Texas-Houston
Options

DJ money advice!

FH and I hired a DJ we really like. He's $700 for 4 hours, which is a bit on the high end for us. We originally were thinking $400 to $600 for DJ... but we really like this guy and his lighting service were the lowest out of all the places we got quotes from. This somewhat evens  things out, but his prices for the lighting was how much we were wanting to pay for lights even though it was cheaper than everywhere else (which we thought was heavily and unnecessarily over priced).

So... we asked the DJ if he could play for us until 2am because we're planning to just go ahead and have our after party at the venue instead of trying to get transportation and transfer everyone to a club. The DJ told us he'll do it and we could pay him whatever we felt he deserved...

How would you go about figuring out how much to pay him??? What about tipping him? How doees that work?

Help! I need to figure this out so I can figure out the rest of our budget lol Thanks  in advance!
Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
December 2011 Brides Shoe Challenge!

Re: DJ money advice!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    His $700 for 4 hours would come out to $175 per hour. I would think that he would deserve that for every extra hour you were paying him to stay. Is he part of a company or is he freelance? I would not think that if you paid him the extra hours that tipping would be necessary. Be sure to include him in the count for food and drinks. 
  • Options
    ktvhoktvho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_dj-money-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:121Discussion:553edc54-3ee1-47f8-b478-f5a55dd6d0f2Post:f1e25537-93a6-409f-a714-044613454666">Re: DJ money advice!</a>:
    [QUOTE]His $700 for 4 hours would come out to $175 per hour. I would think that he would deserve that for every extra hour you were paying him to stay. Is he part of a company or is he freelance? I would not think that if you paid him the extra hours that tipping would be necessary. Be sure to include him in the count for food and drinks. 
    Posted by lauralee1[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, that's not too bad... that comes out to be $1225 and we were thinking $1125. Thanks for the tip!
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    December 2011 Brides Shoe Challenge!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards