Wedding Woes
Options

Hang out with S one on one only.

Dear Prudence,

My best friend, “S,” is engaged to another friend, “E.” S and E have been together for about two and a half years, and are planning to get married in October 2025. I am generally friends with both, but was friends with S first, and am much closer to S. Since the beginning of their relationship, S and E have had communication issues and have had really high highs and low lows. They are in couples counseling. I don’t think they should get married. I’ve been against it the whole time they’ve been engaged. They both have disabilities that clash, and often make it difficult to live together (for example, E needs a clean space but S can’t maintain spaces, S is over-stimulated by loud noises and E mostly makes loud noises to show affection), and have very different communication styles. I know I can’t tell them to break up. But being around them, together or separately, recently has been driving me bananas, and I become unpleasant and unkind. How do I separate myself, while also still supporting my best friend? I care about both of them a lot and want them to be happy, but I also want to be happy.

—Friend in the Middle

Re: Hang out with S one on one only.

• Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Hang out with them separately and provide an ear.  But if they're not asking for your advice, do not give it. 
  • Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    If even hanging out with them separately is a problem, scale back on the friendship. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Hang out with them separately and provide an ear.  But if they're not asking for your advice, do not give it. 
    Exactly. Be a sympathetic listener but don't take sides or tell them they shouldn't get married. That's something they need to figure out for themselves.
  • Options
    LW says even hanging out with them separately is a struggle, so I don't think that's the right answer. 

You're allowed to take some breathing room from a friendship when the friend is so difficult to be around that it's making you miserable. If it's that kind of a relationship, you could only hang out with the BFF and talk to them about the behavior that is causing the problems, but neither S nor E seem like the kind of people who would take that well. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    This letter annoys me so much and I can't put my finger on why.  I think it's because LW mentions S+E have 'disabilities' and 'needs' and then describes...preferences?  You can show affection by NOT making loud noises and unless you're physically incapacitated, you CAN find ways, devices, therapy, etc. to maintain spaces.  So they both do shit to purposefully piss each other off and then complain to LW?  LW needs to tell them to STFU about their relationship if they're not going to fix anything.  
  • Options
    I'm trying to figure out what loud noises and affection have to do with each other.  At least outside of the bedroom, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    And how someone can ONLY show affection through loud noises. what?