Wedding Woes
Options

Divorce and move home.

Dear Prudence,

My husband Joe and I have been having problems in our marriage for a while, even though we’ve only been married for a few years. It came to a head when my Dad died and he wouldn’t come with me to the funeral… because his friend had a gig at a comedy festival that weekend. So I buried my Dad, got drunk in the family home alone (my mom and brother died in a car accident a few years ago so it’s just me left), and when one of the neighbors I grew up with came around to give his condolences … I cheated on Joe. I felt really bad about it once I sobered up, as it’s not something I’d ever expect of myself. I went home early, told Joe, and it’s been a lot ever since.

He wants to forgive me, but he gets angry and mistrustful a lot. There’s a lot of fighting. He doesn’t think he has anything to work on other than forgiving me. Any attempt to point out anything he has done that wasn’t great for our relationship is seen as an excuse. Maybe it is. We recently started therapy and our therapist said there would be a lot of anger, distrust, reassurances, and hard work for years to come. Is it really awful that I don’t want that? Maybe if we’d been great before, I could see it being worth it, but spending years grating myself raw against Joe’s anger just to climb back to the not that great relationship we had before seems masochistic. Worse, at least masochists get off.

I’m not enjoying this. I want to go home and move into my Dad’s old house instead of selling it. My job’s remote, so it wouldn’t be a problem. It just seems like Joe should get to be the one to dump me. Not the other way around. (And for the record, I’ve no desire to get back together with the guy I cheated with. I was not incapacitated, but I was pretty drunk and very sad and it seems gross for someone to leverage that into sex.)

—Isn’t It His Turn to Make the Call?

Re: Divorce and move home.

• Options
    Leave now. You don’t want to be married to Joe anymore so stop caring about who makes the call. He’s probably not going to leave you until you’ve sufficiently groveled and even then he’s going to be an ass the entire time. 

Him skipping the funeral was enough to leave him, so do it. 
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Leave now and sell Dad's house when you can.  Then find a new place that has none of the baggage and all of the fresh start you need. 
  • Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Honestly? That marriage was already over. End it, LW. In no world would I ever consider skipping my spouse's parent's funeral, let alone for a buddy's comedy gig. 

• Options
    Joe told you everything you had to know when he chose his friend's comedy show over your dad's funeral. I'm not going to excuse your cheating, but I understand how it happened given how lonely and unvalued you were probably feeling in that moment. 

Don't worry about who "gets to" dump who here. You're clearly miserable, and I agree with PP's that your one indiscretion doesn't mean you should be stuck indefinitely with a man who clearly has no regard for you or your needs. There isn't anything worth trying to save here, so just get out and move on as best you can.
  • Options
    That neighbor is complete scum and I'm glad the LW realizes it now.

Her H not going with her to her father's funeral should already be a dealbreaker.  There can be valid reasons a spouse can't go, but a comedy festival is not one of them.

It sounds like she's been miserable in her marriage for a long time.  It's not going to get better because the H isn't even acknowledging that he has done something wrong.  Even the therapist put it grimly when they said "hard work for years to come".

Don't put in hard work for something you don't even want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker