Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Flower Girl or Something Else?

My fiancee and I would like to include our daughter in our wedding ceremony.  She will be about 11 months old for the wedding.  One idea we had is to have her as the flower girl (she is almost walking now, so chances are she will be by then).  If we do this, my fiancee's brother (age 7) will be the ring bearer and hold her hand to guide her down the aisle.

Before we decide on this, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to incorporate her in any other way.  If she is not the flower girl, I have a little cousin I was planning to ask.

Thank you!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Flower Girl or Something Else?

• That's pretty young for a flower girl.  Even if she's walking by then, kids aren't always the most coordinated.  Maybe she could walk down with your MOH instead?
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I think 11 months is really too young to be incorporated in any way other than dressing her up and taking lots of pictures.  If she's willing to walk down the aisle, great, but I wouldn't plan on it.
  • My cousin had her 11-month old neice as flower girl, it was really adorable. She had her father walk her down. I say go for it, sounds cute :) Just maybe have a backup plan if she throws a temper tantrum on day of or something.
  • I was at a wedding where an older child pulled a toddler down the isle in a decorated wagon. I thought it was cute.

Julie
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Thanks for the ideas everyone!  I never thought of the wagon idea; that could be cute!  And walking with the MOH is a possibility too.  I'll run those ideas past my fiancee and see what he thinks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm doing something similar with my 3 year old niece but I do think having someone older that the child knows would help you to avoid the possible problem of both your younger children getting scared and refusing to go down the isle. A lot of people staring at you, even at an older age, can be really intimidating.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_flower-girl-or-something-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:5ff91b8b-3a6e-4577-a68c-97991cb9f734Post:ef43553c-8c25-4708-ae49-14e7e42466c6">Flower Girl or Something Else?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiancee and I would like to include our daughter in our wedding ceremony.  She will be about 11 months old for the wedding.  One idea we had is to have her as the flower girl (she is almost walking now, so chances are she will be by then).  If we do this, my fiancee's brother (age 7) will be the ring bearer and hold her hand to guide her down the aisle. Before we decide on this, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to incorporate her in any other way.  If she is not the flower girl, I have a little cousin I was planning to ask. Thank you!
    Posted by AlexaNP[/QUOTE]

I have sort of the same situation...My FI has two young nieces we'd wanted to be flower girls...the youngest will be 16 months at the time of the wedding...we are hoping to have her walk down with the 4 year old as essentially co-flower girls. Perhaps you could do this with the little cousin you'd already planned to ask? That way if she does resist or throw a tantrum, your little cousin is already in place and not an after thought (could rub her mom the wrong way, just saying) and you won't have to stress too much the day of....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards