Wedding Woes
Options

Stand firm and don't change dresses. Her loss.

Dear Prudence,

I’m in my sister-in-law’s wedding in three weeks. When she first selected her bridesmaids eight months ago, she sent all the websites for the dresses and said we could pick any dress that was a certain length, material, and color she selected. She said she’d like to know which we picked, but it wasn’t for approval, she just wanted to know. I immediately let her know two I was going to order to determine which I preferred, and would return the other. I ordered the recommended four months out. I definitely liked one more than the other, so I let my SIL know which dress I was keeping, took it to get altered for length, and returned the other within the refund time frame. Yesterday, my SIL texted me saying someone else had selected the same dress as me and she didn’t want any duplicates, so could I please swap and wear the other one I had ordered? I said, unfortunately, I wouldn’t be able to since I’d already returned it and gotten my dress altered.

She lost it. She started yelling about how she just wanted everyone to be in a different dress and since I’d picked out two, it shouldn’t be a problem for me to switch. I said if I still had both, I would switch, but that it wasn’t an option anymore. She told me I needed to reorder the other dress to wear. I told her I would be glad to if she was going to pay for the dress and the rush production and shipping fee that would now be required and be OK with it just being pinned since there wouldn’t be time to alter it. She told me if I couldn’t get the dress, I didn’t need to be involved in the wedding. I replied that I thought maybe that was for the best and that I’d just attend as a guest. She told me no, if I wasn’t up there as a bridesmaid, I didn’t need to be there at all. I know she’s being ridiculous, but do I need to just give in to keep the family peace? I can afford the dress and fees, so that’s not actually an issue.

—Just Give Her What She Wants

Re: Stand firm and don't change dresses. Her loss.

• Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Your SIL is playing games.  Do not give in to this but also I'd talk to my spouse about this assuming it's their sister.  At this point I'd stop all communication and hand the phone to my partner.  I won't be pushed around.
  • Options
    Is this your brother’s wife? Talk to him. Or is it spouses sister? Have him talk to her. Either way stop talking to her directly. 

She’s lost touch with reality here and nothing you say now is going to make things better. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    This is ridiculously unhinged.  

If I were a petty, petty person, I'd tell her I'd get the second dress and then show up in the one I'd bought and altered.  

I find the question of keeping the family 'peace' interesting.  I wonder if this is being co-signed by others.  

Seriously, keep on keepin' on LW.  You can't reason with the unreasonable. 
  • Options
    CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    mrsconn23 said:
    This is ridiculously unhinged.  

If I were a petty, petty person, I'd tell her I'd get the second dress and then show up in the one I'd bought and altered.  

I find the question of keeping the family 'peace' interesting.  I wonder if this is being co-signed by others.  

Seriously, keep on keepin' on LW.  You can't reason with the unreasonable. 
    This is 100% how I would handle it without a second thought. 
  • Options
    SIL changing her mind mid-stride does not constitute an emergency and extra expense for the LW.

This is a hill I would die on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I had the opposite situation happen at a wedding. The bride told everyone to get a dress of any length in a certain color, and then one of the BMs went and bought a dress in a completely different color. And here's the kicker...that dress CAME in the color the bride had requested. Her excuse was "this color looked better on me." So then we all had to go buy dresses in the same color, which was a hard color to match because there can be so many variations, a color which was not flattering to most members of the wedding party, and the bride ended up changing her ENTIRE COLOR SCHEME to the wedding because of this issue. The color of the dress was mustard yellow, btw. 

• Options
    I had something similar in a yellow wedding, Levioosa! But the bride wasn't an asshole, so we ended up with 4 bridesmaids in buttercup yellow and 2 in some other shade that was noticeably different, but not different enough that it looked intentional. 

But that was the same wedding where the MOB wore a white dress with a black thong, so I don't think anyone was paying attention to us anyway. 
  • Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I had something similar in a yellow wedding, Levioosa! But the bride wasn't an asshole, so we ended up with 4 bridesmaids in buttercup yellow and 2 in some other shade that was noticeably different, but not different enough that it looked intentional. 

But that was the same wedding where the MOB wore a white dress with a black thong, so I don't think anyone was paying attention to us anyway. Y

SITB: Yellow for dresses is absolute hell. It's such a hard color to match well. And loling at MOB. Was it intentional? It had to be intentional, right?

• Options
    It was intentional. She's a complete train wreck. This was one of her milder stunts.