Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Wanting to honor our loved ones who recently passed

Both my fiance and I have lost friends and family close to us but even recently within months of our wedding I lost a very close friend and also my uncle who raised me while I was in high school.  We are looking for a way to honor and remember them at either our ceremony or reception.  We are wanting something suttle, both deaths were sudden and unexpected so we don't want to open old wounds but we do want to show our love. Any ideas?  Thank you

Re: Wanting to honor our loved ones who recently passed

• Options
    The best thing you could do would be have a line in your program about hose who are missing on your wedding day.  Anything beyond that carries too much risk of causing someone at your wedding pain.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options

It's sweet that you want to remember them at your wedding, but I'd keep the focus on your wedding. People want to be happy and celebrate, not be upset because people you love can't be there. 
  • Options
    We decided to find pictures of our loved ones, we then found scapbooking frames and we are going to glue their pictures on a ribon that will be holding my wedding bouquet, a small little thing but we wanted close to us and included.
  • Options
    FI and I also wanted to honor quite a bit of loved ones who have passed, so we decided to add some pictures of them at the sign in table in pretty picture frames :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I LOVE that idea!! Thank you!!
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_wanting-to-honor-our-loved-ones-who-recently-passed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:5e5c5877-e43e-4550-a889-6f65764e263ePost:ac7448b5-665e-4bd9-8c4a-dcb66c7f549f">Re: Wanting to honor our loved ones who recently passed</a>:
    [QUOTE]We decided to find pictures of our loved ones, we then found scapbooking frames and we are going to glue their pictures on a ribon that will be holding my wedding bouquet, a small little thing but we wanted close to us and included.
    Posted by caroz32[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_wanting-to-honor-our-loved-ones-who-recently-passed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:5e5c5877-e43e-4550-a889-6f65764e263ePost:ac7448b5-665e-4bd9-8c4a-dcb66c7f549f">Re: Wanting to honor our loved ones who recently passed</a>:
    [QUOTE]We decided to find pictures of our loved ones, we then found scapbooking frames and we are going to glue their pictures on a ribon that will be holding my wedding bouquet, a small little thing but we wanted close to us and included.
    Posted by caroz32[/QUOTE]

<div>We're doing something sort of similar.</div><div>
    </div><div>During the first song, just after my mother is seated, 2 children [family friends] will bring 4 long-stemmed sunflowers up the aisle and place them in a vase at the arch in the outdoor garden where we'll be married:  1 for FI's parents, 1 for my brother, 1 for my childrens' father [my late husband] and 1 for FI's son [who died in February, was to have been his best man].</div><div>
    </div><div>I disagree that aything other than maybe a mention in the progam should be avoided because it might make people sad or whatever.</div><div>
    </div><div>In our case, these missing people are the elephants in the room and a part of our history and our relaionship.  For us, to not acknowledge them in a significant way just doesn't feel right.  But, of course, every situation is different.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My DH and I had them listed on the program and also had a memorial vase with a single rose for each person on our unity candle table at the ceremony then we had someone take the vase to the reception. So they basically got to be with us for the whole night!
    TTC #1 since June 2012
  • Options
    We were thinking of just doing a vase on the alter with a white rose for each person that has been lost and then mentioning the symbolism of the roses in the program. There are all great suggestions above. I think it comes down to what you think is appropriate on the subtle versus obvious spectrum for your situation, comfort level, and maybe the comfort level of the guests that will be affected.
  • Options
    I'm going to have my brother light a memorial candle at the begining of the proceedings when he walks in with the other groomsmen. The candle is listed in the program as honoring those who can't be with us, specifically our grandparents and my mom. I may also have a table of wedding pictures of our parents and grandparents, which would include those people as well. 
  • Options
    We are leaving a chair open for my late Mother with some flowers on it. And I love the picture in the bouquet idea. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's important to know that they will be there in spirit.
  • Options
    I'm playing a memorial song and  mentioning them in a  program for our wedding ..... good luck with the ideas you have..i know it gave me a bunch too just reading the board...and we recently lost my FI's gpa too.
  • Options
    We are going to have a bouquet at the altar dedicated in their memory that we will mention in the program. We are having a Catholic mass so were were also going to have their names mentioned at the appropriate time during the mass.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards