Wedding Woes
Options

Your wife needs to get a grip, like yesterday, before this gets destructive.

Dear Prudence,

My wife saw an Instagram message in our 18-year-old daughter’s account that indicates that our daughter might be gay. It was not spelled out clearly. But certainly, I could see how my wife has interpreted it that way. Now, my wife is furious at our daughter for not coming to us about this. I told my wife this is not something she should be mad about. If our daughter is gay, she will come out to us when she’s good and ready. My wife does not see it that way. She feels hurt and betrayed. I told my wife that this is not like our daughter lied to us about drinking or drugs or something like that. It makes total sense to me that our daughter would talk to her peers about this before coming to us. My wife disagrees. Which one of us is right here?

—Daughter *Might* Be Gay

Re: Your wife needs to get a grip, like yesterday, before this gets destructive.

• Options
    I'm glad the LW is there to keep his wife from making a huge mistake and possibly causing a lot of hurt for their daughter.  Hopefully she listens to him and has some patience.  I realize the wife is hurt, but it's not about her and she needs to remember that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If the daughter is gay, the wife is the reason she's not comfortable talking to you all about it. 

It's you [wife]. You're the problem.