Wedding Woes
Options

Are you sure she's jealous or is it concern? Is there a mutual friend you can ask?

Dear Prudence,

I have recently found out one of my friends has been talking badly about my boyfriend behind my back. She’s been generally rude to him in all their encounters due to jealousy since he has come into the picture. But I keep giving her the benefit of the doubt because I know that she’s going through personal issues. This has been going on for months though, and finding out she is saying bad things about him to our mutual friends feels like the last straw. What do I do in this situation?

—A Discouraged Friend

Re: Are you sure she's jealous or is it concern? Is there a mutual friend you can ask?

• Options
    Talk to her. How do you know she’s jealous? You’re making some assumptions about her that might not be true. Have an actual conversation with your friend instead of filling in the blanks with your own narrative. 
  • Options
    You need to speak to her directly. I also think you need to figure out before you talk to her what exactly she is saying, and whether it's really jealousy/dislike or if it's legitimate concern. That will inform the conversation you have with her. Her telling people "I don't like the mean way he talks to LW" is very different from "His job sucks and he's not that good looking, what does she see in him anyway?"
  • Options
    Jealous seems like a leap. 

My money is on he hit on her.