Wedding Woes
Options

You can't do anything about it.

Dear Prudence,

Four years ago, I struck up a close friendship with a neighbor just a few doors down. Our connection was instant: Our kids are the same age and adore each other as much as she and I do. But there’s a catch—she and her husband are pretty strict about his kids being supervised by only her. Even though we’re incredibly close and although I trust her with my kids, they won’t bend their rules, not even for me. I’ve offered to help out by watching her kids for a bit so she can catch a break, but she always insists she needs to be there. It’s a bit disheartening and honestly, it stings a little. I know that their hyper-vigilance is driven by fear of something happening to their kids, but honestly, you need to be able to trust at least some people in this world. Why refuse people who are trying to become your “village” in favor of isolation?

—Curiously Conflicted

Re: You can't do anything about it.

• Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Why are you making this a problem. Yeah it’s a bit weird but there are all kinds of reasons for it and none of them are about you. 
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    You have more free time.  Let it go. 
  • Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Why are you making this a thing? This is a wayyy better problem to have than "Dear Prudie, I recently became really close with my neighbor. Our kids are the same age, we hit it off really well, etc. My kids would go over to her place, and her kids would come over to my place. But now she counts on me for any large and small childcare needs and it's getting to be too much. Her kids are always over, and she has to duck out constantly for various things, leaving me with a busy, over full, over stimulated house, and I end up feeding the kids too which is becoming very expensive over time. How do I tell neighbor that our friendship doesn't mean endless childcare? I'm just one person, I can't be the whole village!" 

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My sister is a helicopter mom and even she lets my nieces go out and play with other kids! But wait, how old are fhey? More information is needed..: