Wedding Woes
Options

You will love baby Godzilla and get past the name stuff.

Dear Prudence,

My wife and I are new grandparents. The parents are in their late 30s with this baby probably being their first and only. The name of the baby is concerning and upsetting to me and my wife. To protect our children, I will describe the name, not provide the actual name selected.

The first name is a mixture of each parent’s maternal grandmother, which we do not care for, but have bigger concerns for the child on account of the middle and last name. The middle name is the name of the monster demigod, which was a character in a film released in 2021. The movie was part of a popular comedy, action-themed movie franchise, which began in 1984. The last name of the baby is a 10-letter combination of our daughter’s and son-in-law’s surnames, which, my guess, to them represents their union with the child. This combined name is difficult to pronounce, and spell whereas each parent’s name is short, and easily understood. Neither my daughter nor son-in-law are changing their given surnames, so this family unit will have three last names.

I totally understand that it is the right of the parents to name their child and as grandparents, we must both respect and stay out of their decision. Nonetheless, I do not understand how a parent can select as a middle name for their child a monster demigod because my son-in-law liked the movie. How does one explain to a child that his name was derived from a monster in a movie? Regarding the last name, if the new combined parents’ name was given to the child, it seems to me that the parents should change their last names as well. Most upsetting is that both the middle and last names will leave the child open to ridicule. We have not indicated our concerns to the parents as of yet.

—Worried About Our Grandchild

Re: You will love baby Godzilla and get past the name stuff.

• Options
    They should leave the middle name alone.  But I don't think it would be bad form for them to talk about the last name.  Gently.  And only once.  But it's valid to point out that their child will have to spend their life constantly correcting people's pronunciation and spelling.  That's really annoying.

Maybe even make suggestions on a last name that will still incorporate both of their last names, but in an easier way.  I agree it sounds ridiculous for the child to have a brand new last name that they don't share with either parent.  But that is not the hill to die on.

My last name is only 6 letters long and not particularly difficult to pronounce.  But it's also a unique name, so I constantly have to tell people how to pronounce and spell it.  But at least it is short and simple enough that I don't usually need to do it twice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    People rarely use their middle name.  I think LW is overthinking it. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    I think LW doesn't like any of it from top to bottom.  They don't like the first name and last name meshing and the baby having a different last name and all that. And the middle name has sent them over the edge.  I think this is a situation where you just need to keep your mouth shut and opinions mum because they won't be welcome.  If the kid hates any or all of it, they can change it when they're older.  Until then, zip it LW.  
  • Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I personally thought that bff's kid has a terrible name, but I zipped my trap shut and let her do her thing, because it wasn't something accidentally offensive, (like a real life person my friend's parent had as a roommate in college--Fanny Beater), and it didn't accidentally spell out like A.S.S. or something as the initials. Not my circus, not my monkeys. 

• Options
    You need to STFU and sitTF down. You don't have to like the name, but you do need to keep your opinions to yourself. One does not explain to a child that their name was derived from anything, because it's not your damned place. 

Renesme may or may not like her name, but she sure as shit is not going to be the only kid in her class that has a unique name or a different surname to either of her parents. If she doesn't like it, she can change it when she grows up. You do not need to saddle her with your opinions or make her self conscious about it.