a new roof on so I'd have to figure out the costs of just the panels. We did opt for the extra battery (I forget what it's called) so that we'll still have power when there's an outage. 
    Oh!  That's interesting!  The batteries were crazy expensive when I got my panels.  But that was over 10 years ago.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Oh!  That's interesting!  The batteries were crazy expensive when I got my panels.  But that was over 10 years ago.
    This whole project has been going on forever. I forget what we were initially quoted. The backup battery was definitely more expensive but we figured it was well worth it.