Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

DIY Drapery - Where to find cheap bulk fabric??

Hello all,

I was thinking about doing my own draperies to brighten up a dull hotel conference room where our ceremony will take place.

I would need lots of fabric and wondered if anyone knew any little secrets about where to get bulk fabric the cheapest.

Thanks in advance! : )

Re: DIY Drapery - Where to find cheap bulk fabric??

• Is the conference center going to allow you to hang drapes in there?  make sure you can do this before you waste time looking for inexpensive fabric.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    This is a lot of time, effort and money for very little payoff.  Just concentrate your decorating budget on making the tables really pop.  No one's going to notice the walls.  Or you might try uplighting, but I will say that I went to a wedding over the weekend, and afterwards I was asked what I thought about the uplighting.  I didn't even notice that they had it.
  • I am also looking for some inexpensive drapery fabric.  My church has two large, wooden panels that partially cover the baptismal.  It's a spring wedding and I think ivory drapes covering the dark wood would give a gorgeous, airy feeling.  I can't do it if it is outrageously expensive, but if I could get by with a couple hundred dollars, I would be happy to donate the drapes to my church for future events.  So if any one has any sources for inexpensive drapery fabric, I would love to hear them too. 
  • AllisaurusRexAllisaurusRex member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    www.efavormart.com

I myself was looking at the organza, but they also have satin. Very good prices compared to what you will pay in a craft or fabric store.

ETA: I also just came across this site thanks to another post on here. It appears to be even cheaper: www.tulleshop.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_diy-drapery-where-to-find-cheap-bulk-fabric?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:61a5942f-346f-439a-bf2e-755413027daaPost:6f3afc84-5ac2-424f-9099-51554e9bbfbf">Re: DIY Drapery - Where to find cheap bulk fabric??</a>:
    [QUOTE]<a href="http://www.efavormart.com" rel="nofollow">www.efavormart.com</a> I myself was looking at the organza, but they also have satin. Very good prices compared to what you will pay in a craft or fabric store. ETA: I also just came across this site thanks to another post on here. It appears to be even cheaper: <a href="http://www.tulleshop.com" rel="nofollow">www.tulleshop.com</a>
    Posted by AllisaurusRex[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Just took a look at the prices.  Woohoo!  I think I'll be able to do it just the way I wanted, a Satin backing with Organza overlay - for even less than I had hoped.  Thanks for your help!

</div>
  • I just bought a 40 yd roll of 58" satin from linentablecloth.com for $35.99.  They have free shipping on orders over $50.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Definitely check with the conference center. Code requirements for fabric in commercial spaces can be very strict. Look for fabrics that say they pass NFPA 701. I am a decorator and there are some great sources for discount fabrics online but you may run into yardage issues and then they might not be able to get a swatch.

June 2013 * March Siggy Challenge * Shoes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards