Wedding Woes
Options

Tuesday

I wish I knew what was wrong with my eyeballs.  I'm having so much light sensitivity in the mornings. Downing coffee and water in equal parts trying to help them out.  I'm sure part of it is allergies, but ugh.

For those wanting to know, I had my first threading appointment since I started using Roagine on my eyebrows.  Threading lady has done my brows for 5 years at least, if not longer.  She said they are filling in and there's a lot more hair at the ends then there was previously.  I can visually tell a difference.  So yay! for that.

Otherwise, SSDD. 

Re: Tuesday

• Options
    I am heading into frantic week.  Tomorrow and Thursday are travel days and my Wednesday starts really early.  

I forgot to mention that Chiquita decided to try to trim her eyebrows Friday night with a razor and now she has a line of zero growth over one eye.  Luckily the brow movement means there's a ton of products on the market but poor kiddo now has added to her beauty routine.

I'm watching the horrifying coverage in Baltimore.   It felt like watching nightmares come to life and my heart goes out to all the people involved.  
  • Options
    @banana468 -- I mean this in the gentlest of teasing ways, b/c it's the first thing I thought of...was she trying to do her lesbian eyebrow slit?  (Yes anyone can do it, but yes, it's heavily coded into lesbian culture).

:smiley:

• Options
    I had a big and very urgent project suddenly dumped on me last week.  I was told to abandon all other work until it is done.  I finished the last package at the end of the day yesterday.  I'm not totally done because now I have to wait for engineer to complete his end.  But 90% of it is and I can't do any more with it, until he's done.

I have had other urgent stuff come in, in the meantime.  So now I am trying to play catch up.

Overall, it should be an awesome week.  Good Friday is a holiday at my work, so my half-day Friday moves to Thursday.  Except I'm taking Thursday off for my usual lab work, for a doctor's appointment I have the next Friday.  Basically a 4-day weekend.  Mondays and Wednesdays are my WFH days.  So the only day this week I need to come into the office is today!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    I am heading into frantic week.  Tomorrow and Thursday are travel days and my Wednesday starts really early.  

I forgot to mention that Chiquita decided to try to trim her eyebrows Friday night with a razor and now she has a line of zero growth over one eye.  Luckily the brow movement means there's a ton of products on the market but poor kiddo now has added to her beauty routine.

I'm watching the horrifying coverage in Baltimore.   It felt like watching nightmares come to life and my heart goes out to all the people involved.  
    Oof Chiquita we’ve all over plucked our eyebrows at some point. 

I watched the collapse and it’s terrible. I can’t imagine being on the bridge when it happened- horrible. 
  • Options
    Not much here today- did a tough run yesterday so still feeling that! Had therapy this morning and my mom is coming out this afternoon. So now, baby snuggles and books. 
  • Options
    @VarunaTT I didn't even know that was a thing!  She immediately said it was a screw up so I'm inclined to think she was honest.   
  • Options
    Awww hopefully that eyebrow can grow out quick lol
    the bridge is awful.  I saw it first thing while waking up.  It is a nightmare.  Like, it’s 2024, you’d think being able to drive over a bridge is safe but as they mentioned in the press release it was an accident.

ugh.  I have to get some cavities filled today over “lunch” and do some brush up painting in my bathroom.  Somehow fit a workout in there.  I haven’t gotten a cavity filled in years and suddenly BAM! If I remember correctly I’m back to normal in the evening right? 

• Options
    the bridge is awful.  I saw it first thing while waking up.  It is a nightmare.  Like, it’s 2024, you’d think being able to drive over a bridge is safe but as they mentioned in the press release it was an accident.
    I didn't know this had happened until @banana468 mentioned Baltimore.  I looked it up on Yahoo and read the article.

The bridge itself was fine and structurally sound, but a container ship lost control and hit it.  That's what caused the collapse.  I don't think any cars went into the river because it happened in the middle of the night.  But there were 8 construction workers who were working on potholes and they all fell in.  Two of them survived and they are still looking for the other 6. 

With that said, many US bridges are past their useful life, but it's a rock and hard place to do anything about it.  They're extremely costly to replace and the government doesn't want to spend the money.  Plus some of them are major traffic routes.  If you shut a bridge like that down for months or longer, it's going to be crippling for citizens and businesses.  I'm not saying those are the right choices.  But it's the reality of what is happening.

Pro-tip.  I strongly recommend people carry a small tool in their dash that will break auto glass.  Those devices usually also have a knife to cut a seatbelt.

The ends of a car head rest are also built to break auto glass.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The Baltimore collapse brings back so many memories of the I-35 bridge collapse in Minneapolis several years ago.  Terrifying.

I had cleaning folks in this morning so kept the cat with me in the office.  She wasn't having it for the first hour and then settled down for a nap.  It was a good day for that since I didn't have any meetings or classes this morning.  

Leaving work @ 2pm for DH's appointment with his primary.  Hoping to get some answers on some things that have come up this month.  

We are hosting Easter.  I went to Sam's for a pit/carving ham last night.  They had one left and it was so tiny it looked like a slab of bacon.  So I called Fresh Thyme from the car and asked if they had theirs in stock.  Yep - so off I went to pick one up.  Cheaper price per pound than Sam's too.  Score.  I need to make my list and make sure I have everything else I need.  The big question is if we will have 5 or 8 people so I'm waiting on a couple of RSVPs.

Had about 6" of snow on Sunday but then it warmed up and we had rain much of yesterday and last night.  Now it's snowing again.  Always happens during March Madness.  We are following Iowa women and they squeaked it out last night so it's on to the Sweet 16.  I have a distant family member who plays for Drake women, but they lost in the first round.  
  • Options
    Hellooo....

Oof, poor chiquita.  At least we live in an age of really good eyebrow pencils and video tutorials.

Related, I was a full-brow gal in HS, the age of overplucking and insane barely-there razor-thin eyebrows.  I tried to pluck my eyebrows 2-3 times and I could get, like, 2 plucks in and then had to stop because my eyes watered like crazy. 

Quiet week around here.  I'm only working through tomorrow and then taking a long weekend on the account of DefConn's bday and then him being on spring break.  Plus, we're hosting Easter for my family.  

• Options
    It's been an eventful day for me already. I woke up to an email about a hard inquiry against my credit that I didn't make. I filed a fraud claim with the bank and it looks like we caught it before they opened an account. But then I spent the next couple of hours freezing my credit and changing the passwords on everything. It's scary to know my stuff is just out there and there's nothing I can really do about it. 

The bridge is just so scary. I saw one video that shows more time before the collapse. You can see the power failures on the ship, but you can also see cars crossing the bridge seconds before it hits. Imagine being that person who crossed 30 seconds before, thinking of what might have happened if you'd hit one more red light on your way. 
  • Options
    @MyNameIsNot, I'm sorry to hear that happened!  I know how disconcerting it is.

I had a rash of stuff happen last year and still have no idea why or how it happened, which means I don't know how to keep it from happening again.  It's just way too easy nowadays for criminals to get ahold of whatever info they want.  I am really paranoid and keep my credit frozen all the time, unless I need to use it.

Someone took over my Facebook account.  That was a nightmare to get fixed.  It's like FB goes out of their way to be as unhelpful as possible.  Of all the weird things, there were multiple attempts to get into my "loyalty programs" at Burger King and Popeyes.  Those weren't successful.  But some AH in Miami was able to hack into my Wendys loyalty program and stole all my points...one single purchase of a 6-piece spicy nuggets at a time. 

My Pogo account was hacked.  It's just an online game site that you can't even buy anything off of, except their own coins for game power-ups.  Which the hacker didn't do.  Don't know why anyone bothered with that.

A couple months after all of that happened, someone used my Amazon store card to buy a $1K Apple watch that got picked up in Brooklyn.  They didn't do it through my Amazon account or I would have caught it sooner.  It was just the card.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't know this had happened until @banana468 mentioned Baltimore.  I looked it up on Yahoo and read the article.

The bridge itself was fine and structurally sound, but a container ship lost control and hit it.  That's what caused the collapse.  I don't think any cars went into the river because it happened in the middle of the night.  But there were 8 construction workers who were working on potholes and they all fell in.  Two of them survived and they are still looking for the other 6. 

With that said, many US bridges are past their useful life, but it's a rock and hard place to do anything about it.  They're extremely costly to replace and the government doesn't want to spend the money.  Plus some of them are major traffic routes.  If you shut a bridge like that down for months or longer, it's going to be crippling for citizens and businesses.  I'm not saying those are the right choices.  But it's the reality of what is happening.

Pro-tip.  I strongly recommend people carry a small tool in their dash that will break auto glass.  Those devices usually also have a knife to cut a seatbelt.

The ends of a car head rest are also built to break auto glass.
    There were cars on the bridge - maybe construction workers cars- and they went in the water. I woke up to the coverage at 5:30 this morning - terrifying.

We've had a busy weekend/few days with DD and her family, DS2 and SIL. It has been good. GSs have only met SIL once before and they have enjoyed their time with her. DS2 left yesterday morning, everyone else leaves tomorrow morning. I'm having our piano tuned in the morning. I'm looking forward to a relaxing serenade!

My hips, legs back are still hurting. A massage chair while having a pedicure yesterday really helped but it was hurting again today. It isn't as bad as it was yesterday so hopefully taking it easy the next few days will help. I really want it to be better before we go to Portugal in May.

• Options
    kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I watched the bridge collapse video, it is terrifying.  It went down like a toothpick.  Makes you think about how fragile things can be.  
    I was in office today, and now I'm done my in office days until next Friday.  My dog missed me.
    I went to a home show on the weekend and set up some quotes because I am planning out my next few years of home renos.  But they are so high pressure when they come, they want you to sign immediately.  I just want to know the price of things .... I am thinking of cancelling all the other quotes I have coming in.  But I really want to know how much a new roof will cost.