Wedding Woes
Options

I don't think you can help Annie without the 'strings'.

Dear Prudence,

I was the invisible child growing up, between my sister the delinquent and my brother, who was severely brain-damaged at birth. The only one who gave me any real positive attention was my neighbor. She “hired” me to help her around the house, but in reality, she taught me music and gave me an avenue to accomplish my passions. I am not a professional musician by any means, but it is very much my joy.

“Annie” is my 12-year-old neighbor, and she reminds me so much of me as a child it hurts. She is the middle child of five, with two severely autistic older brothers and two very small younger sisters. Her parents are constantly overwhelmed, it seems, from the conversations I’ve had with them. Annie has expressed interest in taking music lessons, but they’re too expensive. I really want to offer her free lessons with me. I work early, so most of my afternoons are free.

The thing is, her parents will take a mile if you give them an inch. I offer to pick up some groceries for them, and the list is longer than my arm. I offer to take care of their dog when they go on vacation, and they assume I’m suddenly always available for babysitting. They’ve tried to borrow money from me on multiple occasions. I understand that times are tough, but I just want to help Annie like my neighbor helped me with music, not get sucked into re-creating my family dysfunction. How do I do this?

—Face the Music

Re: I don't think you can help Annie without the 'strings'.

• Options
    Some of this depends on the LW's personality.  Are they someone who has trouble saying no?  If so, then as sad as it is, they are probably better off not offering to give Annie music lessons because it will probably turn into free babysitting for some of the other kids.

Hopefully the LW can repeatedly say a resolute "no" and rinse/repeat with a smile that they are only available on X days/times and it is only for Annie's music lesson.  If they can do that, they should try.  They already know how much it meant to them as a child and it would be such a kindness for Annie.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Say “I’d like to offer Annie piano lessons Tuesdays at 3pm and let her practice on Thursdays at 4pm. Let me know if she’s interested.” If they ask for more say that the offer is only for piano lessons and decline whatever they ask. 
  • Options
    Say “I’d like to offer Annie piano lessons Tuesdays at 3pm and let her practice on Thursdays at 4pm. Let me know if she’s interested.” If they ask for more say that the offer is only for piano lessons and decline whatever they ask. 
    This.  "My offer was piano lessons."   
  • Options
    I might be the odd one out, but LW needs to stay out of it.  I'm not sure there's anyway for her not to work through her own issues with Annie, and if the family was one that would be grateful for their "low-maintanence" daughter getting one-one-one attention, it'd be different.  But LW is setting themselves up for failure because the family doesn't understand boundaries, and Annie will just end up with one more adult who failed her when LW has to end the lessons for their own health.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 22
    VarunaTT said:
    I might be the odd one out, but LW needs to stay out of it.  I'm not sure there's anyway for her not to work through her own issues with Annie, and if the family was one that would be grateful for their "low-maintanence" daughter getting one-one-one attention, it'd be different.  But LW is setting themselves up for failure because the family doesn't understand boundaries, and Annie will just end up with one more adult who failed her when LW has to end the lessons for their own health.
    Yep, this.  This LW needs to do their own inner child work.  Helping Annie will not heal them and they don't need to give any more generational trauma to this child.   Sounds like she's getting enough already. 

ALSO, (I keep editing because I think of things) does LW really know Annie is this emotionally abandoned child? Or is LW being judgey and running with one comment from a child about a wish they currently have?