Wedding Woes

Wedding planning challenges

edited December 2023 in Wedding Woes
Hey everyone! I'm knee-deep in wedding planning chaos right now! Honestly, figuring out all the details has been a bit of a struggle. Am I the only one overthinking this? Anybody else feel the same way? Please share your experiences on what aspects did you find challenging or dislike when planning your wedding?

Re: Wedding planning challenges

• Welcome to the Knot. Change your user name so we can get to know you. Many of the people on this board have been married for years and have that wisdom to share. I would say that it is important to remember that the wedding is only a day but the marriage is forever. Don't try and make the perfect wedding at all cost. It is important to stay in budget, follow proper etiquette and cultural (your) rules. Hang around here, listen and ask questions. 
    ei34short+sassy
  • Congrats on your engagement!

Try not to be a perfectionist with the planning.  Things might/will probably go wrong but if they're minor it's NBD.  I had multiple Plan Bs, even if they were outlandish just because that made me feel more secure.  Like "if something happens and there is no food, I'm ordering a bunch of pizzas and that's still fine." 

You'll be marrying the love of your life with family/friends to celebrate.  It will be an amazing day.  Looking back, the details won't be that important.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    charlotte989875
  • A lot of the "details" are things you don't really need.  Start looking at them and asking yourself do you actually want those things or is someone else telling you they want them or you should just have them?  Once I started looking through that lens, I was able to dump loads of just stuff that I really didn't care about.

The main goal is at the end of the day, your marriage license is signed and mailed in.  Everything else is just for fun and celebrating that you've gotten married.  
    charlotte989875
  • Thank you for all the replies. This makes me feel a lot better about not needing everything to be perfect. 

I am wondering though, what were the main challenges you all faced when planning your weddings? And how did you get past these problems?
    MesmrEwe
  • I’m getting vendory vibes. 

CharmedPamVarunaTTMNNEBride
  • My biggest challenge was bots spamming these boards. 
    VarunaTT
  • Start with focusing on the guest experience.  Enough chairs for butts, everyone treated equally, no making your VIP/WP/Guests/Yourselves go broke/in debt, etc. and matching outfits is not worth ruining relationships over.  Remember, all you need to get married is someone to marry you, an officiant, a witness, and a license...  Which can all be done in your street clothes...  From there, everything is gravy!  The moment you invite someone they need to be hosted properly, that doesn't have to mean six course at the Ritz, the magazine photos are from high-dollar events - the most enjoyable times and relationship builders are often at the simple affordable yet beautiful ones.  Funerals are planned many times in three days and use many of the same vendors (Florist, Officiant, Venue, Caterer/Food, Government - for the wedding a licence...) - You won't go without even if something happens unexpectedly at the last minute. 

Keep it in perspective that planning your marriage deserves exponentially more time than planning for a one-day event!  Hire your vendors to delegate, not micromanage!  Your florist will appreciate a bride who gives them a working budget, idea of the details (copy of the invitation, color swatches, picture of your dress/FI's suit, pics of event styles you've liked) and list of what you need (bouquets, bouts, corsages, etc) for items within that budget than being micromanaged down to the variety of flower.  Same for your baker, keep everyone's slice of cake the same portion/quality (a cupcake is not the same as a 1x3x5 slice of filled deliciousness!).  A photocopied bi-fold piece of paper does the same inviting as a $25 invitation and all but 10 end up in the round file, keep it in perspective of what is a need vs. want.  Nickels and dimes is where the cost adds up, it's not the cost per plate, it's the service fees, delivery fees, setup fees, mandatory gratuity, etc.  Keep an eye on those!  The week before your wedding and the week of, you are not going to have time for a lot of DIY/Setup projects, this is why delegating to your vendors while maintaining your budget is so important. 
    short+sassySTARMOON44
  • levioosa said:
    I’m getting vendory vibes. 
    I was getting research project vibes.
    banana468levioosaMNNEBride