April 2012 Weddings
Options

Save the dates really necessary?

Are save the dates really necessary? I'm getting married about a 4 hr drive from my and my Fiancee's hometown, where most of the people will be coming from. 

I could save $130 by NOT sending out save the dates.

Our date is Saturday, Apr 21st. Is it close enough now that I might as well just wait another month or two and send out the invites?

Re: Save the dates really necessary?

• Options
    Hello date twin :-)

No, save the dates are absolutely not necessary!  I wouldn't hesitate about this being one of the items to be cut out to save money.

If there are a few people (i.e. grandmas) that are especially important to you for them to be there, reassure yourself that they're in the loop through a little word of mouth.  Maybe you can send your invitations a little on the early side, closer to eight weeks than six weeks, if you want to give people more advance notice.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    nope, not necessary! and with a little over 4 months to go, I'd say not important at all.
  • Options
    Ditto PPs. Some say as early as 3 months out is good ( I think the older etiquette books) but the more popular timing now is 6-8 weeks. If I was you, I'd send them around maybe 10 weeks if you're worried about any one from OOT being able to make it. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We aren't doing them.  They might be useful for some, but not for us.  I swear that as soon as we told our parents the date, everyone who's invited to our wedding knew. lol

Since we aren't doing STD's, we are sending our invites at 10 weeks (because we need a head count by 4 weeks).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    Save-the-dates can be a good idea for a destination wedding, or a wedding around a popular holiday so folks would have plenty of time to arrange their schedules. Otherwise, they are not necessary and a good place to save some money.
  • Options
    I agree, not necessary however we did them because we are having a destination wedding.  But I went for cheap ones and spent about $90 fo 100 cute postcard style save the dates from zazzle.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Nope, we didn't do them.  I'm with you...there's other things that money needs to be spent on, lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards