Wedding Woes
Options

Warm comments and occasional texts =/= IRL connection

Dear Prudence,

My uncle recently announced he was divorcing his wife “Sansa” of 15 years. Sansa and I always had a very warm relationship. We did not live near each other, but she always left the most uplifting comments on my Facebook/Instagram, and we texted sporadically. I’m in my early 20s and she’s about 20 years older than me, if that matters. After the announcement, I saw that Sansa had unfriended me, and the rest of my family on all social media. I, obviously, do not know all the details about their separation, and I understand if she needs a clean break from my family. But she was a wonderful person, and I would love to keep her in my life. Any advice on how to reach out, or should I just leave her alone?

—Breakups Suck

Re: Warm comments and occasional texts =/= IRL connection

• Options
      banana468banana468 member
      First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
      I think if the LW is close to their parents and considers them of sound mind then she may want to talk to them.

There's something about the LW that give me a teenager or young 20s vibe and there may be more going on that the LW is not privy to.  It doesn't mean she should be informed but the parents may want to say if maintaining contact is or is not a great idea. 
    • Options
      banana468banana468 member
      First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
      levioosa said:
      Unfortunately sometimes you don't get closure, LW. You're in your early 20s so you're still learning that. I suppose you could message her and tell her you are sorry and you appreciated her always making you feel loved and uplifted, and you wish her well, but don't expect anything if you do send that. Who knows what family drama was happening behind your (let's be real) age 5-20 back. 
      Right!  I can understand LW looked up to that person but...what if there are skeleton's in someone's closet that mean that it's best to stop all communication?