Wedding Woes
Options

You sound obnoxious, LW.

Dear Prudence,

My late husband and I never had children, so I was very close to my brother’s four children—or I attempted to be. All of them are adults in their thirties now, but only “Anna,” from his first marriage, ever reciprocates my attempts. I call, text, and try to keep up with them on social media, but the children of my brother’s second marriage never respond. My brother claims they are just “busy.” They are happy enough to accept money for their birthdays and holidays, but just never enough to text thank you.

Recently, I sent my pregnant niece items that my grandmother made for me when my mother was pregnant. The only response was UPS said it was delivered. Her brother posted that he was staying in my city for a vacation and I invited him out for dinner. No response again. I am tired of it. I have already rewritten my will that if there is anything left, it goes to Anna. My dilemma is how and if I should tell my brother. I do regularly see him and his new partner. It will upset him and he is my only living sibling left. What should I tell him?’

—Rewrite the Will

Re: You sound obnoxious, LW.

• Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    This is the death equivalent of "I'm having a party and you're not invited." 
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    banana468 said:
    This is the death equivalent of "I'm having a party and you're not invited." 
    Right, but he'll be dead or close to it...so it's also, "I'm gonna make your kids fight after I'm dead because I'm petty asshole."
  • Options
    Leave your money to whoever you want but don’t make a big deal out of it. These are your children so they aren’t entitled to anything, and therefore no estate that they have any right to contest. 
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Eh, i disagree. Leave your money or whatever to the nibling you have a relationship with. You don't need to tell your brother or his kids anything. 
    Leave the $ but don't dangle it!  The way LW is phrasing it she essentially wants to tell people that she wants her final message to be one last middle finger.
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    That's why i think she shouldn't tell anyone. Just feel how you feel (and no return contact is pretty justified in my opinion, it's not hard to text a thank you or respond to an invitation even if you turn it down). Idk, i don't think it's petty or manipulative to not leave money/etc to someone who clearly doesn't value a relationship with you. 

That said, my answer would change if this has all been talked about before and the estate was planned to be split equally and now she's acting petty. But I didn't read that tone in her letter. I read an aunt who's trying to have a relationship, only 1/4 "kids" is interested in that, so she's deciding to leave things to the person she actually knows. 
    Yeah I read it as a question of 'what do I tell my brother when I tend to make his kids pissed?' and it makes me wonder if her intent is to let it out to stir up drama.  I hope not. 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Yeah if LW wants everyone to know about it, she’s only hurting the one niece who has a relationship with. 
  • Options
    ei34 said:
    Yeah if LW wants everyone to know about it, she’s only hurting the one niece who has a relationship with. 
    It's a good point - it's only going to make them kill the messenger.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    ei34 said:
    It's a good point - it's only going to make them kill the messenger.
    Unfortunately, even if LW doesn't tell everyone before she passes, there will probably hurt feelings when the one niece gets everything. However, I agree if she is the only niece/nephew she has a relationship with (and has tried apparently with the others) why should they get anything. 
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 21
    The only person who needs to know anything ahead of time is the person who will be the executor of the Will...  It's no one else's business.  

ETA:  LW - STOP putting money in the cards! 
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I don't think there's any reason to tell any of the people you're leaving out anything in advance. If you really need to explain why, put it in your will itself.