Wedding Woes
Options

Lia chose her choice. It should not impact Lois.

Dear Prudence,

I married my husband two years after his ex died. We had been dating for a while but held off getting married when the accident happened. “Lia” was 10 and ”Lois” was 5. I never wanted or thought I could replace the girls’ mother, but after being close with both my stepparents, I naively thought the girls would warm up to me. Lois did. Lia never will. We did family therapy. My husband did the parenting. We kept their maternal family close. We tried. Lia will not even be civil with me most days. Worse, she actively acts hateful toward Lois if she acts loving toward me like hugging me or asking to be adopted. She was 12 and her biggest wish for me was to be her mom. Lia shoved her sister off her chair when Lois raised the idea and called her a “traitor.” I think she would have hit her sister if my husband didn’t get between them. Lia ran away and we didn’t know where she was for days. The police were involved. Then Lia wanted to go live with either of her grandparents.

Both sides called her out on her behavior (their maternal grandmother called me a “saint” for putting up with it all). Lia turned 18 and skipped right off into the sunset. The only times we would hear from her was when she needed money. Collectively our entire family has tried from us to my in-laws to the girls’ maternal uncle. Her relationship with her sister is non-existent. Lois is blossoming into such an amazing young woman. She is turning 18 soon and she wants her present for me to officially adopt her. My husband is just “What about Lia?” I can’t care anymore. Lia is 23 now. We have been in each other’s lives for over 13 years. I am not expecting love or even liking, I don’t need or deserve this. Neither does my husband but especially Lois. How do we navigate this?

—Adopting Issues

Re: Lia chose her choice. It should not impact Lois.

• Options
    If Lois wants you to her adopt her, and you also want that, then do it. Make it special for her and for you. 

Ask your husband what he means by “what about Lia?”  What is he really asking here. You can’t adopt an adult without her consent and if you haven’t interacted in 13 years that’s clearly not something anyone should be talking about. Adopting Lois doesn’t make Lia any less of his daughter or Lois’ sister. 

• Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    This is sad but it sounds like Lia has essentially gone no-contact and it's not your responsibility any more. She's a grown adult. If Lois is stating that as her present she wants an official adoption, and if that's what you want to, then do it. Lia is completing a self-fulfilling prophecy here, but she's an adult. 

• Options
    I understand your H is crushed by Lia's behavior and decisions and is maybe holding out hope she will change.  Sadly, there has been zero indication of that happening despite attempts and interventions to try to work with her.  I wonder if he feels like LW adopting Lois would be the final nail in the imaginary coffin that Lia will come around? 

Anyway, it sounds like Lia has caused enough chaos and heartache.  H needs to let LW and Lois have this celebration of how far their relationship has come.  
  • Options
    "What about Lia? If she ever wanted me to adopt her as well, I'd gladly do so, but I'm pretty sure that's not what she wants."