Wedding Woes
Options

George just may want to be asked instead of people assuming. So ask.

Dear Prudence,

My husband and I were lucky enough to buy a home last year. It’s a neighborhood on small lots, and most people who live there are retirees. Our next-door neighbor “George” is a sweet guy in his late 70s with whom we have a mild acquaintanceship. Last year, I watched him either struggle with his push mower or leave his grass long, such that he became the subject of Nextdoor neighborhood complaints about it. It would be easy for me to mow his lawn when I do mine, but I know he’s touchy about his independence. His church sent someone to shovel his driveway when we had a snowstorm, and he was insulted, but he needed it. Spring is coming: How do I ask if I can do this for him?

—Trying to Be a Good Neighbor

Re: George just may want to be asked instead of people assuming. So ask.

• Options
    Talk to George.  Say, "Hey now that it's spring time would you like it if we helped you with your lawn? " 

And if he says no, that's his choice. 
  • Options
    I think the best tactic is for the LW to keep it "spontaneous".  Like shortly before they mow or the day before ask, "George, I'm going to be cutting my grass at 10am on Saturday.  My lawn is so small, it's a shame to pull out the mower just for that.  Would you like me to take care of yours also?"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nextdoor is a cesspool. That's all I've got. 
  • Options
    It's a place for retirees with too much free time where I live.  
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    It's a place for retirees with too much free time where I live.  
    That's mostly what it is here, except they're the type of retirees who discovered cyberbullying late in life. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't even say retirees. Here I think it is people without much of a life.
  • Options
    I always feel like the weirdo because I usually hear complaints like this online about Nextdoor, but the Nextdoor for my neighborhood is actually great!

I rarely see petty, stupid posts on there.  Like someone not mowing their lawn.  Sometimes the posts can be heated, but it's at least about important issues.  And other than a few trolls, most people are respectful of each other's opinions.

Most of the posts are positive and helpful.  It's people talking about lost/found pets.  New restaurants or shops that have opened.  Upcoming festivals.  Free classes at the various community centers.  Food drives.

There's also posts about crimes that have happened, which are sad.  But also helpful in knowing what is on the rise and places/situations to avoid.  I'm super thankful for Nextdoor back when I had a gig job where I surveyed gas stations.  Two of the stations I'd done assignments at started having multiple car jackings every month, so I stopped requesting those locations.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe it's because you're in more of an urban area versus the suburbs? Ours are generally people panicking about someone being around who "doesn't look like they belong." I'll give you one guess why they look different.