Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

How to include my child....

My fiancé and I are getting married and want a way to include my three year old in the ceremony. Anyone have any creative ideas?
Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How to include my child....

• Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I would recommend he has someone special (grandparent, aunt/uncle, etc) who can sit with him in the front row and guide him through everything as it happens. As well, it will be important to include him in a couple of formal photos. 

I do not suggest that he be included in the ceremony -- vows are for bride and groom only.
  • Options
    Flower girl or ring bearer.  After that, just take a ton of pictures with them.
  • Options
    Flower girl/ring bearer if you think they can make it up the aisle unassisted and without lots of chaos.  And lots of photos!
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2012
    This is such a frequently asked question!  I wonder if the mod of this board has ever thought o making a sticky for it.  I think I see it at least once every day or two.

With that being said, OP, having someone walk the child down the aisle would be nice, including him or her in pictures would be nice, even holding him or her for part of your first dance could be cute.  Including him or he in the vows, however, would not be appropriate as a marriage is between 2 consenting adults, not children.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_how-to-include-my-child?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:5dfd46c5-3130-45ad-84c5-42013fe27ee3Post:d1633e01-40be-477a-a495-d6bc974c6d4b">Re: How to include my child....</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is such a frequently asked question!  I wonder if the mod of this board has ever thought o making a sticky for it.  I think I see it at least once every day or two. With that being said, OP, having someone walk the child down the aisle would be nice, including him or her in pictures would be nice, even holding him or her for part of your first dance could be cute.  Including him or he in the vows, however, would not be appropriate as a marriage is between 2 consenting adults, not children.
    Posted by kaos16[/QUOTE]

There is a sticky on the "second weddings" board (under "special topics boards"). Obviously not everyone with kids is getting married for the second time, but I usually just refer people to that board:-)
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Flower girl or ring bearer if you think they'd be up for it. Ditto PP on just taking a lot of pics with them. Three is so young that they won't totally grasp what is happening, so any further involvement would be difficult.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    FI and I have a daughter who will be 22 months when we get married next year. She will walk FI down the aisle, stand with him while I walk down the aisle, then we'll say a short family prayer and she'll sit with his parents for the actual ceremony.
    March 2013 Siggy - Ceremony Venue Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Heat22Heat22 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I can't say I agree with everyone else.  I agree the wedding vows are for adults, but we are also going to take a family vow and then give our daughter an engraved bracelet.  She is also going to be a flower girl.  If it causes chaos, so be it, we have a three year old and sometimes it happens to be chaotic. 
  • Options
    I dont have a close relationship with my dad, and grandfather is gone so my (then 3 year old) son will be walking me down the isle to his daddy! =) him and his daddy are going to have matching tuxes he then will go sit with his grandparents
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_how-to-include-my-child?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:5dfd46c5-3130-45ad-84c5-42013fe27ee3Post:5324d052-1cd3-413e-8ce8-28e4e9f25ec6">Re: How to include my child....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't say I agree with everyone else.  I agree the wedding vows are for adults, but we are also going to take a family vow and then give our daughter an engraved bracelet.  She is also going to be a flower girl.  If it causes chaos, so be it, we have a three year old and sometimes it happens to be chaotic. 
    Posted by Heat22[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea :) I'm debating what to do with our daughter in the ceremony...she'll be 7 by the time we get married next year (long story). I'd like to include her as a Flower Girl, although I won't be mentioning her specifically in the vows (probably just go with the traditional vows). But I'd like for her dad/my FI to give her a ring or something special to recognize that we're now a legal family. A bracelet sounds like a good idea :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards