Texas-Houston
Options

Wanted: Natural Light Venue!

Hello All!

I am looking at places to hold the reception (or possibly reception/ceremony... depending on whether we decide to have a church wedding or not... lots of moving parts at this point in the process!) in Houston. My family lives on the NW side, but we are strongly considering having it in The Woodlands because we think it would be more "fun" for our guests (the majority will be from out of town; my fiancé's family is out of state so many of them will be visiting Texas for the first time!).

Since it will most likely be a summer wedding, I'm thinking that air conditioning is a must. But most of the venues I have found are very dark. I might be asking for too much, but basically I want the natural light, outside "look" with the inside, AC "feel." Are there any venues (really anywhere around town) that have large glass walls? Or the sort of outside, garden-y feel, with the benefit of air conditioning?

For example, I LOVE the chapel at Ashton Gardens. I am afraid it might be too small (we are thinking about 200 people--biiiig family on my side!), though, and I'm not sure how bright the reception area is.

Another reception option I have stumbled across is the Glass Ballroom at the Woodlands Resort & Conference Center -- but according to the website, it only fits about 170, and I think that would be pushing it even if we reined in the guest list.

So basically, any suggestions for a venue with an "outdoor" feel (lots of natural light, big windows, etc.) that is actually indoors? Or am I asking for the impossible?

Re: Wanted: Natural Light Venue!

• Options
    This may not be exactly what you are looking for but The Petroleum Club has a ballroom that has three walls of floor to ceiling windows. It is in downtown Houston however so if you are open to considering that area it might be an option. I dont know if it really has an "outdoor" feel to it but definitely plenty of natural light.

We are having our reception here in September and the windows are one of my favorite things about the club. Also our guest list is at 326 so plenty of room for a not so bad price tag IMHO.

Let me know if you want more information on it and I will send over the wedding packet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh I also just thought about the Grove (also in downtown Houston). I had a friend get married here last year and it was gorgeous. Not sure how many it would hold though may be worth checking into.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Check out the woodlands country club - definitely lots of natural light there
  • Options
    The Grove has awesome natural light and an outdoor feel, but it's too small for your needs.

The inside part only holds about 80 w/ dance floor, and you can extend to the outside patio, but you'll still only get 150 across both areas (and it's not very fun to split guests up)

The Crystal Ballroom (downtown), I think, has some good light and an outdoor veranda attached.  It should hold 200.

Also, the Alden has a nice indoor/outdoor feel to it.  Lots of windows.  I think it also holds 200, but I'm not sure.

SaveSave
  • Options
    Garten Verein in Galveston is all windows and can fit up to 250.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I second Garten Verein, nothing but windows so very cool.  The Grove is beautiful too but way too small for your needs.
  • Options
    Thank you for all the good suggestions! It will be a while before I can visit but I am definitely checking these out online. 

The Woodlands Country Club is beautiful, and they already said they can fit up to 260 (yay!).

The Garten Verein is amazing too, I had never even heard of it.
  • Options
    The Alden holds up to 170 comfortably. 180 is tight.
    PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    Check out Oak Tree Manor in Spring! That's where we're getting married, and you can do the ceremony under a big beautiful oak tree and hold the reception in their gorgeous new reception hall if you need indoor space. (We're doing the whole wedding outside, hopefully it'll be sunny in November!!)
  • Options
    You might also like The Gardens of Bammel Lane.  It's got that look you are looking for.
  • Options
    Olde Dobbin Station in Montgomery is gorgeous.  I think you'd love it and it holds a ton of guests.  
  • Options
    <div>I'm definitely interested in that one!! I'm a little afraid though for my out of town guests, a lot of the places I'm leaning towards aren't super close to hotels. It's hard to find it all! </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_wanted-natural-light-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:121Discussion:2532d211-3f4f-4da1-8d1f-9bd6587aed74Post:f7a17e3a-37c9-41d6-81d7-d93af7f2db72">Re: Wanted: Natural Light Venue!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Olde Dobbin Station in Montgomery is gorgeous.  I think you'd love it and it holds a ton of guests.  
    Posted by ohmagada[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Take a look at www.TownHallTexas.com - western venue.  Hall would be too small for your ceremony/reception - but the price for the venue might be reasonable enough to rent really nice air conditioned tents with open sides for tons of light or sheer ones like the Kardashian wedding reception. The hall could be used for serving the food/food setup, etc. and/or bar area.  This venue allows for outside catering, BYOB or bar with affordable TABC licensed bartendar, 10 acres to do what you want!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards