Wedding Woes
Options

Rainy Prudie Day

Good morning all!

It's just raining, raining, raining all day today and most of tomorrow.  My yard is flooding.  Ugh.  

I had a work event at the office and then got my hairs did yesterday. DH's work issue is slowly moving along.  Still no firm resolution, but sounds like they're working on it.   

OJ Simpson died.  Couldn't have happened to a better person.  Rot in hell, murderer. 

Prudie coming up. 

Re: Rainy Prudie Day

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 11
    Fx it goes in his favor @mrsconn23.  Looking for a new job is never fun but your H (as well as yourself) sounds like a very smart man!
    when I heard of O.J. I group texted: Now that he’s gone…. Do you think he did it?
    I wish my podcasters (morbid) did an episode on the case because I don’t know much about it.  But I do believe money can get you off.  Especially in the 90’s”.  I was so young back then and couldn’t follow it.  I know I can do my own research but my morbid girls do a great job talking about the cases. 

My friends presented a girls weekend in NYC for December of this year last December. and I have been looking at prices the last few months.  The hotel they chose is out of my price range, so I thought I convinced them to switch. The other day they said they didn’t want to.  Here I am looking at alternative hotels near them but didn’t like the idea of separating, especially in NYC.  If I’m going to be staying in a hotel alone anyway, may as well be my favorite city. So I booked Salem Massachusetts instead.  3 nights for just a tad bit over ONE night in NYC (and they wanted to do 4 nights minimum). I’m happy with my decision.  I had Salem booked last year near Christmas time but I technically had 4 cruises to pay for (i paid for my parents portion on my Dec cruise), so I cancelled it.  This year , I’m prepaying it and by the time it comes up I hopefully won’t back down.  I’d only back down because traveling alone is so boring and I chicken out. 

• Options
    I’m going to a Women in Tech event this afternoon/evening and I am dreading finding something to wear. My maternity clothes are too big but my regular clothes are still a little tight. I don’t have time to shop today so please wish me luck! 
  • Options
    Oh boo, @charlotte989875.  I hate when I am not comfortable in my outfit at a professional event.  I hope you have a dress or something that can work in a pinch.  Good luck! 
  • Options
    I can't believe it's only Thursday. I feel like it deserves to be Friday. 

Weird dreams last night. I had a dream I got into a fight with IT about my computer because they took my old computer and replaced it with a smaller, shittier computer and they didn't tell me before so I didn't get to take any of my work off of it. The straw that broke the dream camel's back was that the main IT guy had a New Zealand accent and that just sent me over the edge. Apparently I have a lot of residual trauma from my NZ professor in college. lol. 

Otherwise, SSDD. Tried fixing my key with some superglue because a piece of the key broke off to just clip it back in. It's working at maybe 60%. I don't want to be here today and my regular staff person is out and they haven't assigned anyone to be my staff person today so my patients are all arriving and are just sitting out in the lobby waiting to be roomed. So I'm already behind for the day. You would think admin would have figured out the need to make staffing adjustments for a training they planned...but that would require too much foresight.

I'm off to go figure out who is helping me today. 

• Options
    @CharmedPam, I drop in on Morbid from time to time.  They're pretty good.  

My dad turned on the OJ trial every day after work.  I watched a lot of it, which was weird as a child.  But also, I see footage from it and don't know if I remember it from my childhood or because it's just been in the zeitgeist for so long.  

Did you watch the 10 part ESPN doc on him?  It was fascinating to hear about the trial and how the verdict actually had nothing to do with him or whether anyone believed he did it (as most people knew it was him), but racial tensions in LA were so fucked up at the time and it was basically a retaliation verdict for letting the cops off in the Rodney King beating.  
  • Options
    I remember in Buffalo listening to the verdict on the radio in class. It was a wild time. His name is still on the wall of fame in our stadium. I’m wondering if it still will be in the new one when that opens in a few years. 
  • Options
    I remember that the murders happened the week before my brother's appendix burst and he was stuck in his hospital bed watching the world's slowest car chase that preempted all decent tv he wanted to watch that Friday night. 

I think I was 14 when everything happened and then was in HS when the trial started.  Everyone I knew KNEW he was guilty and he was also a wife-beating spouse abuser so there was a major pattern of behavior showing how awful he was as a human.  If I remember correctly between the great attorneys he had and the bungling of evidence by the police he was found not guilty but no one believed he didn't murder Nicole and Ronald.
  • Options
    ei34 said:
    Boo on your friends not being more accommodating on the hotel @charm but yay for Salem 
    Ughh that’s a tough phase as far as clothing @charlotte989875, good luck!

I’m officially a tenured teacher in my district 🤗 a wonderful feeling considering they fire people for blinking the wrong way. This year in particular with my move to mostly Life Skills has been…rough…but makes it feel even better. I can’t believe I’ve been here for five years, it’s gone fast. 
    Congratulations!! That’s huge! Hope you can celebrate with the kids tonight! 

And thank you- it’s tough. I wish I had planned a little better! 
  • Options
    @ei34, my SIL has been a life skills para for years.  It tough work. Y'all are angels.  Congrats on tenure! 
  • Options
    Oh I hope you have a flowey pair of dress pants, I hear a wider leg is back in too @charlotte989875
    @ei34 yay for tenure!

Lol I remember being sick at home, in my parent’s bed, watching the car chase. I think I was really sick too.  Not “sick”.  There wasn’t much going on in Canada back then, so let’s watch some American crime!

• Options
    Still congested and tired, but i think finally making some progress on a work task that i've been picking at/putting off. G's port removal was rescheduled for next week so trying to keep my boss/team in the loop and be realistic about what i can accomplish for a week before i'm out for 1.5 weeks again. 

I know a few of you have done Disney/FL trips in recent years - is it too cold to swim in an outside pool with 3/4 year olds if we would go in early November or Jan-Feb? We wouldn't be doing beach (a week at Disney) and hoping to hit a quieter time for the parks but also be able enjoy the resort pool!
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Still congested and tired, but i think finally making some progress on a work task that i've been picking at/putting off. G's port removal was rescheduled for next week so trying to keep my boss/team in the loop and be realistic about what i can accomplish for a week before i'm out for 1.5 weeks again. 

I know a few of you have done Disney/FL trips in recent years - is it too cold to swim in an outside pool with 3/4 year olds if we would go in early November or Jan-Feb? We wouldn't be doing beach (a week at Disney) and hoping to hit a quieter time for the parks but also be able enjoy the resort pool!
    It's up to mother nature.  I think November is still likely decent but your mileage may vary in the winter months and you literally can't tell til the week you go.  
  • Options
    @Casadena, too chilly for little kids from IL?  Probably not.  Too chilly for me?  Most definitely, lol.  Seriously though, it depends.  There can be days that are warm enough, but for Jan./Feb. most days will probably be in the 50s-60s.  Early November will definitely be warmer than Jan./Feb and I'd think most days are fine for the pool.

I temporarily moved to Miami after Katrina.  I think Miami is about 90 minutes southeast of Orlando.  We left in mid-November of that year and it was still hot.  In at least the 70s everyday in November and often in the 80s.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was in college during the OJ Simpson trial.  One of my tv channels live played the courtroom every day for as long as it lasted.  I remember it being months.

It was EVERYWHERE.  Every little detail.  Not even just about the crime and the trial, but also OJ Simpson in general.  I avoided it as much as I could.

Nicole was about 15 years older than me, but I felt a little bit of a tie to her because we were from the same area.  She grew up one town over from me and was the homecoming queen of the rival high school.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was working my first "real" job during the OJ events/trial.  It was a very small office and we had a 13" TV/VCR combo that we had on the day of the verdict.  Earlier, we had been at my friend's wedding rehearsal dinner and gone to a bar afterward.  The TVs were on showing the slow chase of the white Bronco.  

I don't suppose the funeral procession will include a white Bronco?!
  • Options
    I remember the chase and the trial. It was all anyone talked about. My first two kids were very little so we didn't have the TV on all the time.

Today is my birthday. I went out to lunch with friends and I have book club tonight. My cousin is still here this evening - he is being a visiting author at some schools in the area today and tomorrow. It has been great catching up with him. Tomorrow we head to Chicago to celebrate DH's and GS3's birthdays (mostly GS3). I have his present wrapped and ready to go but still have to pack for myself.
  • Options
    I remember the chase and the trial. It was all anyone talked about. My first two kids were very little so we didn't have the TV on all the time.

Today is my birthday. I went out to lunch with friends and I have book club tonight. My cousin is still here this evening - he is being a visiting author at some schools in the area today and tomorrow. It has been great catching up with him. Tomorrow we head to Chicago to celebrate DH's and GS3's birthdays (mostly GS3). I have his present wrapped and ready to go but still have to pack for myself.
    Happy Birthday @I@ILoveBeachMusic!  I think I remember we are a similar age  :)
  • Options
    Happy birthday @ILoveBeachMusic

It's my SIL's bday today too.  I know a lot of awesome people who are born in April.  ;) 
  • Options
    Fx it goes in his favor @mrsconn23.  Looking for a new job is never fun but your H (as well as yourself) sounds like a very smart man!
    when I heard of O.J. I group texted: Now that he’s gone…. Do you think he did it?
    I wish my podcasters (morbid) did an episode on the case because I don’t know much about it.  But I do believe money can get you off.  Especially in the 90’s”.  I was so young back then and couldn’t follow it.  I know I can do my own research but my morbid girls do a great job talking about the cases. 

You're Wrong About did a series where they dug into the whole thing a few years ago. It was really good, but a bit too in depth for me. I just needed 1-2 episodes, lol. 

Happy Birthday @ILoveBeachMusic

Nothing much exciting here. I went to the office and sat on teams meetings in a different place all morning and then decided to just come home. This return to office thing is so stupid. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Happy birthday @ILoveBeachMusic

It's my SIL's bday today too.  I know a lot of awesome people who are born in April.  ;) 
    April is a GREAT month to be born!
  • Options
    happy happy birthday @ILoveBeachMusic

Agreed about April. It was my grandma’s birthday on the 19th and sister’s bday the day after.  Tomorrow would have been SIL’s 35th birthday so I’m getting up real early and driving to be with the family.  

• Options
    happy happy birthday @ILoveBeachMusic

Agreed about April. It was my grandma’s birthday on the 19th and sister’s bday the day after.  Tomorrow would have been SIL’s 35th birthday so I’m getting up real early and driving to be with the family.  
    My H's birthday and GS3's is Sunday, my grandmother's was the 17th and two of best friends are the 19th and 30th oh and our anniversary is the 16th! Busy month for us.

• Options
    Happy birthday!!! @ILoveBeachMusic

Congratulations on tenure! @ei34. That’s fantastic news! 

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Happy birthday @ILoveBeachMusic!!!