Wedding Woes

Fri-yay

Phew. What a long week. Hoping everyone has something fun or relaxing planned this weekend 

Happy birthday @levioosa!

Re: Fri-yay

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Blessedly unbusy weekend.  Pizza and a movie tonight.  Just a GS cookie booth sale tomorrow outside of 5pm mass, nothing planned for Sunday.  Looking forward to some low and slow cooking and relaxing (and the usual grading, cleaning, errands of course). 
  • Fewer plans for us but Chiquita still feels like crap (stayed home yesterday) and should be working on a pinewood derby car and science project tomorrow because Sunday she's supposed to be at a confirmation retreat from 10-3.  

I think DH and I are just feeling burnt out from the week. Work has been really chaotic for me (less for him) and I just crashed last night exhausted.   I wish we had the support system to be all 'let's get away for the weekend' but it's not something we can pull off at the current kids' ages.  

I hear interesting things about how cruising can be great for families especially if you can send the kids off to do their own thing while the grown ups get to be adults.  It's sounding really appealing right about now. 
  • CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    @banana468 I feel that so much. Hope you guys get some time soon and hope chiquita starts feeling better. @ei34 enjoy the low-key weekend!

We're doing dinner out tonight and then a family sleepover in the family room with movies and pillow/blanket forts. Zoo tomorrow whenever we're up and moving, Ninja class/breakfast out/haircuts on Sunday. Afternoons will be playing outside/movie chill time. 
  • So glad it's Friday! I desperately need some relaxation time after the week I've had.  I usually run errands on Friday afternoon, but don't have anything I need to do today and can go straight home when I get off work.  Yay!

I lowered my long-acting/basal insulin by two units yesterday morning.  But was still running low yesterday.  I was on the lower side of normal most of the day and then dropped too low in the evening.  So I've lowered it again by one more unit today.

And I've taken ZERO short-acting insulin for the last two days, which is unusual.  I'll go days here and there where I don't need short-acting insulin.  But I usually need a little and this is the first time it's been two days in a row.

It's just weird.  Short-acting insulin is adjusted all the time, but long-acting usually isn't.  With the medication I started taking last year to reduce my insulin resistance, I've cut way back on both insulins I take.  Which has been awesome!  But I've been on the same dose of that medication for the last 3 months.  I had to adjust the basal a bit in the first month. But I'm surprised I have to do it again.

Is this perimenopause also, smh?  It actually could be.  I think I'm just going to start blaming the mysteries of how my body is acting on perimenopause, lol.  You're now the scapegoat, PM.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    Fewer plans for us but Chiquita still feels like crap (stayed home yesterday) and should be working on a pinewood derby car and science project tomorrow because Sunday she's supposed to be at a confirmation retreat from 10-3.  

I think DH and I are just feeling burnt out from the week. Work has been really chaotic for me (less for him) and I just crashed last night exhausted.   I wish we had the support system to be all 'let's get away for the weekend' but it's not something we can pull off at the current kids' ages.  

I hear interesting things about how cruising can be great for families especially if you can send the kids off to do their own thing while the grown ups get to be adults.  It's sounding really appealing right about now. 
    I follow the cruises sub-reddit and this is something people rave about.  You're on a ship so the trouble kids run into is limited.  And there is all kinds of stuff for them to do and activities for various age ranges.  It's a good combo of a family vacation, but with lots of time apart from the kids if that is what people want.

Even as a non-parent, my favorite thing about cruises is no daily chores.  No cleaning.  Tons of food and beverages to choose from and you don't lift a finger to prepare any of it.

On my last cruise during one of the sea days, I was kicking back near a floor to ceiling window.  Reading a book.  And regular enough visits from a server to keep the mojitos flowing.  Absolute heaven!

BUT not everyone likes cruising.  My H doesn't.  Which puts a damper on my retirement plans of living on a cruise ship half the time, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosalevioosa member
    @short+sassy I can’t remember, were you on a GLP-1 too? I know it’s not for Type 1 Diabetics but I thought you had mentioned taking it. If you are maybe it’s affecting your insulin needs via the delayed gastric emptying. 

Thanks for the bday wishes everyone! I tried to sleep in but per the adult usual I was up early. Lol. Hike today. Thinking about doing dinner with the parents tonight. Tomorrow will be a chill day. Since we have our other trips coming up I’m not feeling so motivated to make a big event out of it. I am excited to not be at work today. Lol. 

• Happy Birthday @levioosa! So glad you don’t have to work today!!
  • So tired today. Recovering from strep is rough! J’s appointment went okay- he’s doing good on weight but still some concern with his breathing. He got a steroid that seemed to help a bit. 

The weather is getting nice so we’re planning a long slow walk in town in the sun!
  • I'm excited for a chiller weekend too. It's been so busy both at work and every weekend. Tonight is book club. Tomorrow we'll get a little park run in and I've got to clean up the yard after the last storm. Then making dinner at home and we're planning to mix up some yummy cocktails. (We're normally beer/wine people, but we've somehow ended up with a fair amount of liquor in the house that I'd like to do something with.) Sunday we're hosting my family for my mom's birthday. Yesterday was her 17th, lol. 

Happy Birthday @levioosa!!!
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited March 1
    levioosa said:
    @short+sassy I can’t remember, were you on a GLP-1 too? I know it’s not for Type 1 Diabetics but I thought you had mentioned taking it. If you are maybe it’s affecting your insulin needs via the delayed gastric emptying. 

Thanks for the bday wishes everyone! I tried to sleep in but per the adult usual I was up early. Lol. Hike today. Thinking about doing dinner with the parents tonight. Tomorrow will be a chill day. Since we have our other trips coming up I’m not feeling so motivated to make a big event out of it. I am excited to not be at work today. Lol. 
    Happy birthday!  I think just having a chill day is a good birthday, especially with other trips to look forward to.

My glowing review of how life changing GLP-1s have been for me:

AMAZING!!!!  On so many fronts.  I take tirzepatide (active ingredient in Mounjaro), but pay out of pocket for it at a compound pharmacy because I'm not paying $1K/month for the retail drug.  I've been taking it for about 8 months. 

On my second day after starting, I cut my short-acting insulin by 70% and my long-acting by 20%.  All righty then!  Apparently I have pretty severe insulin resistance.

I was completely blown away!  I expected my insulin needs to decrease, but nothing like that.  As I've gone up in doses, I've had to cut it back more.  I'm now at about a 90% reduction for short and 35% reduction for long.  But I've been on the same dose (10mg/week) for the last 3 months so I'm surprised I'm having to lower the basal again.

Before I used to take 10-15 units of short-acting with each meal.  Now, I take nothing and wait to see if my blood sugar starts to rise.  Zero is often the perfect amount.  Sometimes I have to take 4-8 units.

My A1C has also been in the low 7s for years.  It was almost a joke with my endocrinologist.  Him, "Your A1C is 7.2 (or 7.3).  You know I'd like you under 7 and you're always so close!"  And we'd laugh because I was always "close", but never under 7.

My first A1C after being on this medication for over 3 months was 6.2.  But "Mounjaro isn't an FDA approved treatment for T1 diabetes, so that's our excuse to not cover an expensive medication that is OBVIOUSLY helping you." -- my insurance.

And I've FINALLY been able to lose weight.  I still have to diet and watch what I eat and all that.  But I'd done that before for months at a time and never lost a pound.

For some other unexpected benefits.  My cholesterol has always been a bit too high.  It was normal with my last bloodwork.  My H said I totally stopped snoring after the first night.  My periods are shorter and lighter.  So many other women on Mounjaro have said the same thing, so perimenopause doesn't get the credit for that one, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Happy Birthday, @levioosa.

Still not feeling well. I canceled Italian lesson and personal training but did go for my mammogram. Just laying low for the day. Not eating much because my stomach isn't interested yet.

I have altar guild this weekend. H and I are suppose to work at a fresh food pantry but I'm probably going to back out so I don't spread my germs. H said he will do altar guild for me if I supervise - I just don't want to touch the bread and wine.