Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

NO Flash Photography At Ceremony

I'm still fairly new to the church I'm attending, and in their wedding policy it says that flash photography can be used during the processional and the recessional but NOT during the ceremony, because it is sacred. Also, during the ceremony the photographer has to stay in the balcony above, which means dark pictures and a bird's eye view. They said we could "recreate" any moments we needed to after the ceremony, but that's not the same, and we have limited time inbetween the ceremony and reception. Should I let it go or push for more freedom in the contract?

Re: NO Flash Photography At Ceremony

• Options
    A good photog should still be able to get good photos.  Our church doesn't allow any to be taken in the sancuary during the ceremony, and I've seen pics that were taken through the glass door.  As long as the church is well lit, it shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    The  church has rules for a reason.  Plenty of other people have been married there and did not have their weddings ruined by the no flash rule.  If you want to find a more flexible venue, go ahead.  But I would not try to negotiate with the church to try to get them to change the rules for you.
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    You might want to ask the priest to make an announcement at the start of the ceremony regarding flash photography.  A lot of guests may not know the rules.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    I work in a church that has the same rules/restrictions.  And it's for a reason.  We consider a wedding ceremony to be a worship service.  Having flash photography during a worship service destroys the intent of the service.

And yes, I've played in other churches where photographers walk around, walk behind the minister during vows, and distract to the point of exasperation.  I've played a wedding where an aunt of the bride's got up and asked the minister to move over a little so she could get a better picture.

A good photographer will have the necessary equipment to take good pictures.  But, you dont NEED photographs at the exact moment.  You may WANT them, but you don't NEED them.

In my church, you could try to "push" to change the contract.  We'd give you two options:  either accept the terms we set to maintain the integrity of our church's beliefs, or find another church in which to have your ceremony.

I personally think you'd be terribly out of line to try to insist that the church change it's beliefs.  The church is not a theatrical stage set for your ceremony.  It's a house of worship.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Why not have your photographer do test shots beforehand so you can see what they will look like without a flash and from the balcony? That way if you don't like it you can try to find a new place.

I agree with trix that you would be out of line to ask them to change their rules. You should've checked this before you booked.
  • Options
    kkaras1kkaras1 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    Wow, thank you for all of your input, but I must say that I completely understand that "The church is not a theatrical stage set for your ceremony.  It's a house of worship." That being said, I would NEVER insist on anything, only ASK. We are trying to have a small ceremony, small intimate reception, all with a very small budget, which allows for a friend to be our photographer to capture the special moments which won't be able to be recreated. Do we WANT to have pictures to remember the moments with, yes, do we NEED them, no. However, if you're going with that argument, then you don't NEED to do anything in your ceremony or reception other than make it legal. So that argument doesn't work. We are going to ASK the church politely "to change their beliefs" to allow our friend to walk around a little bit, and if they decline then we'll decide if we want to find another church.
  • Options
    No flash is a challenge. Talk to your photographer about it to see if he will have any problem. A high quality photographer has the type of lens that will work and also will have zoom lens if he has to be in the back.
  • Options
    don't get too discouraged! i've asked a few questions on the board and usually there are more mean answers than nice ones..they are all high and mighty and off-putting..but like you said theres no harm in asking right? GL!
  • Options
    What TheMcIntyres said.  Lots of nutters on here.  Feel free to ask them to be flexible.  If they're not, talk to your photog and then decide what works best for you!
  • Options

I think that rule is ridiculous.  I've never been to a church that wouldn't allow flash at any time during a wedding.  Considering it is your ceremony, not a church service, and you will most likely be contributing money to have it done at the church, I think you should get to choose if you want the photography or not.  I wouldn't find it rude to ask because it is your moment, not the church's, and it should be up to you if you want your ceremony "ruined" by photography. 
    As for no flash, if a photographer knows their camera well enough they should be able to get pictures with some adjusting. 

• Options
    The official photographer is commonly told no flash but the guests are flashing away with their point & shoot cameras.

It never hurts to ask but I have yet to hear of one church that ever changed their flash rules.
  • Options
    I understand the purpose of this rule as others have mentioned, but I don't think it would be inappropriate for you to ask if there is another location closer to the front where the photographer can sit during the ceremony. Sitting in the first row or squatting in the aisle at the front wouldn't be that distracting as long as the photographer stayed there and didn't use flash. I think it is at least open for discussion.
  • Options
    As a photog..... I believe the most beautiful photos are done without flash. Your photog will need a good DSLR camera, a zoom lens and a tripod. Your pics will be fab if he has thos things he can take photos in low light from the balcony no prob. You want  a competent photog  and all will be fine.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_flash-photography-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:5cc758eb-4e1e-40f2-8efb-75da6ae9efdePost:f01c10c8-1430-48df-b458-2aa0d6ae2247">Re: NO Flash Photography At Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that rule is ridiculous.  I've never been to a church that wouldn't allow flash at any time during a wedding.  Considering it is your ceremony, not a church service, and you will most likely be contributing money to have it done at the church, I think you should get to choose if you want the photography or not.  I wouldn't find it rude to ask because it is your moment, not the church's, and it should be up to you if you want your ceremony "ruined" by photography.  As for no flash, if a photographer knows their camera well enough they should be able to get pictures with some adjusting. 
    Posted by sexymander[/QUOTE]

A wedding ceremony performed in a church IS a religious service, just not your typical Sunday morning one.  The church is there to unite a couple in the presence of God, not to bend their rules for the sake of a few photos for a couple renting their worship space to follow God's Word.

Anything that takes place in a church is subject to the rules of said church.
    10-10-10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards