Texas-Houston
Options

No children

HELP!!! Any ideas on how to put "NO CHILDREN" on your invitations with out hurting someone's feelings??

The venue that we are getting married at does not allow kids... what to do!

I thought of putting: NO CHILDREN PLEASE ; ADULT FACILITY ; and RECEPTION IS AN ADULT FACILITY.... Any ideas...

Re: No children

• Options
    edited December 2011

I think ive just seen it written "Adult reception to follow" or something along those lines? And if you've got a website that people are being directed to via bridal shower invites or save the dates...be sure to put the information on there.

I then i saw it on one invite that said something like...no children under the age of 5 and proceeded to say something about an adult environment...which i thought was tacky.

keep it short and simple.

or you can always hire a babysitter and make an area just for kids so they dont get in the way, and parents dont have to worry about it

Becca & Justin - 5/16/09 - Planning Bio My Blog(updated 3/12)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I had this same problem - I clearly stated that while we'd love to celebrate with their families, we're sorry that the venue has a no children policy. I put this in the save the date info packet (with the hotel info, etc) and also on the direction card, not on the invitation itself (I thought it would put a damper on a happy invite).  Also, I made sure only to clearly address the invitation to the parents - and followed up with any ambiguous RSVP's.  

HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So which sounds better?

Adult reception immediately following

or

Adult reception to follow
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_children?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:121Discussion:2e23ad5d-ea6c-418d-a328-3a068a21eb37Post:afb02fac-5fbc-4c17-8aef-b40d100eb40f">Re: No children</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had this same problem - I clearly stated that while we'd love to celebrate with their families, we're sorry that the venue has a no children policy. I put this in the save the date info packet (with the hotel info, etc) and also on the direction card, not on the invitation itself (I thought it would put a damper on a happy invite).  Also, I made sure only to clearly address the invitation to the parents - and followed up with any ambiguous RSVP's.   HTH
    Posted by lewisc2002@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]

this is all wonderful advice!
    Becca & Justin - 5/16/09 - Planning Bio My Blog(updated 3/12)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would say, "Adult reception to follow" I loved the idea that MdniteMustang00 had about the sitter,however can understand the no children policy and how costly things quickly get.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In order to not invite children, just don't put their names anywhere on the invite. For example, if you're inviting Tom and Tiffany, and don't want little Susie to come, just address the invite for Tom and Tiffany.

If they RSVP little Susie anyway, call them and nicely explain that your venue doesn't allow children. 

Putting anything on the invite itself is tacky.
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with "adult only reception" some people don't get the fact that if you don't put their name they are not invited, or maybe they just like to pretend they don't know.
  • Options
    nackiejicholenackiejichole member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I just put "Adult reception to follow" on the invitations. I researched online and that seems to be the most acceptable wording. Also, only address the invitations/envelopes to the adults.

Word of mouth works as well. Tell someone like your mother/grandmother/aunt who you know will be speaking to your guests and they can casually mention it. My grandmother spoke to my cousins and it was brought up in conversation before they even got the invitations so it helps.

• Options
    akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_children?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:121Discussion:2e23ad5d-ea6c-418d-a328-3a068a21eb37Post:2111b3c4-d622-4540-b782-1625094defc0">Re: No children</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with "adult only reception" some people don't get the fact that if you don't put their name they are not invited, or maybe they just like to pretend they don't know.
    Posted by miriellegirl[/QUOTE]

<div>That's why you then get in touch with them and explain it to them.</div>
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
  • Options
    clenearclenear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    adult only reception is a tasteful way to put it..
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Please help, when I was growing up, if a wedding invitation did not include the children, then we didn't go.  I assumed this was still the rule and didn't incorporate no children in to the invitations.  Now, I'm getting RSVP for parents and some times 4 children.  Our wedding was to be a small one due to financial reasons and our reception venue is not an appropriate place for children although they don't have a rule against them.  So, now what do I do?  We do not have the financial means to feed the parents and all of the children.   Thanks so much,
  • Options
    aggiebugaggiebug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    grasshopper, you just need to call your guests and explain that this is a small situation and you cannont accomodate the children.  and yes grasshopper you did it right, people just don't know ettiqutte like they used to

typically to curb this problem you can word your RSVP cards in such a way that it doesn't allow for children to be RSVP'ed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards