Wedding Woes
Options

Wednesday

I think I caught G's cold that he was fighting last week. I'm so stuffy and coughing a bit. Lots of meds to tamp everything down because.....

Re: Wednesday

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    Boo to the cold, YAY YAY YAY for G!, and I'm so sorry about your grandma.  She sounds like an incredible woman.  ((hugs)) 

DH came home last night, but it all felt rushed and whatnot because the kiddo and BIL were here (BIL and DH are traveling together).  We got a couple of moments, but the vibe was definitely off.  He was up at 4a again to head out.  

The kiddo's still on the outs with the gf.  *sigh*  I had a moment about all that yesterday because the drama is dampening any excitement we could try to muster over becoming grandparents.  It's making me sad, especially for DH because he's really trying to keep his emotions together about it all, but he's so frustrated and disappointed.

I'm just...over this week.  Work stuff is helping nothing.  I'm just annoyed by the smallest shit right now.  

The upshot is my stomach feels mostly better.  I think the kiddo is going to come for dinner again tonight and help me rearrange the guest room for when BIL/SIL move in next weekend.  They did put in an offer on a house yesterday.  Fingers crossed!!  

It's rainy and gross again today.  Definitely not helping the mood.  Blerghhhhh. 
  • Options
    MNNEBrideMNNEBride member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    @Casadena - what a roller coaster for you!  So exciting that G gets to ring the bell - it's a great milestone.  I'm sorry your grandma is not doing well.  It's hard to say goodbye even after a life well-lived.

@mrsconn23 - Sorry about the ongoing drama with the kiddo and his gf.  Hopefully, they can get it together and co-parent even if they don't end up together.  Fingers crossed for your BIL & SIL's offer.

DH seems to be in a slump this week.  He's sick of being in the house but doesn't want to get out.  I mentioned something about Costco and he thought we should get a membership.  That's not out of the question, but we are members at Sam's and my Mom has a Costco so we could go with her anytime.  His reasoning was that with a membership, he could take his scooter over there and look around.  Firstly, he'd need to cross a 4 lane road where the speed limit is 45 mph and no crosswalks.  Secondly, he doesn't even take his scooter around our immediate neighborhood, let alone take it 1.5 miles away.  Finally, what are you going to buy at Costco that will fit in the tiny basket on his scooter.  He got angry when I tried to explain why it wasn't a great idea.  Just an example of how his reasoning is impacted by this horrible disease.  He seems better this morning but we'll see as the day goes on.

My manager is encouraging me to publish and present at some national conferences.  This could lead to an academic appointment.  So I'm looking for opportunities.  Some of my current projects may lend themselves toward that goal.

Otherwise, great weather her this week.  Sunny and low 70's.  We were getting smoke from Canadian wildfires but that has cleared out now.  Hoping it will be nice this weekend as DH and I will put flowers out on several graves for his side and mine.  We'll be visiting friends in WI over Memorial Day weekend so need to get the flowers out before we go.
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 15
    So excited for G AND your family @Casadena.  Hate that it’s coming around the same time as Grandma though.
    @mrsconn23, hopefully H has a speedy trip and is home soon
    sliding over a bottle of Motrin over to your H @levioosa

on Monday I found out our healthcare plan offers a really cool pass.  It’s as low as $29/month but high as $144/month.  Of course the good gym/centers are elite at $144.  Orange theory, personal training, barre class, yoga, stretchlab… but also a luxury gym that normally costs $249/month!  If I use this pass, it’s worth it. It’s not like any other gym membership ship I ever used because there’s no contract along with multiple options to choose from.  If I cancel with my healthcare group, everything is null and void. I won’t sign up till the 1st because a lot of requirements are “___ sessions a calendar month” and I’m extremely busy till the 28th anyway.  The personal training one (and orange theory) really is getting to me because if I use the 4 x a month it’s only $36 a session!  However, classes are only 20 minutes long.  Either way, I’ve never seen PT that cheap before and I get added benefits of other amazing gyms.  Does anyone else PT and for how much and how long is the session?

• Options
    ei34 said:

DDs birthday was nice enough. ExH sucks and is a miserable person but the worst of it was over DDs/the kids’ heads / via text to me. 
    At least he knows to do it that way? <reaching for something >

• Options
    ei34 said:

DDs birthday was nice enough. ExH sucks and is a miserable person but the worst of it was over DDs/the kids’ heads / via text to me. 
    At least he knows to do it that way? <reaching for something >
    LOL, right?  My friend's ex-H did that shit to her and if she did react, she was the 'psycho'.  Ugh.   Why are men? 
  • Options
    @Casadena YAAASSSSS G!!!!!

We got vehicle! It's so weird! Mostly because it's quiet. Idk if you all know about Cali laws about e.v being so quiet they had to add something in, but ours falls into that and sings lol

Did I mention BK is in judo? She's doing really well. She's got 2 stripes on her belt and likely she'll "belt up" in a few months.

We're so beyond busy the next few weeks that I told M, any chance for down time we take it.
    This weekend BK has a party on Saturday, and since it's only an hour and half, we're just going to the ikea nearby to start talking about kitchen stuff and get that moving.
    We measured all the things, but we may pay for them to come measure for what they specifically need.
    We aren't fancy people, but some things we are specific on and that could up pricing. Ideally I'd like a shelved drawer beside stove for cutting boards and spices.
    M wants quartz counter top, but I told him I wanna ask them questions before we decide on it.
  • Options
    I might be the only person who is unhappy it’s 70+ degrees and sunny. It’s just too hot. We also don’t have AC so it’s hard regulating the temp inside. 

Went to the office for the morning and that was enough for me for a while. I had a long chat with my boss. He doesn’t have a plan for me so I’m coming up with my own? It’s not great. 
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I wouldn't mind 70 degrees again.  That said, Chiquito has baseball games from 5:30 to 7:30 and when we hit only mid 70s during the day I still need to wrap myself in an outdoor blanket to make it through these little league games.  They are COLD!  It's rained all day today and I'm hoping they cancel tonight.  I do not want to work the concession stand in the grossness.

• Options
    Yay G!!!! 
  • Options
    Have the BEST adventure @MyNameIsNot.  Please share a few pics when you get back!!  :) 
  • Options
    @Casadena, yay G!  I'm sorry to hear things are going poorly for your grandmother.  My grandmother is about the same age.  

@mrsconn23, I'm sorry your H has had such a hectic travel schedule this week with everything else your family has going on.

@MNNEBride, Good luck with your work opportunities!  I'm sorry your H has been more upset lately.  I know it's hard on you also to watch him struggle mentally and physically.

@CharmedPam, that pass sounds awesome!  I wish my healthcare came with something like that.  But my work's only choice is a high deductible plan that doesn't even have normal bells and whistles.

@charlotte989875, I hope you can work out a better work/life schedule at your job.  I'm sorry you've been struggling so much.

Yesterday and today have been extra annoying work days.  Especially when I'm already struggling in my personal life with a lot of things.  People have been uncharacteristically bugging me on the phone and wanting impromptu meetings.

But I am looking forward to a telehealth appointment I have today.  My insurance won't cover the game-changing medication (Mounjaro) I started taking last year, because I'm a T1 diabetic instead of T2.  Never mind that I have as much if not more insulin resistance as a T2 person has.  So I've been buying the active ingredient (peptide called tirzepatide) for a lot cheaper from places like a compound pharmacy.  Cheaper, but still not cheap.

I recently found a new one that only charges $285/month for the max. dose...I'm currently paying $420/month...and my appointment today is with one of their doctors.  I've read rave reviews about him.  That it's not just a rubber-stamp appointment to get a prescription for tirzepatide.  Which already would have been exciting because I'll be saving $145/month, lol.  But he listens, is empathetic, and talks to you about all your health goals.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ei34 said:
    Thumbs down at your boss @charlotte989875 and while I’m at it why can’t he at least let you work from home a few days a week?? And we’ve been in the 50s for days now and I’m thankful for it. Absolutely zero rush for 70s and needing AC. Can’t really see leaving my immediate area (though who knows?)  but I wouldn’t mind relocating to a place with a temperature range of, say, 40-70 F (with a few dips below 30 for snowfalls around Christmas).

thanks @mrsconn23 and @CharmedPam he’s such a loser 
    That actually sounds a bit like Cincinnati, lol.  Though it does get hotter than that in the summer months.  July is the hottest month with highs averaging 84.6, but the average low is 66.

Though my favorite is the low-mid 70s.  I don't need an ac for that.

Costco sells portable ac units on wheels for $400.  We use them in our rentals that have window units instead of HVAC.  But if a room only has one egress (interior door), you don't want to block the only window with a bulky ac unit.  The portable ones have to vent out a window also, but the vent is portable too.  It only takes a few minutes to put one in and a few seconds to take it out.  And they are BEASTS!  They'll easily keep a room cold.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited May 15
    I'm frazzled but good. We leave for our trip tonight and I'm 90% ready. I'm just trying to wrap a few things up at work and then get going. H is stressing me out. He waited until today to start packing and now keeps interrupting me to ask questions. 

@CharmedPam - I do orange theory once/week now and really like it. If you're interested, check out the class packages. I think I paid about $450 for a 30 class pack when they were running a special, so breaks down to about $15/class. It might be more cost effective if you're trying to just mix something in versus being your main thing. 
    It’s really not Orange Theory.  That would be the cherry.  It’s the PT.  I googled and the average session is $65-70/hr for a trainer.  Even if I cut that in half (I don’t want to work out for a whole hour lol) and use someone for $35 for a half hour, it’s around the same price, just cutting off 10 minutes… so the other gym offers are bonuses.
    My coworker already signed up and went to the luxe gym.  She’s transferring to another office out of this state soon, we don’t know when - but she’d be fun to go with and she talks to EVERYone. I wouldn’t mind meeting someone who invested $250/month on health.  I can’t do it on my own.  I’m not that social! She has to find me my life partner before she leaves lol

Good luck @short+sassy, I’m not too familiar with the logistics but my friend is on 15 mg of mounjaro, undiabetic and she says she has a “copay” of $500/month for it.  Which really, isn’t too far off from your $420.  I’m assuming that’s her health insurance OOP… but maybe she’s using the word copay in general, and it has nothing to do with insurance? You do have to watch those GLP1 adverts. My friend was like “weight watchers has them for such and such a month! I’m thinking of doing it” but I told her to look into that because that price was just for the WW program.  All they do is give you a script for it and you STILL have to work with your insurance if you want it with insurance.  She’s like… “oh”.  After really looking into it.  I mean your doctor can give you a script. It’s insurance you have to fight. 
    I think in the next two years (maybe as soon as 2025 but I doubt it) some new version comes out that’s in trial right now, supposedly better than tirzepitide.  Good.  Make more of the stuff in different formats to give more people options, I just want access to my mounjaro because I know it’s working for me. I keep runnning into the shortages and it’s frustrating knowing I may be out for some weeks. 
    Edit words

• Options
    @Casadena, yay for G and the rest of you! I'm so very sorry about your Grandma. It is hard even if she has lived a long and full life.

@mrsconn23 sorry things are so crazy right now. Hope it gets better soon. Hopefully the kiddo and GF can figure things out even if they don't stay together.

Have a fun trip @MyNameIsNot.

Not much going on today. Just last bit of laundry and my final chiropractor appointment before the trip. I am so glad I went a few weeks ago. It has made such a difference. I have an appointment scheduled for when we get back so any regression can be dealt with immediately.
  • Options

Good luck @short+sassy, I’m not too familiar with the logistics but my friend is on 15 mg of mounjaro, undiabetic and she says she has a “copay” of $500/month for it.  Which really, isn’t too far off from your $420.  I’m assuming that’s her health insurance OOP… but maybe she’s using the word copay in general, and it has nothing to do with insurance? You do have to watch those GLP1 adverts. My friend was like “weight watchers has them for such and such a month! I’m thinking of doing it” but I told her to look into that because that price was just for the WW program.  All they do is give you a script for it and you STILL have to work with your insurance if you want it with insurance.  She’s like… “oh”.  After really looking into it.  I mean your doctor can give you a script. It’s insurance you have to fight. 
    I think in the next two years (maybe as soon as 2025 but I doubt it) some new version comes out that’s in trial right now, supposedly better than tirzepitide.  Good.  Make more of the stuff in different formats to give more people options, I just want access to my mounjaro because I know it’s working for me. I keep runnning into the shortages and it’s frustrating knowing I may be out for some weeks. 
    Edit words
    Good advice all around.  But this place is very upfront with their pricing.  It's definitely $285/month for the medication.  There is also an annual $99 fee for the doctor's visit.

Most of these websites that source from compound pharmacies don't take insurance anyway.

Yes!  Retatrutide is supposed to be even more effective than tirzepatide (Mounjaro) and semaglutide (Ozempic) for weight loss.  It's a GLP-1 medication also, but has three agonists.  Mounjaro only has two and Ozempic only has one.  Though the weight loss % they are seeing in the clinical trials isn't that far off from Mounjaro.  But the hope is MJ will be cheaper when Reta enters the scene.  I think they are in the last clinical trial.  They human trials have been going well and it's estimated it will be available toward the end of 2025.

Liraglutide was one of the first GLP-1 medications available, though it's less effective for weight loss than MJ and Ozempic.  It's also never been approved for weight loss like the two others.  I think the brand name for liraglutide is Saxenda.

But it's an old enough drug that the patent for it runs out this June.  I've read they expect generics to be available about a year later.

I'm sorry you've been affected by the shortages.  They've been really bad from what I've heard, though that doesn't affect the compound market.  Because here's the RIDICULOUS thing about the shortages.  It's not the medication that has a shortage.  It's the stupid-ass injector pens the retail medications use that have a shortage.

If they would just put the medication in vials...and they do for other countries...there wouldn't be a shortage.  I've heard they are trying to do that for the US also.  But because the clinical trials were done with their "special" little pens, it's a process to get the FDA to also approve the medication in a vial form.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    @levioosaI would throw a molotov cocktail through the windows of the executive suites at United Healthcare if I wouldn't get arrested.

Between the cost of drugs, the run around at Insurance companies and the games to play I'm frightened at having to peel the layers off the onion for the logistical issues my daughter is in store for in her life.  

(Now 4 months working on an invoice from the hospital for nearly $9K because UHC denied the claim for shits and giggles.  And evidently "expedited processing" still takes over a month.  )
  • Options
    I don’t take any ADHD meds myself, but I heard that community is having the same problems with supply and demand.  Apparently a lot of people were getting diagnosed post pandemic and its problematic for kids who’ve been taking it all this time.  And that’s just one example of a shortage, there’s a lot of medicine that’s hard to find :( 

• Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    @CharmedPam H hasn't had any problems with his Vyvanse but I also wonder if it's because 1-he has Kaiser, and 2-he doesn't take it regularly every day so he's been able to stretch out his prescriptions and miss the shortages. I know my friend's kid who takes it was majorly struggling to find anyone in the area who could dispense it. 

• Options
    @levioosa, It is also insane to me that most insurance companies won't cover medications for weight loss.

The medical industry: "Excess weight puts you at higher risk for heart disease/T2 diabetes/many cancers/(insert many more)."

Most insurance companies: "We don't cover weight loss medications for any reason."

I realize lifestyle is a factor when it comes to weight and for some people it's a major one.  But it's just not as simple as that for a lot of us.  About 10 years ago, I spent over a year eating no more than 1400 calories/day and was exercising regularly.  I was over 100 lbs overweight.  That was supposedly 800-900 calories/day below my base metabolic rate (BMR).  I didn't lose even one lb. and just gave up after that.

What I didn't know then that I do now is I have pretty severe insulin resistance, which makes it easy to gain/hard to lose weight.  On top of that, I can tell from those TDEE calculators that I have a much slower than average BMR.  Something else I've been cursed with.  Which is compounded by the fact that I'm only 5'0", so my daily calorie allotment is already on the low side compared to most people.

Then I started taking tirzepatide last year and on that same lower calorie diet.  The calories were the same, but I also focused more on protein and cut out most carbs...though not exercising nearly as much as I previously did... and my weight started flying off.  

Or at least it did for the first 5 months.  But as people weigh less, their BMR goes down also and all of a sudden my weight loss speed was cut in half and not nearly as consistent.  I sometimes go 2-3 weeks and don't lose anything.  Sometimes I even gain weight for no reason.  I cut my calories more, to only 1200/day.  Then with my doctor's okay last month, I've cut it even more to 1000-1100 calories/day.  But that hasn't sped it up either.  It's frustrating to put in all this work and not see much.

I've lost 80 lbs over the last 11 months, so that's the good news!  In the long run, I'm still losing.  But I still have 50 lbs to go to get to the high end of a normal weight for my age/height.  I think there is a good chance the day will come when I just stop losing weight again, no matter what I do.

I hear you on the cost!  It would be nice if I ever got to my goal weight, because then I could cut back to a maintenance tirzepatide dose and it would be cheaper.  Even on the starter 2.5mg/week dose, my blood sugars instantly became easier to control and I cut my insulin by a lot.

I want to punch people in the face who think the only explanation for being overweight is because someone eats too much.  Or that people who take Ozempic/Mounjaro are "cheating".  I'd love for them to try eating 1,400 calories/day, lose no weight, and then tell me how easy it is.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wtg @short+sassy!
    speaking of weight loss, and I know plans are chosen by your company, but I hate how some companies approve bariatric surgery and some don’t.  My former company and current one does not approve bariatric surgery (that I know of, I haven’t inquired recently).  My exH’s did. That was life changing for me too. And I don’t know how many people have that $ out of pocket either.  The average person doesn’t. It’s probably upwards of $100,000.  And a good doctor doesn’t just give it to you willy nilly either.  You have to go through SO much testing and pre diets. Dr. Now on 600 lb life doesn’t even perform the surgery unless he knows your ready for it. 
    *off my soapbox*

• Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    Wtg @short+sassy!
    speaking of weight loss, and I know plans are chosen by your company, but I hate how some companies approve bariatric surgery and some don’t.  My former company and current one does not approve bariatric surgery (that I know of, I haven’t inquired recently).  My exH’s did. That was life changing for me too. And I don’t know how many people have that $ out of pocket either.  The average person doesn’t. It’s probably upwards of $100,000.  And a good doctor doesn’t just give it to you willy nilly either.  You have to go through SO much testing and pre diets. Dr. Now on 600 lb life doesn’t even perform the surgery unless he knows your ready for it. 
    *off my soapbox*
    Also on that note it's insane that insurance companies will cover the surgery but NOT the meds which, so far, appear to have much less risk and don't require lifelong monitoring of vitamin deficiencies, potential dumping syndrome and so much more. I'm really excited to see the research expand for the new GLPs on inflammation and autoimmune disease, addiction, and other metabolic processes (i.e. we're seeing reductions in cholesterol and fatty liver beyond what is just "restricted eating"). Are the meds perfect? Of course not. Are there risks there too? Of course, there's risk with everything, and they're not for everyone. But man have these meds been a life changer for so many people in a way we haven't seen for a medication in decades. 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    Wtg @short+sassy!
    *off my soapbox*
    Also on that note it's insane that insurance companies will cover the surgery but NOT the meds which, so far, appear to have much less risk and don't require lifelong monitoring of vitamin deficiencies, potential dumping syndrome and so much more. I'm really excited to see the research expand for the new GLPs on inflammation and autoimmune disease, addiction, and other metabolic processes (i.e. we're seeing reductions in cholesterol and fatty liver beyond what is just "restricted eating"). Are the meds perfect? Of course not. Are there risks there too? Of course, there's risk with everything, and they're not for everyone. But man have these meds been a life changer for so many people in a way we haven't seen for a medication in decades. 
    I've heard they are also starting to investigate GLP-1 drugs in treating addictions.  There are some small human clinical trials going on, though at research facilities and not through big pharma yet.

I've read some people's experiences in forums.  They talk about being an alcoholic and started taking Mounjaro for weight loss or diabetes.  And were shocked when all of a sudden, they stopped craving alcohol.  Some of them described it like a switch that just turned off.

Thankfully not a problem I have.  But so many people do and it would be incredible to finally find a medication that helps them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker