Texas-Houston
Options

Need Advice

Okay, so I just got engaged on August 29, and am planning a wedding in Dec 2010. My family was not blessed with lots of money. My future in-laws were, and my FMIL has said she wants to contribute, but I haven't gotten a final amount out of her yet. I don't want to start booking vendors without having a certain amount in mind. But basically I'm thinking $6k total for everything except the groom's expenses. Thankfully, my home church offers major discounts for hosting a wedding of a member. Basically, for everything minus musicians and catering, the wedding venue could cost a mere $750 (includes a wedding planner and supervisor). Which is amazing, but they have so many policies. For example, since my wedding is in Dec, I'd have to use the smaller (uglier) chapel. This I don't mind so much. But a lot of other things are strictly monitored, like music selection has to go through an approval process, if the guest list exceeds 150 ppl, we're forced to use my church's catering (which is fine, i don't really care about the food) The two biggest setbacks are dancing and alcohol. Unfortunately I was raised Baptist. My FI is a lutheran and is going to be a lutheran pastor. Although I've been raised a Baptist, I do drink and I do dance. I especially want to dance with my husband at our reception, but my church says that's a big no-no (am I living inthe movie Footloose?!). Also, my fiance's family would like to serve beer and wine at the reception. So basically, I have to either find a place for the ceremony&reception, or just the reception that's within 10 miles of the galleria that offers saturday night appetizer receptions for less than $5k (for 150-200 ppl). Does anyone have any advice?? I know I have plenty of time but I'd rather just get this out of the way.

Re: Need Advice

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It might be difficult to find something since your budget is $6K and you may end up with 200 guests. The galleria area won't be cheap. I didn't really look much in that area, but hotels are pretty steep on catering.Oh, and you're not living in the movie Footloose. NO church will let you have alcohol or "secular" music. I thought about having my wedding in the chapel at Second Baptist and they are SUPER strict about music. If you really want a cocktail type reception with a band or DJ, you'll have to find a banquet/reception hall.I'm sure one of the other Knotties will come to your rescue. All the girls on here have awesome ideas. Good luck and congrats!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey there, keep your chin up!Does your FMIL know the restrictions the church is setting on you? Could you suggest to them that since the things they are wanting aren't allowed, they might be willing to front the $ for that part of it so you can find a different place?Also look at a Friday or a Sunday for a wedding, places are much cheaper those days instead of Saturdays. Even Saturday mornings are cheaper (it saved me about 6K.)Could you push the date back a bit to save some extra money or cut the guest list down?
  • Options
    ayersfam20ayersfam20 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto to TXSun!Do NOT start planning until you have a firm # from you FMIL.  DH was always told we would have a certain amount from his family - so we put that into our budget and started planning.  A month before the wedding my IL's told us they were going to pay for the rehearsal dinner and that was it.  We were grateful that they were going to do that - but that's not where we budgeted all of the money we thought they were going to give us.  Ended up costing us a lot more of our own money in the long run.
    Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
  • Options
    jmo2187jmo2187 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only advice I can give is to plan a wedding based on what you and your FI can afford. In these economic times we can not count on people to come through when it comes to money, even if they say they will. Also, TXsun has provided great advice! Saturday nights are much more than Friday's or Sunday's. Oh and don't forget to stick to guest list. Things will happen, you will meet new friends and some people will invite themselves to your wedding. Say no!!! Make a list and stick with it. Best of luck and most importantly don't stress, everything will fall into place.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards