Wedding Woes
Options

Thursday

Slow day at work.  Finally.  I went to a Rodan & Fields event yesterday and won a raffle prize.  My first party was in April and I won a raffle then too.  I.  Never.  Win.  Anything!
It was fun too. I knew 2 girls from our meetup (plus the consultant) and met a friend of hers who
Meshed well with us.  We talked about doing train pub crawls and I’m like “hey what about a costume one during October?” 
Sorry not sorry, can’t work today, I’m plotting train schedules for the perfect train pub crawl five months in advance. 

Re: Thursday

• Options
    CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Mom is on her way here for the weekend and to help me paint. Still can't fine a good paint color - i'm a little annoyed that the trim we have isn't just white, it's a slightly yellow off-white that is apparently impossible to match with another beige/off-white. I'm thinking about just painting the walls the same color as the trim since it will be eggshell vs shiny anyway. Least it will match that way, lol. I also fully recognize this is a very silly 1st world problem. 

Purging lots of the stuff from the house and i'm so excited about it. People are picking up sets of chairs, silverware, kids clothes/toys, etc and i feel so much better already. 
  • Options
    @CharmedPam, I think a train pub crawl sounds awesome!  Add in some costumes for a Halloween-esque one and it's just getting even better.  That obviously takes priority over work.

There's a fancy overnight train that travels between NOLA and Chicago.  I don't know if it's still around, but I looked into it when it first became available (before COVID).  Cue my complete astonishment when I saw how pricey it was.  $2850 for two people in a master suite.  Or $500 for a single person in an upper berth.  And it's only about an 18-hour ride.

I was envisioning my own bygone re-creation of a train journey like Murder on the Orient Express.  Just hopefully without the murder part, lol.  But I don't want to stay in an open bunk bed or pay private room prices, so it stays on my "if I win the lottery" bucket list.

What a day already!  Apparently I've made two big mistakes at work...though I don't think they could have been helped...and am waiting for the manager of that department to get back to me on what to do.

I used a new process for what I thought was a new project, but I guess it should have been done the old way.  I am almost positive the lead engineer told me to do it that way, but it was a verbal conversation back in September so I can't say for sure.  I checked my e-mails and there wasn't any instructions either way.  Though I did send that first form to the manager to make sure it was correct.  He didn't say it wasn't, so then it got used as a go-by for the last 8 months and a bunch of other submittals are wrong now too.

I charged a warehouse order to the wrong project.  Except when I did that two months ago, I didn't even know about the project it should have been charged to.  I can't charge to a project I don't know about, smh.

It just sucks that all of this has coincidentally happened the same morning.  I feel bad and think it makes me look bad.

But enough on the pity party.  I got some kitchen organizing done last night and purged a few things.  I also have a list of items I'm going to try and sell.  One of them was such a mistake purchase and I'm still salty about it.  I kept hearing about nitro-infused coffee giving people more energy and that it's a smoother taste.  So I paid $27 for one of those whipped cream dispensers on Amazon to try it myself.  No difference at all and didn't see what the big deal was.  I have never used it again. 

I'll donate whatever I can't sell.  Once those items are gone, I will have whittled down a big shelf full of stuff to just four items that can be packed up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have the same Orient Express dreams @short+sassy! Someday. Or I’ll just go to Europe and fulfill them there! 

It’s my divisions picnic today so I’m not working and it’s great! 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Congrats on the prizes @charmedpam and I love the feeling of getting rid of stuff @casadena!

It rained all night but not since around 8am, so I think the kids’ field day could’ve happened. Oh well. Pretty ssdd here, thankful it’s Friday eve. 
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Field day for both kids is tomorrow.  Chiquita's was moved and Chiquito's is going on as previously scheduled.  It's gross and wet and I'm told more is on the way.  We're supposed to have the GS mother/daughter bonfire tonight and I think it may be a wash - we'll see!

In about a week I'll have my paperwork to be officially certified in infant/child/adult CPR and first aid.  It was 3 hours and I came home to children who were afraid of the sounds that are made in the dark but not afraid to leave wrappers everywhere.  Priorities!

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    Hello!!  Work outing yesterday was fun, but I am tired today.  LOL 

I'm beyond ready for the weekend.  DefConn and oldest niece just got home from Cincy.  It was a weird week having him gone.  I'm glad he's old enough to do this stuff and go have fun.  

SSDD otherwise.  Prudie coming up. 

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited June 6
    @ei34 and @banana468. Field day? So your kids are still in school? School outs are all over the board!
    @Casadena your mom = my mom (and Dad). They saved me $100’s in paint alone since I don’t trust my skills.  They’re not perfect but it’s very livable lol.  I hope you find your perfect color.  I know that once I went into “one coat” category, I lost 2/3 of hue options, but worth it.
    @short+sassy I ONLY think of overnight train cars as a who dunnit situation. 

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    @CharmedPam our last day (“our” being my kids and me, can’t speak for CT lol) is June 26th.  We end later bc we return later- we’re off until the Thursday before Labor Day. I know around the country it’s earlier in August.  Just different schedules, imagine everyone has the same 185 instructional days? 
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    We're earlier than @ei34.  School begins at the end of August and we have fewer holidays in our town as it's not nearly as diverse as where @ei34 lives.  When I grew up at the other end of the state closer to NYC we would have the Jewish holidays of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur and those are not off for my kids.

Last day is next week on the 13th!
  • Options
    ei34 said:
    @CharmedPam our last day (“our” being my kids and me, can’t speak for CT lol) is June 26th.  We end later bc we return later- we’re off until the Thursday before Labor Day. I know around the country it’s earlier in August.  Just different schedules, imagine everyone has the same 185 instructional days? 
    This was a culture shock for me when I moved.  CA public schools is a schedule like you described.  Or at least it was when I was in school.

But here, it goes from late August to sometime in May.  To make it even more confusing, not all public schools are on the same schedule even if they are in the same parish (county).  Then we also have tons of private schools that all have their own schedule.

I'm definitely enjoying how much smoother and faster it is for me to get to work lately, now that I am not vying with school traffic.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just returned from a meeting with our new Y executive director. Seems like she is a good fit for our branch. H has been doing yard work this morning. It was very much needed. I still need to do some weeding but I've showered and I'm not going out and getting all sweaty to  have to shower a second time!

Our schools were out the Thursday before Memorial Day but go back the 1st week of August (I think the Tuesday). Today is the grandson's last day of school and they go back about a week or so later than our district. When my kids were young we started at the end of August and went into June. yes it was always 185 instructional days. No Jewish or Muslim religious days off here.

I watched a series on Netflix that I really liked "Echoes". It's a thriller about twins that switch lives through out their lives. It was really good and ended with some questions. I love twin switching stories!

• Options
    ei34 said:
    That’s how it was growing up in Canada. Late June to early Sept, depending on when labor day fell. I feel now, around here anyway, it’s earlier and earlier though, we’re talking May! Ummm it’s not even Summer yet. You can’t lake swim on Memorial Day weekend yet!

• Options
    We're getting moving on kitchen stuff this weekend!
    We did measurements and pre planned things so we can basically go into ikea and say "this, this and that"
    After kitchen is done, we agreed that we're getting new dishes and glasses. We've decided we need new stuff and dishes are first - they're cracking - but since they're fine for now, we aren't worrying.

BK is likely getting a desk soon. She wants makeup brushes and art stuff for her desk, so that's a thing lmao